main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda/R2 in TESB........

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by simpsonjedi, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simpsonjedi

simpsonjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    I was watching TESB yesterday and was curious about Yoda and R2's interaction while on Dagobah. It seemed that when Luke went into the cave that R2 bleeped something to Yoda who looked kinda discouraged. I wonder if Yoda understands R2's "language" and they were talking about the similarities(at that point) between Ani/Luke. Most of this dialogue could have taken place while Luke was in the cave. Any thoughts? Remember......Artoo knows everything.

EDIT:spelling

2. tavis12

tavis12 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2005
    At that point, Yoda had never seen R2 before. I know they met in the PT, but that was 20 real-life years away, and GL hadn't thought up the PT yet. You?re seeing what you want to see.

3. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Anyway, lets say thats not the way it was, who knows what was said. Also despite the fact that they did meet in the PT, it wasn't like they were all budddy bud.

4. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Whoa, that's an interesting theory!

5. Annadalla

Annadalla Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    R2: Bleep bleep bloop
    Yoda: Yes...like Vader that one is..
    R2: Bloop bleep bleep
    Yoda: Think he is different? We shall see...

GOOD THEORY! LOVE IT!

6. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Well, I for one think that Obi-Wan and Yoda may have recognized R2-D2 and possibly C-3PO. I definitely believe that Obi-Wan knows more than he's letting on to Luke in A New Hope, and Yoda's probably doing the same thing. Remember, they're trying to manipulate Luke to become a Vader-killing machine and they can't do anything that would lead to Luke asking too many questions that would lead to his father or, even worse, his mother. Those of you who know anything about Revenge of the Sith will know what I'm getting at here.

7. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    In retrospect, when I watch their interactions now, I can image a frustrated Artoo accusing Yoda of being a con-man.

"I know who you are ya little freak! I got your number frog! Drop the act clown!"

8. jedi-phish

jedi-phish Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    I doubt very seriously that R2 remembers anything from Anakin's days. Droids get memory wipes pretty often (how many times has your hard drive been lost on your home PC?), so it's likely that R2 doesn't recognize Yoda. If he had, he wouldn't have been trying to protect Luke's camp items from the little guy who crashed the party and started stealing pen lamps.

IMO I just think Yoda and R2 were able to communicate - much the same way that everyone is able to understand Chewie - it's more about expression than actual words or language.

9. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

I will never understand why people cant accept the fact there are THOUSANDS of droids that look like R2 and THOUSANDS of droids that look like C3P0.

Even if Yoda recognized Artoo- what would that prove?

Yoda have very little, and i mean very little interaction with a droid 20 years ago and you expect him to remember him?

:rolleyes:

CLone

10. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    At the risk of giving a 'slight' Ep3 spoiler, Lucas himself has made it clear that Artoo's memory is perfectly intact into the years ahead.

On a side note, its been revealed in some recent publishing (Not the ROTS Novel) that apparently Artoo's memory remains intact -to say nothing of the droid itself- a hundred years after Ep6.

Apparently the whole; "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Is the telling by Artoo to a Shaman of the Whills about the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker.

Ergo, the 'Journal of the Whills'

11. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Artoo Deetoo is unforgetable. I'm sure Yoda remembers him, and the droid probably remembers Yoda too. But with decades separating their initial meeting, it really isn't important since both characters have been through a lot between that time.....

12. Jawas_Poodoo

Jawas_Poodoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    i think artoo and yoda probably did talk about old times when luke wasn't around.

Yoda: "Jar-Jar, annoying was he, doomed us all he did."

R2: "Bleep-boop-whizz-warble-bleep"

Yoda: "Agree, we both do."

R2: "Beep."

Yoda: "Tempted by the darkside only once I was, when around was he."

R2: "Boop-buzz-warble-warble-woot!!"

Yoda: (laughter) "Much thought I of doing that also. A dead Gungun, the only good Gungun be."

Luke: "What's was that master...?"

Yoda: "Oh...surprised me you have...uh...do or do not there is no try!"

R2: "Buzz..."

13. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Darth_Digital, that has to be the best piece of info on star wars I have heard in a long time. Real cool.

14. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    That would be cool to have that at the end of Jedi somehow..

CLone

15. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    The prequels were not in George Lucas' mind by this point, but I guess you can still apply that theory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.