main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda Shouldn't have Died in ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by crowntown2007, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crowntown2007

crowntown2007 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2007
    He should of came back and took care of Sidious on the Death Star (redemption) while Luke saves his father in a different scene somewhere else on the Death Star or on Endor.

Butt Edit: Title grammar.

2. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Except Yoda can't beat Sidious. Sidious has gotten stonger while Yoda has remained at the same power level or gotten weaker. Plus, no matter how hard Yoda tried, he could not beat Palpatine because it was Vader's destiny. Also, Yoda is greedy. If the Force is telling him his time is up, then he's going to go along with it.

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It also would have weakened the Luke-Vader-Sidious confrontation to have one of Luke's mentors there.

4. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Exactly Master_Starwalker - this was Lukes confrontation. There wouldnt have been any drama if Yoda was there to help him. The scene is perfect.

Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
    "I felt that one of the major issues in the third film is that Luke is finally on his own and has to fight Vader and the Emperor by himself. If you get a sense that Yoda or Ben is there to help him or to somehow influence him, it diminishes the power of the scene."
    - George Lucas

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  6. OBIJUAN76

OBIJUAN76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    As cool as that would have been I agree, it would have diminished the power of the scene to have Yoda there! I thought that it was equally if not more powerful having Yoda, Ben, and Anakin all together as Force ghosts at the end!

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004

Yea word up to that. People keep pushing that both trilogies have to sync up exactly to match eachother. It's Anakin Skywalkers, y'know, the chosen one's destiny to take down Sidious/ The Emporer. It's just logical that Yoda accept that, remain in hiding and help destroy the sith on the sideline. After that, why does Yoda have to live? He's old and weak and tired, let him merge with the force.

8. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    ...and in 1983, Yoda couldn't fight, unless Frank Oz did some amazing acrobatics by detaching his arm and making the Yoda puppet swirl in the air like a madman. But seriously, Yoda didn't belong in that final fight anymore than Obi-Wan would have. However, I still wish every time Vader says "Obi-Wan taught you well", Luke would have stepped up once and said, "I was trained by MASTER YODA."

Mr. K

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yoda had to die, it's part of the journey of the hero.

10. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    However, I still wish every time Vader says "Obi-Wan taught you well", Luke would have stepped up once and said, "I was trained by MASTER YODA."

Absolutely. Luke should have rubbed that in Vaders face, saying wrong, wrong, wrong. :D

11. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I say Yoda sould have taught Luke some lightsaber tactics then died.

12. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Yoda was more shot than Tyson was against McBride.

Emporer KO 1.

Though, I don't see why he couldn't have helped as a force ghost.

Anybody know where I can find that force ghost thread?

Last time I checked the search tool was shot.

13. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Though, I don't see why he couldn't have helped as a force ghost.

Since Obi-wan helped as a Force ghost all thru the saga, but didnt with the Emporer, it would have been very odd to have a Yoda Force ghost help Luke then.

14. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Aye, Ok. Your right.

I would have liked to have seen Yoda apear as a ghost after he died. He could have given him advice with Obi-Wan. Hell, they must have thought that he was dead meat against the emporer. They were wrong of course, as they over estimated Vader. But they were not to know.

Or perhaps Yoda knew all along?

My brother said that he knew Anakin had to serve the emporer if the Jedi were to have their way.

15. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    i think it would have been much better if luke never lost his fathers lightsaber... so than that way when on endor when vader captures luke and looks at his lightsaber there could have been a father son connection.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yoda should have died but maybe in a different part of the movie.
    The movie could've opened with Luke completing his training on Dagobah and then Yoda dies as in the original.

Luke would then be carrying this burden of knowledge through the whole movie and adds some gravity and weight to the Jabba scenes.

17. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006

YES, finaly somebody agrees with me on that topic.

I wish beyond wishes that GL dident create that sithing green lightsaber and kept it at the good color blue!

18. OBIJUAN76

OBIJUAN76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Exactly, I for one could never figure out why Luke didn't tell his father about being trained by Yoda. Having Luke say that would have been the ultimate smack in the face! [face_shame_on_you]

19. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I disagree because the new green saber can metaphorically show that Luke has stepped out of his father's shadow, and is now his own Jedi. It also would have become green anyway since Lucas felt blue didn't show up against the Tatooine sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pxW6Y4gYIU

The early RotJ trailer has Luke with a blue blade though.

Edit: Well, the Tatooine part does.

20. v8er77

v8er77 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2007
    I always thought it was stupid to kill off Yoda. It's like Lucas didn't know what to do with him other than to kill him off.

21. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I think Yoda had to die, so that the Jedi order could also have a fresh start with Luke... the old ways needed to go so that a new beginning could come. The time of Yoda, Obi Wan and even Anakin was over, ad they had to pass the torch to Luke and Leia.

Interesting idea about Luke keeping Anakin's lightsaber to the end, but indeed i'll agree with MS on this one: it shows Luke's grouth and how he separated himself from his father and became his own man.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.