Yoda v Sidious: Battle of the Wizards.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EmeraldBlade, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
  1. HighlanderC Jedi Master

star 1
    Have you seen anyone use The Force in real life??? I have yet to see someone do stuff like Jedi's do. So... Till then... Physics do not apply to star wars... For all I care and it's true in the Star Wars universe, it doesn't matter momentum, it matters how much Force is being applied or used to hold the weapon in place when the blow comes.
  2. owner276 Jedi Youngling

If you ask me, Yoda gave up too easily. It's the Jedi equivilant of a kid who gives up a fight because they fell and cut their knee...sad....
  3. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The way I see it, it was more of the fact that he knew he couldn't win so there was no use dying in a futile battle when he knew he could still be relevant and helpful elsewhere.
  4. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Agreed. Yoda knew that he was not in a position to win the battle and felt it more prudent to live and fight another day.
  5. VadersPappy Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I think it's possible Yoda underestimated how powerful the Emperor was. Once he realized they were evenly matched, and since they were on the Emperor's "home turf"-meaning clones were nearby, Yoda thought it was better to stay alive to fight another day.

It does bring up the question-since Yoda did not know about the twins after running away from his fight with Palpy, how did he think he would overthrow the Sith during his exile?
  6. CaptainGiladPellaeon Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Good question. Maybe Yoda's original plan, before learning of the twins, was to train Obi-Wan to destroy the Sith, perhaps hoping that he had already destroyed Vader. Obi-Wan would have the advantage of relative youth to combine with any special additional training Yoda could have given him in exile (plus I think Obi-Wan has more promise than Yoda, if not more knowledge and raw power. He acts less sure of himself, and while not as rebellious as Qui-Gon, he has some of his old master's resistance to the PT Jedi orthodoxy, two things I think Yoda realized the new Jedi who could defeat the new Sith would need). Well, maybe this is all just wishful thinking from an Obi-Wan fan.

EDIT: If it weren't for the "Into exile, I must go" line, I'd think Yoda's plan before discovering the twins would be clear. Hope Obi-Wan beat Vader, then fall back for a reasonable time to recuperate and attack Sidious in tandem with Obi-Wan.
  7. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I agree that if it hadn't been for the "exile" line, Yoda probably had a back-up plan in mind that could be attempted fairly soon. As it played out though, and with that line in place, I took it that he simply realized that he did not have a good chance of beating Palpatine that day, especially not with the clones nearby. So he decided to stay alive to have a better chance at some point in the future... probably hoping to find guidance in the Force as to how and when that point would be.
  8. Lord-Dooku Jedi Master

star 1
    I think it's clear from the defeat and remorse you hear in Yoda's voice when he delivers his 'into exile I must go, failed I have' that he isn't yet in possession of a plan to counter palpatine - he seems very 'okay I've failed, I've got to get the heck out of dodge and figure *something* out'.

I think his priorities at that point were getting away from Palpatine and the Empire, and remorsefully assessing the situation - I don't think he had or was overly concerned with any specific plan at that point.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.