main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda loved Leia More

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by obidaman99, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obidaman99

obidaman99 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 12, 1999
    Sorry if this topic's conclusions seem obvious. I think that I noticed the context of a scene in The Empire Strikes Back that has changed after seeing Revenge of the Sith.

In Episode 3 Yoda says that "we will hide the children until the proper time" (or something like that).

It is obvious that Obi-Wan and Yoda are waiting for "a sign" from the force to tell them when it is time to train Luke and/or Leia. If they train them right away, the emperor will sense them and all 4 of them will be killed by the empire.

I have long subscribed to the theory that the Jedi needed the rebellion to crop up, so they could have some military backing before training the Skywalker children. Once Luke's presence is felt by the emperor and Vader, he already has a large army surrounding him. Therefore, the proper time is when he is 20 and Obi-Wan receives the message from Leia and him and Luke are thrown together.

HOWEVER, when Obi-Wan sends Luke to Yoda, Yoda says "he is too old to start the training". Why would Yoda say we will wait in Episode 3 if under the old system they were trained at birth? Why was he so resistant to train Luke?

He also says "long have I watchted this one...always looking away to the future...never his mind on where he was..what he was doing"

Ben tries to plead with Yoda to train him.

What is going on here?

Later Ben says "that boy is our last hope" was he discriminating against women? was the time too short to train Leia?

Yoda says "no, there is another" in Return of the Jedi we find out that Leia is the other potential Jedi that could bring down the empire.

the fact is that Ben became attached to Luke because he watched over him, Luke was Ben's boy, he believed in and became emotionally attached to Luke.

YODA RESISTED TRAINING LUKE AT FIRST BECAUSE, USING THE FORCE, HE KEPT AN EYE ON BOTH OF THEM, HE FELT THAT LEIA WAS MORE MATURE, A SEASONED POLITICIAN, MORE SENSIBLE AND POISED.

YODA RESISTS BEN'S PLEA TO TRAIN LUKE BECAUSE LEIA IS HIS GIRL, YODA WANTS TO TRAIN THE GIRL FROM THE GET GO AND GIVES OBI-WAN A HARD TIME BECAUSE OF IT. Yoda thinks that LEIA IS THE BETTER CHOICE, not just ANOTHER OPTION!

Only after watching Episode 3 and seeing that Ben knew about Leia and Yoda agreed to wait until the "proper time" did I realize the context of Yoda and Ben's debate in The Empire Strikes Back.

I originally thought that Ben didn't know about Leia or that Yoda didn't agree to "wait" to train the Skywalkers. Yoda eventually became attached to Luke, but at first his favorite was Leia. Let me know what you think. I'll check back for comments, at work as usual.

ObiDaMan

2. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003

HOWEVER, when Obi-Wan sends Luke to Yoda, Yoda says "he is too old to start the training". Why would Yoda say we will wait in Episode 3 if under the old system they were trained at birth? Why was he so resistant to train Luke?

He also says "long have I watchted this one...always looking away to the future...never his mind on where he was..what he was doing"

Yoda was given Luke a test, a test he failed he miserably. Yoda wanted to see what would happen when Luke faced adversity. The core of Luke's training was pyschological. While it was important for Luke to develop his physical skills and command of the force, the emotional aspect was even more important. Yoda wanted to make sure that Luke would not fall to the darkside when he wasunder pressure. He wanted to make sure that they did not create another Vader. Another pawn of the Emperor to ensure that the Sith would win.

3. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Exactly. Yoda was testing Luke's reactions, to gage how mature he was. Assuming, as the original poster claims, that Yoda knew Leia was more mature and poised, and therefore a better candidate, they missed the point. It is because of Leia's maturity that she would NOT be the better candidate for Jedi training. Leia is completely devoted to the rebellion. She would never sacrifice the amount of time needed to devote herself completely to Jedi training. She knows the rebellion needs her too much. She would refuse. Luke on the other hand, really has nothing better to do. He is not the leader of the rebellion, he is essentially, just a really good pilot for them. He has very limited political power within the rebellion, and could devote himself completely to Jedi training. Luke has always dreamed of following in his fathers footsteps, even when he thought all that meant was being a space pilot. Luke idolized the father he never knew, and when he found out Anakin was a Jedi, it was too good of an opportunity for him to pass up. If Yoda had asked both of them to train, Luke would have immediately answered yes, while Leia would have turned him down so she could get back to her real work, of leading the rebellion.

4. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I dont think Yoda favored Leia; I also beleive that he was testing Luke and Luke failed miserably(like his daddy). He reluctantly trains Luke cause they have no other choice. Now jedi are suppose to be devoted to the force, not have any attachments and must eat, breath, sleep being a jedi. Leia was defienetely not the one for them. Leia is royalty, tainted by politics, is a politician, and is devoted to the rebellion. She also has quite an attitude(all things I love about her). Leia wouldnt have devoted her time to training to become a jedi to kill Vader and the Emperor(though I think she would like to [face_mischief] )

5. Number20

Number20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2005
    I don't think that Yoda favored Leia. The force lead Luke, not Leia, down the jedi path. If anything, Leia, being a politican, would of encountered more resistance from Yoda than Luke did. Remember, Jedi don't really trust or like politicians in the prequels.
    In addition, I would think that Leia has more hate and anger towards the empire and Vader than Luke did, and would of been easier to turn to the dark side by the emperor than Luke turned out to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.