main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda training Luke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Grand_Moff_Jawa, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    When Yoda agreed to train Luke on Dagobah, why didn't he give instruction with the lightsaber?

We now know Yoda had a lightsaber in the PT, did he still have it on Dagobah?

2. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Maybe he figured OB1 handled most of that on the falcon.

Or maybe he did and we didnt see it. Remember- Luke was there for months.

CLone

3. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    This could possibly be a new additional scene that will be inserted into the super fantastic three deee version of this movie, so we might as well wait and see for a definite answer. For now, we'll have to assume yoda taught Luke loads of jedi knowledge, including lightsaber skills while he trained for however many weeks or months they were with each other.

4. Seigiryu

Seigiryu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 27, 2002
    I believe in a documentary, etc. Lucas stated that originally there was a scene where Yoda threw metal discs (?!) at Luke with the Force, and Luke had to bat them away with the lightsaber. Ultimately the scene was too hard to film realistically with the effects availible then though, so it was taken out.

Though even THIS scene did not contain Yoda's lightsaber (who knows, maybe III will explain it by showing Yoda losing his lightsaber in action, or possibly throwing it away into a swamp puddle and cursing "Brought us to ruin, war has" in an epic scene that pacifists will treasure forever...or maybe I'm just daydreaming :) )

Also, while we're on the topic of Yoda training Luke for "months", how many do we think Luke actually spent with Yoda? After all, for every day Luke spent with Yoda on Dagobah Han and Leia had to spend flying at sublight speed to Bespin (how many months of food does the MF have?)

5. DarthFlatulence

DarthFlatulence Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Niether the movie or the novel mentions Yoda with a lightsabre. I don't think at the time that GL envisioned Yoda needing one due to his powers in the Force. I have to admit I was surprised when Yoda whipped it out in AOTC.

However, the ESB novel does go into more detail about Luke's training. It supports the theory that Luke was on Dagobah for weeks or months before going to save Leia and Han. In one "scene", Yoda was throwing bars into the air and Luke had to cut them up before they hit the ground. Luke eventually could slice it into five pieces before it reached the ground. In another scene, Yoda had thrown two training remotes at Luke without warning. Luke fought them off, and they hovered back to Yoda. Luke was all proud of himself, then two more remotes floated up from behind Yoda, and the four remotes attacked Luke. He lost his smugness real quick!

It would have been awesome if those scenes had made it into the movie. Maybe next revision, ehh?

6. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    There was another amusing scene in which Luke is cooking dinner in yodas hut, and 4 seeker droids come up to attack him. He manages to fight them off with a seerving spoon and a pot lid.

It would appear though, that Yoda did have a lightsaber on Dagobah (even if it wasnt his ) because in te marvel series, Luke has a ligtsaber right after Episode 5. When he is fighting Bossk, and the bounty hunter asks him where he got it, Luke replies "the same one that taught me to jump like this" indictating yoda.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    "I have to admit I was surprised when Yoda whipped it out in AOTC."

Why, that little green pervert!

8. Darthgenius77

Darthgenius77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    I don't think movie had a enough to time to keep every scene with Luke and Yoda. I think the most important scenes were Luke coming to understand the force, not his use with a lightsaber, which he can practice. Of course how cool would it have been if Yoda and Luke had been sparing, and Yoda jumping all over Dagobah.

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Come to think of it, we NEVER saw Luke sparring with anyone. His only indoctrination into lightsaber battles was to fight Darth Vader! Not real fair, in my opinion.

10. DarthFlatulence

DarthFlatulence Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    >>>Of course how cool would it have been if Yoda and Luke had been sparing, and Yoda jumping all over Dagobah.<<<

By the time Luke was trained, I think Yoda, Vader, and Palpy were a bit to ancient to be jumping around like in their "younger" days. Yoda was a year away from his death, Vader was good at jumping off platforms, but without the acrobatics, and Palpy had very much aged since his rise as Emperor.

I can just see it now, "Star Wars: Episode 7 - Broken Hip of the Jedi".

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I order for Luke to use the lightsaber well such as in both of his skirmishes against Darth Vader, Yoda had to teach him at least how to use it. We see Yoda teaching the the younglings in the PT with lightsabers, although those could have been dummy lightsabers.

In ESB novel, Yoda gave Luke tests on how to deflect with his lightsaber.

12. Darth_Nascar

Darth_Nascar Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    You just have to realize that Luke spent alot more time with Yoda than we saw and that the reason George didn't give Yoda a lightsaber was beacause of the fact that Yoda was a puppet.

13. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Also if you read the Marvel comics (and consider them canon) than he has two lightsaber duels. One with a baron who trained with a lightsaber for years, but cant use the force (which is how luke beats him), and another with a dark jedi called the Matriarch of Skyeer, which he also beats using a force trick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.