main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda or Mace

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ForceMaster101, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    Me and my friend were argueing on this. Who's better? Yoda or Mace. Who will get more screen time? Yoda or Mace. My choice is Yoda what about you?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Yoda, without a doubt.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Mace is regarded as the 2nd best Jedi on the council. Guess who's #1?

I assume Yoda'll get more screen time too.

4. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Windu and Yoda have the same power so they are equal.

We never seen Windu in a lightsaber duel and Yoda's duel was laughable so I would say neither

They are both equal.

Who said that Yoda was the baddest Jedi in the Galaxy.

I thought it was Anakin.

5. DiMiT

DiMiT Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2001
    I thought this was gonnabe a traitor question

...could have been

difficult to see the future is

Yoda way more powerful

6. CCK

CCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    yoda rules. no doubt about it!
    i hope we get to see mace do something important and interesting this time though.IMO there's been zero character development. just his fight with jango and lots of 'prophesy' lines. i hate this crap of describing all the cool stuff in starwars and not showing it! if he's such a powerful jedi show us why!

7. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I think Mace is more powerful.

But Yoda is the one who survives...

8. PadmeSolo00

PadmeSolo00 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Im hoping for a lightsaber duel with Mace, maybe against Sidious... we haven't seen him with a light saber..... *crossses fingers*

9. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    I can't see Sidious using a lightsaber.

I'd quite like to see him using his lightning on Yoda though, and demonstrating why Dooku is only the apprentice...

10. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Please stick to the topic at hand. If you wish to discuss the posibility of Palpatine using his force lighting, do it in the appropriate thread. :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

11. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Who is better? Easy! YODA.

Who is wiser? Easy! YODA.

Who is more powerful? Easy! YODA.

Who is more of a punk? Easy! MACE.

Who is more useless a character? Easy! MACE.

Who is really unnecessary to the Star Wars saga? Easy! MACE.

The fact is that Mace could be removed from the entire saga, his lines given to Jedi (X), his choices given to Jedi (Y), and his actions given to Jedi (Z), and it would make no difference to the overall story -

I can appreciate points raised by others that Mace symbolizes this or that and I can appreciate that Mace is Yoda's counterpart, as some interpret. But all of these points would have been better shown in the Jedi as a whole, rather than in one "bad-@ss" Jedi.

to digress a little bit . . . I wouldn't have this opinion, perhaps, if GL had given the part to a different actor such as Lawrence Fishbourne. But still, the points above are valid.

12. Mauls_Other_Half

Mauls_Other_Half Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2001
    Hmm...sorry, but I can't let that just slip by.

Mech-E, its not a logical argument to claim that Windu's character is useless and unnecessary, and that his lines could be given to another jedi...but then say this wouldn't be the case if the role was played by another actor.

So which is it? The actor or the character that you have a problem with...?

13. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    yea YODA rocks!
    I hate Mace but he's only cool when he fights with his saber.
    Yoda ROCKS NO MATTER WHAT!

14. Mech-E_Jedi

Jun 11, 2002
    OK - OK . . . you caught me. ;)

Fundamentally, I perceive that the character of Mace is unnecessary. GL's choice to use Sam Jackson for the part exacerbates my opinion, and makes me all the more obstinate about Windu's superfluousness.

But I must admit that if GL had cast Mr. Fishbourne - Mace would still be unnecessary, but a whole lot cooler to watch, thereby pacifying the anti-Mace schmoe such as yours truly.

How's that?

15. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    I think the whole point of Mace is that he's a Jedi who is seen to be high up and powerful, who the audience can name and identify with, and whose death will be symbolic of the death of the order in Episode III when he gets overwhelmed by dozens/hundreds of clone troopers.

16. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Yoda will get more screen time. I like Mace better though cause he's such a bad ass! If you haven't read Matt Stover's Shatterpoint novel, DO SO! You'll see why Mace is the baddest MF in the galaxy.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    ah, yet another "Yoda or Mace" thread. ;)

Yoda is the head of the Council - EVERYONE, including Mace, looks to him for guidance. 'Nuff said in terms of leadership and wisdom.

In terms of "who would I rather face on a dark street at 3am?" Yoda. Even though he is most likely stronger in the Force than Mace ("his midichlorian count is off the chart! Not even MASTER YODA'S is this high"), Mace Windu seems more ruthless and probably more likely to kill me in a duel.

An interesting thread I read elsewhere asked if Obi-Wan would become as powerful as Mace (i.e., by ANH).

18. Mech-E_Jedi

Jun 11, 2002
    Not to pick on you in particular . . . but it's this very attitude that aggravates my opinion about Mace.

To me, a true Jedi should never aspire to the title "baddest MF" or anything like unto it.

It's oxymoronic. "He's wise and pugnacious." They just don't go together.

Do I see Yoda as a adroit warrior? Certainly. Do I want to call Yoda the "baddest MF in the galaxy?" No - because the two DO NOT mean the same thing.

It is because of Sam Jackson that the character of Mace has a false aura of "bad-@ss-ness" which just doesn't work with the aura which a Jedi should have.

If you removed SLJ's Mace from the story, you simultaneously raise the collective IQ of the viewing audience.

. . . this is all IMHO, of course.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "of course". ;)

I kinda take exception to your saying "getting rid of SLJ/Mace raises the collective IQ of the audience."

Basically, you're saying:

liking Mace = stupid.

Let's try an allegory...no, more of a comparison.

Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader.

Palps is probably more powerful, wiser, clever, evil, ambitious, patient and subtle than Vader.

But Darth Vader is the biggest bad-ass of all time: he's 7 feet tall, wears black armor, chokes people when he's annoyed, and is full of classic lines like "all too easy".

2 different types of evil: Vader and Palps.

2 different types of Jedi: Yoda and Mace.

I would say that Mace is the Jedi counterpart of Vader - no doubt he's wise, compassionate,etc., but we love him because he ROCKS - purple lightsaber, shaved head, "this party's over". [duffman]oh yeah![/duffman]

I actually like the fact that all Jedi aren't like Yoda: it would be boring, but it would also lessen Yoda's special quality.

I think we are definitely supposed to see Yoda as what the ideal Jedi should be: The Saint or Wise Man.

Mace is The Warrior.

Qui-Gon is The Rebel.

Obi-Wan is The Loyal Knight.

Anakin is The Hero.

Now, as far as your complaint about the casting of SLJ goes, I can totally see your point.

In TPM, I was kinda skeptical - what was the point? He just sat there! But I guess that was the point, in an Ivory Tower way.

I liked him a lot better in AOTC. But I think Lucas only expanded his role because everyone thought Mace was cool in TPM (could be wrong on this).

What will happen in Episode III? We'll see.

I think Mace would have the same problems if Lucas had casted Fishburne (plus, it would be like Morpheus 2.0).

Generally speaking, I don't think SW should have that many name actors - because when you've got someone who's so recognizable, it's harder to imagine them in the GFFA.

I wonder if a no-name played Mace if we all would have loved it.

Or maybe his lines would fall flat if not delivered by Sam. ;)

20. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Mace is too arrogant. Yoda is much wiser.

21. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    mace is a more powerful duelist, and i think we'll see that in 3....yoda is more powerful in his knowledge of the force, the fact that mace doesnt survive episode 3 means nothing, he may sacrafice himself for yoda and obi-wan to escape.... maybe mace will say something to the effect of... i may be the only one able to defeat this sith, you two had better get outta here! i think thats possible, as mace has the best lightsabre technique, and the most difficult

22. darth_tooth

darth_tooth Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2003
    y doesnt yoda have a hat

yoda needs a hat

23. da2ce7

da2ce7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2003
    A HAT! Why?
    Maby Yoda is Stuck on some Stupid Pirate Ship and His Green Hed is getting a bit to hot.

Mace Rock's He is such careter that you can feal his "Inner Will" and "Up Most Want of Peace"
    Yoda Has A Very Strong (Not Hard) Strong Atmosphere, When he Comes onto the Seen, Changing the Problem with a Corection in the Best (not the quickest) way.

I Like both of these very Good and Well Played Characters. But Just Beacuse Yoda Has A Green LightSaber (My Favorite Colour) I Like Him The Best.

24. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    yoda needs a hat

No, he needs a hug [face_love]

25. Mech-E_Jedi

Jun 11, 2002
    OK - ok . . . master Garth Marl correctly called me on the "like Mace = stupid" comment. That was inappropriate.

However, I will take exception to this statement:
    But Darth Vader is the biggest bad-ass of all time: he's 7 feet tall, wears black armor, chokes people when he's annoyed, and is full of classic lines like "all too easy".
    specifically the use of the term "bad-ass". Perhaps it's my upbringing, perhaps it's my level of maturity, but whenever I hear that term used to describe anyone, I think less of speaker and reference.

I call it as fact that the definitive "bad guy" in film is Darth Vader. Entire generations have grown up with Vader as the quintessential incarnate of evil.

But I DO NOT feel that Vader is "bad-ass". That directly implies a "punk" - a pugnacious or belligerent nature that is bad because they can't think of a better way to get attention.

SLJ brings this "punk" feeling with him to the character of Mace. Whether it is type-casting or not, I don't know. Either way, I don't like the character of Mace, and SLJ doesn't help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.