main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Yoda screwed up!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by CessnaDriver, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2002
    OK, Yoda allowed Count Dooku to escape with the Death Star plans because he stopped the column from collapsing on the boys right?
    What if he let them die and finished off Dooku right there, more than likely he would have found the Death Star plans as well.
    Wouldnt that have served the greater good better? Stopping the Death Star from ever being created and possibly exposing Palpatines whole scheme?
    I have my theorys but I will withhold them
    for now......

2. Darth_Vegeta

Darth_Vegeta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    But if Anakin had died, there would be no Luke to revive the Jedi Order. The rest of the Jedi still would have been killed in the Clone War, Palpatine/Sidious would find another apprentice, and I'd bet that if Dooku knew about the Death Star, then Sidious/Palpatine knew about the Death Star, and it would be built anyway. And there would be no Luke to destroy it.

3. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I think Yoda made the correct decision. He saved the Jedi's lives and in doing so Count Dooku/Tyranus got away. Yoda knew that was not his last encounter with Dooku and I'm sure he had every confidence that he would be able to stop Dooku, just not that day. Yoda has patience.

4. CessnaDriver

May 7, 2002
    Something else about that scene........
    Obviously Yoda can lift extremely heavy objects though with some effort. However why couldnt he have simply wisked the two of them away from underneath the column, that would have been much faster and hardly take any effort for him, as the weight of two jedis must have been nothing compared to the weight of the column, and he totally would have had time to take on Dooku.
    I dont think Yoda could tell what was going to happen so far down the line that he conciously knew to save them over stopping Dooku, I think that he was in service to The Force at that point, and The Force was guiding all there destinys from the beginning.

5. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    ^ Maybe Yoda took an emergency medical training class and knew that you are not supposed to move an injured person, you are supposed to leave them where they are till an EMT arrives. ;)

I think Lucas wanted Dooku to survive till Episode III, that is why he had Yoda do what he did. I still think Yoda made the right decision though.

6. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Anakin needs to strike down Dooku in order to make his journey to the Dark Side complete and take his place at the Emperor's side.

7. CessnaDriver

May 7, 2002
    Everything is happening because there is an imbalance in the Force? What caused this imbalance? The birth of Palpatine maybe?
    I think The Force created Anakin as the only one strong enough to handle turning to the darkside for so long to destroy the emperor at just the right moment.

8. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    The imbalance is caused by too many Jedi and not enough Sith.

The Jedi destroyed the Sith thousands of years ago; so now there is an imbalance of good over evil. To make things even, Anakin must become evil and strike down the Jedi.

That's why Luke is a Grey Jedi; he's already balanced. ;)

9. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Wait, isn't the imbalance in the Force due to the fact that there are more Jedi than Sith? Anakin being the one to bring balance to the Force means being the one to wipe out all the extraneous Jedi...

10. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    I like DarthBrian's explanation for Yoda's actions best. "Anakin needs to strike down Dooku in order to make his journey to the Dark Side complete and take his place at the Emperor's side."

Did George Lucas ever explain exactly what "bringing balance to the Force" meant? Is what GreyJedi and JediG60racer said above the official explanation, or merely conjecture?

11. Darth_Vegeta

Jan 3, 2001
    Since we're getting hypothetical on this post, please pardon the musings of a madman...

I was wondering why Owen Lars never recognized or remembered C3P0 in ANH. I mean, the droid lived with him for nearly a decade, right? Then I remembered that C3P0 never gets a chance to introduce himself to Owen:

O: You, I suppose you're programmed for ettiquette and protocol.

3P0: Protocol? Why sir, it's my primary function.

and etc. He never gets to do the "Hello, I am C3P0, human-cyborg relations" routine. But why doesn't Owen even bother to find out his ID number? Is he that pissed at Luke that he's becoming absent-minded? Has he owned so many of the droids that it's not a big deal to him? But the droid was uniquely created by Anakin, so wouldn't that mean Owen should recognize the unique voice?

Also, when did 3P0 ever program binary load lifters? And here's food for thought...the droid denies knowledge of Tatooine even though he spent much of his, well, life in the Lars homestead. Will a memory wipe come into play?

Any thoughts?

(excuse me as I return to Age of Empires...) :D

12. CessnaDriver

May 7, 2002
    Vader: "3P0, I am your father!"

3P0: "oh My, thats impossible!

13. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Can you say "memory erased"?

I'm sure both 3PO and R2 have be "reformatted" more than once over their lifetimes.

At least, that's my explanation.

As far as the balance issue, no that is not official it's just my take on it.

14. William_the_bloody

William_the_bloody Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002
    I think that Grey Jedi's explanation is just conjecture. I agree with their conjecture, however everything I have read from Lucas interviews etc seems to imply that Anakin brings balance to the force by killing The Emporer in Return of the Jedi. I can't think of where I read this off the top of my head. I think it makes more sense that Anakin brings balance to the force by killing all the "good" Jedi and making it so that there are only Two Jedi and only two Sith in the galaxy.

15. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    "Balance" seems like it would be a good thing to have, yet killing Jedi is NOT a good thing. If the deaths of the Jedi are required to have balance, I'd much prefer the Galaxy Far Far Away to remain unbalanced.

16. William_the_bloody

William_the_bloody Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002
    I'd have to agree with you there MJfan. Is balance all that desireable if it requires the murder of thousands of Jedi? Thats why I like Lucas' explanation (as I remember it) a lot better. Maybe the way that the Jedi use the force is harmonious (does not cause an imbalance in the force) and the way that the Sith use the force is discordant (causes an imbalance in the force). The appearance of the Sith seems to have diminished the powers of the Jedi(as Mace Windu states in AOTC). Perhaps this has something to do with the whole balance issue.

17. Mara_Jade_Fan

Feb 1, 2002
    I like your theory William! I was wondering how the Jedi's powers were being diminished. No wonder they could not sense that Palpatine was Sideous in Episode 1! Maybe a Dark Lord acts like a "black hole" somewhat regarding the Force. When they are around, they pull all the Force (light) towards them. hmmmm puzzling this is...yes...

18. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    No, bringing balance to the force (from the Jedi pov) would be destroying all the Sith. Remember, "The dark side clouds everything." and "I think it is time we informed the senate that our ability to use the force has dimished." Bringing balance to the force as far as the Jedi are concerned is to destroy all the Sith and eradicate the darkside. The Jedi lose power whenever there is a Sith. The more powerful the Sith, the less powerful the Jedi are. Anakin brings balance to the Force in ROTJ by turning good and then killing the Emperor. Why would the Jedi want to train Anakin if "bringing balance to the force" means equalling the number of Jedi and Sith?

19. Darth_Vegeta

Jan 3, 2001
    And if the # of Jedi equals the # of sith, why does Yoda tell Luke that he must confront Vader if not to turn him to the light side so he can destroy the emperor?

20. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    But the Jedi Council denied the existance of the Sith in Ep I, so therefore in their mind all the Sith were exterminated and only the Jedi remained.

It was only when Qui-Gon fought Darth Maul on Tatooine that they would even entertain the notion of the Sith (and even then, barely). So in the 10 years between Ep I and Ep II they have come the grips the with existance of the Sith.

And Yoda's words to Luke in ESB refer to the confrontation between good and evil; it is entirely Luke's idea that Vader can be turned to the Light - everyone else believes Vader/Anakin is lost to the Dark Side.

21. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    about balance to the Force...

i think that the Jedi Council aren't really sure what this means... they might feel that there is a current imbalance, due to the growing presence of the dark side (clouding things from them) and maybe the growing evil in the galaxy as the Republic is losing stability. They hope that balance will be good for the light side... keeping it from sliding away.

as for what it really means, i think it is the decimation of both the centers of hte light side, and the centers of the dark side (too much power concentrated in too few beings).. not only were the sith acting as black holes, the jedi were white holes... and the tug of both threatens to rip the rest apart. anakin restores balance by removing the higher concentrations of Force control... first the jedi, then the sith. (maybe too much midichlorians were inside people, and needed to be released into the galaxy proper)

after endor... what was the number of powerful force users making an impact on the galaxy - less than the number of fingers on both of Yoda's hands, certainly... (not that anyone could count on Yoda's hands since he had become one with the Force

as for Yoda saving Obi and Anakin as opposed to striking down the Count... it was the right decision... it's easy to kill someone, but really tough to bring people back from the dead.

as for Anakin dashing in to fight the Count after Obi-wan gets knocked out of hte fight... "Who's the more foolish... the fool, or the fool who follows"

Yoda screwed up in the first place by deciding that Anakin was initially not to be trained by the Jedi because he sensed fear in him. Later, Yoda or Mace should have trained Anakin, rather than Obi-wan who had never trained anyone before. Despite the fear, and the attachment to his mother, train him anyway -- keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

22. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Okay, long reply post so this one can be skipped if you don't have time to read...

JJ your post makes the assumption that only a few people have midiclorians; but according to Qui-Gon everyone has them.

And, in the Old Republic children are being tested for the Force-sensitivity with those being candidates going to the Temple to train. However, there are many who have the potential to use the Force but choose not to train (or can't, like young Anakin). With the rise of the Empire there is no more testing, therefore no more Jedi are being trained so that within one generation there are no more Jedi at all, except those that excaped the slaughter by Vader.

In the interactive fiction written in the Chronicles of the Grey we are currently preparing to speculate on the phenomenon of what happened to the Jedi between Ep III and Ep IV. Anyone interested can go to http://www.greyjedi.com/discus/ and check our posts out.

Be warned though, the Chronicles are like a soap opera and you just have to jump in and start reading. There really is no good place to start. However, the writers are making a five year leap beginning June 1 to catch up to the AOTC timeline.

23. Obi-WanQuadinaros

Obi-WanQuadinaros Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    I don't understand this whole balance thing, but I find it interesting that the term "light side" is never used in any of the films. No one goes around saying "May the light side of the force be with you" or "The light side of the force is with us." Maybe there's just the Force and it's unbalanced by having a dark side.

24. CessnaDriver

May 7, 2002
    maybe its more like a pendulum, swinging from good to bad in an endless cycle rather then being in perfect balance all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.