main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda Speak Problem

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediANGELA, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    In my new fic, Little Boy Gone, I've added Yoda, but as I told my readers I have not yet completed Yoda Speak 101. Does anyone have some Yoda speak guidelines? Everytime I try to write Yoda, it doesn't sound right.
    Thanks

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I seriously suggest watching a bit of ESB for classic lessons in Yoda 101.

It always helps me warm up in my Yoda speak skills. ;)

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    It's a little like German. Just put the verb at the end of the sentence.

Or, "the verb at the end of the sentence, you must put!"

4. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    I also find it helps to use Yoda-speak sparingly.

Even Yoda didn't speak like Yoda all the time. Just write simple sentences as is.

I've read several stories that used Yoda-speak for every word Yoda uttered and it was a little much. Hope this helps. :)

Inez

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I agree with inez. Too much Yoda speak just reads really awkwardly. I had a fic once where I wanted Yoda to explain the history of Anakin and Padme to Luke. After a few attempts at structuring the history in Yoda speak, I ended up re-writing the scene so that Yoda started talking and then Ben Kenobi materialized to give the rest of the ghostly explanation.

...definitely, a little bit of Yoda-speak goes a long way.

For the most part put the verb before the noun and use short sentences and you'll be okay. ;)

6. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I also find it helps to use Yoda-speak sparingly.

Ditto. Too much backward speech and it just becomes tedious to read.

7. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    thanks everyone!

8. MoonChild

MoonChild Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    I don't use Yoda in my stories. When I was little I got scared of him.....I was pathetic....

9. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I agree with what's been said. I recently added some Yoda speak to a chapter of my fic and I purposely asked my Betas if it was okay. They approved. :) I did find while writing it that if I tried to much backwards talk, even I got a headache and I needed to change it. So while you are going over the conversation in your head you should consider if the conversation is becoming confusing or annoying to the reader with all this backwards talk or if it all flows.

sg

10. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Yeah, Yoda didn't always talk like that. There are several sentences that he says in AOTC that aren't all wonky.

Dana

11. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    By the way, I have the feeling as if Yoda only speaks when neccessary, and only with sentences which include what he means. No spare words.

If my experience is true, then this might be a hint of his Jedi philosophy : Do only what is neede, don't waste your time (or words) on less important matters. Some kind of asceticism or so.

He speaks few words, never very long sentences, so he acts rather efficiently with his language.

On the other hand, his speech could be used for deducing his own, natural language, assumed that the languege he speaks in is his second language (because it sounds differently than the language other Jedi use).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.