main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda:Overrated!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IAMJOEKING, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Yoda only became overrated once Lucas made him a speed-enhanced frog with a puke-green glow stick.

2. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    ^^^

Not really.

Silly? Strange-looking? Unnecessary? YES to perhaps all 3.

But his hyper-froggy antics were quite wicked (albeit CGI was a bit queer to the naked eye) - nonetheless Yoda is a real Ace with the saber against Dracula and Palps.

The over-rated comes into play with his failures in decision making and choices as outlined in above posts.

3. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002

Having Yoda as the orthodox Jedi fits better with the character we see in ESB. While it was his idea to have Luke raised by a normal family, he initially deems him too old for training. This tells me Yoda is second-guessing his choice. He wonders if Luke would have been more ready for training had he been raised in the traditions on the PT Jedi. If he wasn't somewhat dogmatic during the PT, it would have gone against the continuity of his OT character.

4. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    But what about Kenobi telling us that Yoda was the man that trained him?

Putting Yoda in the Jinn role would have flowed nicely with that little OT precept.

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    To be honest, the Jedi age limit in the PT never really made a lot of sense, particularly in the context of that TESB scene. Yoda's "Too old" protest is half-hearted at best - in fact it's the weakest of all his attempted refusals of Luke's candidacy. Yet with the way the issue plays out in the PT, that should have been Yoda's most vehement objection.

So let's consider this another change to add to my list - cut the stuff about age limits and the one-master-one-apprentice rule. Yoda simply takes on Anakin as another apprentice. This change has the added bonus of making it slightly more excusable for the Jedi to bring a nine-year-old into the middle of a war zone as if it was "take your child to work" day

6. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    Agreed.

Damn, the kid's 'count' was off the charts. [face_hypnotized]

We all empathsize with Jinn as he and Anakin stand tall before THE MAN and get the refusal speech. :mad:

Why in the galaxy did Yoda have to be part of that idiotic, refusing facts, blind choice?

The PT should have kept Yoda outta the Anakin stuff (more Kenobi-Yoda stuff) - keep his rep clean - so as JKH mentions - we believe Yoda can do some great things with Luke on Dagobah.

Yoda seems so confused in the OT nowadays.

You planned out Luke's journey from birth, bud! Get your hands on Luke early and do your thing Jedi Master!

Lucas ruined it.

EDIT -

Qui-Gon dragging along Anakin at the Theed Hangar = Bring your kid to work day. =D=

Good stuff man!

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    But what about Kenobi telling us that Yoda was the man that trained him?

Yoda did train Obi-Wan . . . when the latter was a youngling.

8. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    :rolleyes:
    That holds little water DRush.

I saw Jinn train Kenobi, heard that Dracula trained Jinn, and also heard in the movie that Yoda trained Dracula.

Where was Yoda's apprentice on Kashyyk? How come Yoda did not take his apprentice to fight Palps or Dracula?

Yoda was kicking it in the Ivory Tower, maybe doing a saber demo or two for the 'cruit younglings, sipping coffee in the archives, and calling shots on WHO should train WHO ...

Ask a fan --- who trained Obi-Wan Kenobi??

Casual moviegoer who watched TPM might say Liam Neeson - but we know who it was :)

9. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Not following you. I just explained that I personally never saw him as flawless in the OT, and even less got the impression that he would be so in the PT by what was told and implied in the old movies.

I don't care to repeat my posts. But here's another thought:

To me Yoda is a tragic hero, never a flawless mentor. Sure he knows more than most, but his problem is that the universe won't dance to his tune, and he doesn't really accept that notion until he's close to death. He failed in the PT, and suffers for it until Luke puts things right. Neither Yoda nor Obi-Wan seem to agree with Luke that there is hope of turning Vader back to the light, and they are both wrong. Luke rights things by being different from his father, and different from his mentors. Luke would not have done it without them, but they would never have been redeemed without Luke.

Not only Vader had a cross to bear through the OT.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes yes, to Adali-Kiri you listen!

11. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    Well the bone of contention is what we thought of Yoda from '80 to '99.

Of course the PT changed Master Yoda - and made him highly flawed - and over-rated in my book.

The discussion seemed to be revolving around ... should Lucas have shook out the PT to have Yoda LESS flawed?

Short answer - YES, Yoda could have been kept out of the Jedi failure of the PT, and thus be a great go-to guy for the Last Hope in ESB.

Long answer - NO, Yoda's PT presentation was perfect because the 'depth' and burden of his failure added to his mystique and know-how on Dagobah.

There is merit to both views I believe. At least up until 1999. :oops:

But no question about what was said, about Yoda having a "cross to bear" since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.