main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda living on Coruscant is wrong.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Not only do I feel Yoda on Coruscant is appropriate given the PT, I think it would make a lot of sense even in terms of the OT as well. I know that staement is unclear, but it will be more obvious what i mean as the post goes on, so bare with me. Now then, people say Yoda was good on Dagobah because he was in touch with lots of living creatures, which he supposedly is not on Coruscant. However, lets pause for a moment and think this statement over. Consider the hundreds of billions of humans that live on Coruscant, the Imperial Senate, and how many more traffic through there daily. Now consider the millions of parasites and virii these humans play host to. Now consider all the "pests" like insects, rats, etc, that could live on such a world, especially since Corsucant doesn't seem to have any natural predators around. Now all the organic material brought in as food from other planets to feed all those masses. And without trees, Coruscant must get its oxygen from fairly large stores of photosynthesizing bacteria, which as a more ecologically successful species would be more populous than large, old trees like those seen on Dagobah. What I am trying to say is that there is a very considerable amount of "life" on Coruscant, it just isn't as obvious as the life on Dagobah.

Along the same lines, people keep talking about a change in Yoda's (and the Jedi as a whole's) philosophy. First off, the Jedi aren't very reliant on technology at all in the PT. Besides the lightsaber, what exactly do they use? What they seem to be reliant on is the ability to see into the future, which they can't do because of the "shroud of the Dark Side." And still don't seem to be able to do effectively in the OT, despite still trying. I don't see how there's any change in philosophy at all as dictated by these facts.

Finally, I think this thread is really talking around the larger issue of fan desire for a "more mystical Jedi Order." However, it doesn't make sense for a centralized government to have as its primary peace-keeping force a highly de-centralized organization. After all, how effective would it be if, when an emergency arose, they had to send someone halfway across the Galaxy, trekking by foot across a dozen desolate and very dangerous planets, all in search of one Jedi Master that could help them out? Let alone needing to assemble something like, say, 200 of them for the battle of Geonosis. Further, the fact that the Jedi participated in the Clone Wars pretty much rules out mystical de-centralization. The reason is that military depends on order, and that armies try to pick important battles to fight. Meaning the territory being fought over is strategically important. How would the Jedi ever get involved if they were widely dispersed hermits on remote, strategically unimportant roles?

That's about all from me.

2. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    To answer that question I refer to my own script-in-the-making, in which the Jedi *knights* function as roaming rangers across the galaxy, who occassionally get called up to the Senate when the Senate needs them. The Jedi *masters*, like Yoda on Dagobah, are those who have reached such a spiritual connection with the Force that they no longer need to be close ("This one, a long time have I watched") unless something like...a Clone War should break out.

3. Skroob

Skroob Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    I have always had a slight problem with the jedi residing on coruscant. I understand that they don't all live there but it does make sense that they would want to live somewhere "more natural" considering what the force is. I dunno.

4. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    Binary said: So where does Lucas have Yoda live in the PT? On a big sterile planet that looks more like the Death Star than anything else.

Lucas should have had Yoda living on Dagobah in the PT. It would have been the perfect hermitic home for him. There the most promising of Jedi would go to be trained by the wisest Jedi Master of them all.

The above quote is a great example of why I'm glad Lucas pays little heed to the fans. This is just plain pitiful and, to be honest, quite embarrassing, yet somehow morbidly amusing.
    Is this rousing new development something you've been stewing over for 3 years, or did it miracously just pop into your head?

5. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    So sure are you? Gusher I once was, gave middle finger to cousin who said 'TPM sucked'. Yet, Binary and his peers gave good arguments. Today, basher I am.

Your credibility, if you even had any, just took a shocking nose dive with this profound statement. LOL
    Maybe you need to rethink your life...

cheers! :)

6. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    Gloria said: I really feel as though Lucas has a major misunderstanding of what a prequel trilogy needs to do storywise.

LOL. This thread is a real doozy!

7. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    hawk said: What is even more disturbing is Lucas' statement that the dark side is stronger. This is, perhaps, a statement made by a man who does not give his own work enough thought.

Stop it man, you're killing me.

8. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    Having Yoda reside on Dagobah throughout the PT doesn't work because:

A) Just about everything Yoda told Luke seemed to be from firsthand experience. Knowing his father, warning of the Emperor, knew about Leia, wars not make one great yada yada.... Anyone watching the OT, child or adult, could plainly tell Yoda had seem some action in his 800 years. He's role would be reduced to a glorified "Oracle". //shudders.

B) See A)

9. fat

fat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2002

[image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~g-b-dix/arguing1.jpg]

10. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    SI, haven't you figured out yet that this board is littered with people who are better storytellers of the Star Wars saga than its creator?

;)

Yoda living on Coruscant is very right for reasons that have already been stated, yet ignored, throughout this thread.

11. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    There isn't necessarily a need for Yoda to witness absolutely everything "first-hand". Remember, Yoda did not witness Luke Skywalker's childhood, yet "a long time have I watched this one...".

12. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, and Yoda was able to make the same character calls on Luke, about his looking off into the future and into the horizon, trusting what he witnessed through the Force enough to make a judgement on Luke and declare him reckless. So Yoda didn't need to be right in the heart of the action to witness it, it could still have affected him emotionally. He wasn't on Tatooine when the Tuskens were killed, but he felt what happened and knew it was disasterous.

13. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    SI: [face_laugh]

I have to agree these guys really are good to laugh at.

And I totally agree with you on this issue.

Yoda on Dagobah = doesn't work.

Its a better transition of his character to have lived on a planet such as Coruscant being apart of a flawed Order. He like his contemporaries were too isolated in their ivory tower. When the Empire rises, he hides on a planet which is teeming with life, and isn't so isolated from the life that is around him.

If you thought Yoda was always on Dagobah you were kidding yourself.

14. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    DT wrote:
    Its a better transition of his character to have lived on a planet such as Coruscant being apart of a flawed Order. He like his contemporaries were too isolated in their ivory tower. When the Empire rises, he hides on a planet which is teeming with life, and isn't so isolated from the life that is around him.

You make far too much sense. Please remove yourself from this forum ;)

15. Storm2904

Storm2904 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    Nah.....

I always enjoy stagnant character development myself.

Police Academy 5? Glorious!

16. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    If it's stagnant character development you want, look no further than the prequels...

17. Storm2904

Storm2904 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    Nice try.

18. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    You make far too much sense. Please remove yourself from this forum

I apologise I shall exit immediately ;)

//exits stage left :p

19. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    next they'll be telling me Obi-Wan should have lived out the PT on Tatooine because......

well, just because.

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think it makes perfect sense for one of the leaders of the Jedi Knights to live on Coruscant. Even if you go with the life theory. There are some 1 TRILLION people on the planet...

21. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    You misunderstand the point, the lot of you. It's not about wether it's possible for Yoda to live on Coruscant or not. It's about keeping his CHARACTERIZATION intact, and expand it in a NATURAL way instead of disrupting and creating a character arc which doesn't work.
    It's about keeping YODA as the mysterious, wise sage of the Jedi, and not this terrible incarnation of the prequels.

22. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    It's not about wether it's possible for Yoda to live on Coruscant or not.

Even though we're in a thread clearly titled "Yoda living on Coruscant is wrong."?

Some scholar started this diatribe of BS (pun intended LOL) and yet there is not one decent argument in this entire thread to back it up. Yoda spending his entire 800 years on a marooned swamp in the outer rim just reeks of a forced excuse to bash the PT...........again.

Yet, for some reason, I dig this thread. I find it HIGHLY amusing.

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    You upped the thread to say that? Now who's finding an excuse to bash?

24. Sith Interceptor

Dec 22, 1999
    Not at all hawk ol' buddy. I was simply replying to a post I hadn't seen. That's what we're here for, eh?

My response was quite relevant IMO.

I'm sorry I waited a few days; it's not like this thread was buried it was only on page 2.

25. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Well it is your opinon that there was no decent argument. I think Binary made a good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.