main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda v Sidious: Battle of the Wizards.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EmeraldBlade, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldBlade

EmeraldBlade Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2008
    So we have this scene at the start of their fight that is akin to what we see with Yoda and Dooku. The difference here is that Sidious apparently overwhelms Yoda only to gloat over his body.

Let's speculate.

Was Yoda playing possum, or was Sidious just taking time out to gloat over his destruction of the Jedi Order?

Remember, Sidious later tried to escape.

Discuss.

2. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    IMO . . . genuinely stunned, Yoda was . . . but then the diminutive green one milked it for all he was worth as he lay motionless on the ground (eyes slowly opening) to draw in an over-confident and completely unsuspecting Palpatine.

3. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Yeah, I think they both surprised each other at the beginning, but in the end after the duel, Sidious seems to have the upper hand.

4. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Yoda was trying, but Palpatine was too strong.

5. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    As to the overall fight:

The Novel made out that Yoda could not have won, but on viewing the movie I could have almost scored it even. Sidious gets points for aggression, but the environment, especially at the finale, played a big part.

6. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    I agree, it does just look as though the Senate was not very good place to duel. I should think Yoda was probably winded following the fall - he was too distracted fighting Sids to land, and when he saw his cloak fall onto the pole, he realised the Force was telling him to give up.

7. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    Kind of like a tiny little "Jedi surrender flag," eh!

8. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Agreed. Sidious got the upper hand on Yoda at the beginning of their conflict but Yoda struck a surprise blow just as suddenly. After they drew their sabers, they were both ready for what the other would bring to the duel.

9. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Yes, but do't forget that Sidious tried to run away before hand... after he saw Yoda get up after his Dark Attack, I think he knew that Yoda would be a tough challenge...

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

I have said this before, and this thread is a worthy place to say it again: Palpatine's tossing of the Senate Pods is THEE single greatest use of the Force in all the saga; especially when you compare that to how tedious it was for Yoda to lift a single X-wing from the bog. Sidious called upon the Force solely 'to attack' and what an awesome display it was.

It took everything Yoda had to reflect Sidious' lightning barrage.
    And, when they 'blew-apart' Yoda fell, while Sidious cackled.
    Yoda looked beaten to me as he scurried through the walls, but Palpatine looked like he could go another 12 rounds.

To me... that was SOOOO 'out of Character' for Sidious. It makes no sense to me that the man who trained Maul (who WE KNOW wouldn't run from a fight with ANY Jedi) would try to bail from a one-on-one showdown with Yoda. I don't know WHAT Lucas was thinking when he decided on making Sidious leap for the doorway...

It looked dumb then, and is still just as dumb to me now.

EDIT:
    The only thing I can think of that Yoda had his "Bruce Lee/Enter the Dragon" moment with Dooku and so Lucas wanted to give him a "Ken Watanabe/Last Samurai" moment with Sidious.

11. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    I agree that Sidious thowing the Pods was impressive, but Yoda can be seen stopping one and making it spin and throwing it.

I disagree about the blew-apart sequence, if you watch, Sidious looks like he is really straining at the end to try to get more of his 'unlimited power' to try and fry Yoda, which doesn't work, Yoda is probably more stunned from the fall at the end...

I agree it does seem a bit out of place. All I can offer is that Sidious knew that Yoda was the only Jedi (bar Anakin) who did have the power to destroy him. As we know, Sidious has a lot of will power in wanting to stay alive, and so knows when to fight and when to withdraw. He was using the Sith's new knowledge about hiding, (from the 1000yrs yrs where the Jedi Thought the Sith were gone) that kept them safe for. Maul I feel had no patience, and was to eager to kill the Jedi at the expense of the future

12. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I agree SSS, it was an out of character move for Sidious. The only reason I think that Lucas included it was to give Yoda a small bit of "bring it!" dialogue before the battle began.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The duel between them was done well enough that Sidious didn't come across as a Gary Stu, and neither did Yoda. I liked that Palpatine went 'ass-over-tea-kettle', it made him REAL. When the jump towards the door happened, it felt weird. Then, everyone laughed at Yoda's dialog and the showdown thing took off...

Aside from blowing off Maul's warning about the Jedi's motives and the melty-man-face, Palpatine's leap is the only other 'odd' thing about his PT characterization.

14. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    Agreed. Personally I never quite cared for the way he "fell" into his chair after Yoda counter-attacked. It seemed to silly to me. I would have rather seen him thrown into the wall or the desk with the same force that he exerted on Yoda.

15. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I agree. And about his constant laughing.. I didnt really like that either, i dont really recognize the emperor from Rotj, who i think was great. I wish Sidious had been more like i remembered him in Rotj, he had a darker.. more threatning precence about him then.

16. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    Sidious was definitely crack-headish in that bout.

I found it pretty funny overall, from the way he goes a** over heels at the beginning, to his erratic laughing-turn panic at the end.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I ab-so-lutely loved every single *CACKLE* that came out of Palpatine's mouth.
    Think about the depth of his diabolical-glee, a thousand years in the brewing... it just boiled over. He was soo bloated by the darkside, that he couldn't help himself. Even after he got blasted over his desk...

His *CACKLING* set the tone for Senate duel.
    When he was chucking the POD's, the look on his face was priceless.

He was giddy like a school kid that found a dozen cookies inside his lunchbox instead of a baloney sandwhich.

18. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    I agree 100% with the post above me.

19. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It definitely would be a strange move for a Dark Lord of the Sith to want to escape from a fight with a Jedi.

20. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    This is true.

But I also think that if you've waited this long to destroy the Jedi Order, you're gonna want to savor the moment a bit, you know? It's not every day something like that happens. :p

21. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    So, was the 'fleeing' just a way to get more chuckles?

I mean, he had forever to light Yoda up again as he lay there unconscious.... one of his few mistakes, I suppose.

22. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I wouldn't say the tossing of the senate pods was the greatest use of Force in the saga - - but it was awesome. However, to me Lucas was highlighting pre-burn Vader in that regard throughout ROTS. Nonetheless, Yoda-Sideous was pretty rad all around, I thought both showed up for the party in a pretty cool fashion. I think that it was more difficult than both thought it might be - for different reasons - but as Yoda admitted, Sidious was the man of that battle.

23. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I've always loved this sequence, purely due to the fact that we get to see two of the strongest force-users in the saga face off against each other. :)

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Sideous tossing the Senate pods was an awesome use of the Force, and made a nice effect when Yoda sent one right back at him.

25. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    The "Battle of Wizards," as EmeraldBlade so aptly terms it, is the chili pepper spice that spikes the punch of the Mustafar sequence.

And I tip my virtual hat to Massster Sx3 for brilliantly identifying Palpatine's pod throwing scene as the most awesome display of force powers in the entire six film saga!

I noted earlier, and still believe that Yoda was truly surprised by Palpatine's force blast in his office. But just like Rocky Balboa, this was not a knockout blow. Yoda used every possible moment "on the canvass" to regain his senses and appraise what the Sam Hill just happened to him.

The rest of the Senate Office scene is just the tease, a tit-for-tat that leads each wizard to puff out his chest and stand their ground as we are led into the fangasmic pod fight,

There, atop the pods of democracy which literally represented the fate of the Galactic Republic, Palpatine confidently tossed the pods about like pebbles into a stormy, white-capped ocean while Yoda dodged the fierce force onslaught, struggling for his (and the Republic's) survival.

Man, that's good stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.