main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda should have known he couldn't kill Sidious because he wasn't the Chosen One, but...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by blastshield, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blastshield

blastshield Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2004
    ... the Jedi still believed the force needed balance even when they thought the sith were extinct. so the question is : did yoda think killing the sith master would not be balancing the force?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Actually they were skeptical that Anakin was the Chosen One because they thought the Sith were extinct, and therefore no balance was needed. Qui-Gon was originally the one who believed in Anakin and that the Sith had returned. Also note that Yoda thought the prophecy may have been misread, and therefore perhaps Anakin wasn't the Chosen One, or perhaps the prophecy was not one that would come true.

3. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004

the jedi still believed the force needed balance even when they thought the sith were extinct.

i assume you mean that they believed the force was out of balance before they learned about the sith?

there's no indication of that.
    they believed in the prophecy and that someone would bring balance, but they didn't know when.
    obviously, when the sith showed up at the end of tpm, they put 2 and 2 together...

4. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    nonetheless, it was his duty and he didnt flinch for a second after everything that happened, who doesnt love that little green guy!

5. blastshield

Aug 20, 2004
    didnt ob1 say : "it(the prophecy) was said you(anakin) would destroy the sith, not join them" this makes me think that the jedi now realized the sith were the unbalancing factor.

6. namnlos

namnlos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    In RotS, he suggests that the Prophecy could have been mis-read, and judging by Mace's nodding in agreement, it could be argued that this view was widespread within the Council.

7. blastshield

Aug 20, 2004
    it just makes me think that yoda should have known that only the chosen one would be able destroy the sith lord, unless as what was said above about the prophecy being misread or false was in yodas thinking.

8. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    but since anakin joind the sith perhaps yoda made the assumption that anakin was not the chosen one after all. and so he had to stop the sith himself. he had to at least try. and he failed. "do or do not there is no try"

luke "I don't belive it"

yoda"that is why you fail"

or perhaps yoda knew anakin was the chosen one in the back of his mind he still had to confrot sidious buit in the back of his mind he knew he could not win.

9. robbie_wan_kenobi

robbie_wan_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2003
    maybe yoda thought HE was the chosen one [face_thinking]

i think it was pretty obvious from what was said in the film that the jedi wernt convinced the prophecy had been read correctly - so when anakin turned nasty all hope of it had gone....

10. blastshield

Aug 20, 2004
    i bet after yoda got his ace handed to him by sidious he knew there needed to be a chosen one. makes you wonder if yoda knew luke would not defeat the emperor, but might confince vader to.

11. robbie_wan_kenobi

May 2, 2003
    or maybe thought luke would be the chosen one.
    which makes it more understandable why he went into hiding on his own for soooo long. he must have believed it would be worth the wait

12. blastshield

Aug 20, 2004
    but he knew vader was lukes father.. wasnt the chosen one supposed to be a product of the force?

13. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    everything is a product of the force.

14. robbie_wan_kenobi

May 2, 2003
    'product of the force', havent heard that before.
    dont forget, luke was a product of a product of the force so still counts :p

15. blastshield

Aug 20, 2004
    i mean, for instance : qui-gon knew when he heard "there was no father" that anakin was concieved by the force to balance it.

16. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    yes, but lets say yoda accepts anakin/vader to be the chosen one. the jedi have lost him. there is no hope left except these two children. yoda has to belive luke can find a way to stop the emperor and vader. that perhaps the prophecy was misread, how it all works out is not as clear cut as they imagened it would be. what is meant by balence? its no accident that the actual prophecy is never spoken in the films. its left to our imagination. so we have something else to speculate on. what is it the chosen one is supposed to do?

what if yoda now belives the children are what anakin was supposed to create. does he belive luke to be the chosen one, or leia? what is his own role in all this. was he supposed to die at the hands of the empire? or by surviving what does he accplish if luke never seeks him out? yoda has faith in the force

"for my ally is the force"

it speaks to him it tells him what to do. things may not have gone as he had hoped but he knows what he has to do.

17. blastshield

Aug 20, 2004
    i guess the answer is yoda didnt hold the chosen one to be a religious icon of the force like christians hold Jesus Christ. the one who will return to cast away evil.

18. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    I think this is along the same line of discussion as this older thread

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=20737356&start=20737356&search=the+prophecy

:D

19. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    or perhaps he does not belive anakin to be the chosen one at all. the jews are jews still because thay are still waiting for the "first comming" christians are waiting for the secondcomming.

yoda knows the sith have to be stoped. so he has hope they (obi, himself, luke, leia) can put a stop to the empire, to the sith. like it had been done 1000 years before. there are so many varibairels.

yoda had to face sidious. perhaps just to make sure the prophecy is correct. for whatever reason yoda did what he had to do. what the force told him to do.

20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [Yoda] "Destroy the Sith we must!" [/Yoda] *taps gimmer stick*

Should have been:

[Yoda] "Sidious will whip my butt!" [/Yoda] *taps gimmer stick*

21. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Given the choices Anakin has made, and given that they are unsure of the truth of the Prophecy, how can Yoda just assume Anakin is the Chosen One at this point in the story?

We need to take a step back (or forward) and look at the stage we are at the in the story. We've seen ROTJ and we know Anakin brings balance eventually. We're not there yet in ROTS. Anakin hasn't brought balance, the Sith are just about to secure control of the Galaxy, and there are only two Jedi left: Yoda and Obi-Wan. They have a job to do, and they go and do it as best they can. Because, as of that moment, there is no Chosen One.

Because Anakin fell to the Dark Side, at that point, even if he did kill Sidious, it would have been like the alternate ROTS ending in the ROTS game. Anakin would have become the new Emperor and balance would still be shaken. He brings balance when the Sith are destroyed, not when Darth Sidious is destroyed.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin became a Sith, thus the Prophecy became null and void. Obi-wan says as much.

Obi-wan: "You were the Chosen One!"

23. -JediRevan-

-JediRevan- Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    What i dont get is why Yoda and OB1 didnt just go together to fight Sideous. 2 on 1 they would have beat him easy. Then they could have gone to get anakin.

24. JediJain

JediJain Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2005
    Hello, I am new here, but...

I just watched Revenge of the Sith again today.

One thing I noticed-

The part about the prophecy.

I kept rewinding and what I think YODA means is- "a Prophecy that misread..."

I think he is saying, the chosen one (ANAKIN) instead of bringing balance to the force and end the war...will REALLY Destroy the Jedi. So I think that Yoda and Mace may have known what Anakin was going to do...

What do you think?

25. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    rewinding?

go to jail, you should

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.