main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda vs Sidious - Planned???

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by brook_33, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    This caught me while I was watching ROTS yesterday. When Yoda is blasted away by the Emperor's lightning, Palpatine says: "I have waited a long time for this moment." Now, I used to think that Palpatine meant he had waited a long time for the destruction of the Jedi, the death of Yoda, and/or the rise of the Empire.

Then I thought of Yoda's attempted execution. Was Commander Gree an idiot, trying to take down the single greatest Jedi by himself and another clone? Even if he thought that Yoda would be caught off guard, it is stupid to think that someone as force-sensitive as Yoda wouldn't feel the disturbance in the force. So I started thinking that maybe Gree was ordered to try killing him with two blasters, not an entire plantoon like the other Jedi. Maybe Palpatine wanted Yoda to survive Order 66.

Palpatine knew that Yoda wasn't killed by the force lightning, so it seems odd to say he's been waiting for Yoda's death. Maybe Palpatine had waited a long time to fight Yoda and kill him himself. Palpatine wanted to prove he was the greatest force-user ever by killing the other greatest force-user. Palpatine had planned to fight Yoda in the first place.

What do you guys think?

This should really go in the Yoda vs. Sidious thread.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I doubt it. Sidious wanted to take no chances, but Yoda proved to be a tougher cookiee, thanks to Qui-gon Jinn teaching him more about balancing the Living Force with the Unifying Force. Sidious decided to take advantage of the fact that Yoda survived, which you can tell he was shocked.

Sidious: "Master Yoda, you survived."

Yoda: "Surprised, are you?"

3. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    Don't think so cuz Sids tried to get out of dueling him by attempting to flee.

4. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Of course it was planned. Sidious told Gree to be a moron. He paid off Chewbacca and Tarrful to make sure that they got Yoda to an escape pod. He ordered his clones to ignore the pod in orbit.

He also arranged for Bail Organa to find Yoda (thought he hadn't counted on Obi-Wan, too).

He also knew Yoda was coming to the senate building, so he positioned his dumbest guards at the door that day. He also arranged for the senate to be completely empty at the time. He even

In fact, he'd planned this years in advance by having a special Yoda-sized chute installed on the senate floor. The hatch was supposed to lead to a garbage disposal, but you know, the war. Money was tight.

Or, he just meant that the whole time he'd been having meetings with Yoda, he was thinking "I'd love to kill that shriveled little green potato." Yoda shows up. "What luck! Now's my chance."

5. JediMasterGaraceDane

JediMasterGaraceDane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    no, the fight was not planned. But......Sidious was obviously delighted that yoda did surviveso he could have the fight hes been looking for since he started his scheme to end the riegn the the Jedi ORder and the Old Republic.

Yoda was ready for the fight as Sidious was caught off guard. the fight was obviously a surprise to Sidious and yoda when yoda found out the dark lords identity, and Sidous found out that yoda was alive and killed Cmdr. Gree and his subordinate.

So in all Sidous was surprised and was totally surprised with Yoda's aggressiveness after the force lightening attack.

6. Commander_Bly05

Commander_Bly05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2005
    Commander Gree was following an order by the Supreme Chancellor (an order he was told from the beginning no matter what), eventhough he wasn't sure if he was going to succeed along with the other troop on killing Yoda.

Now, I don't think Palpatine wanted Yoda to survive the order, and expected that Commander Gree was going to be serving with Yoda on Kashyyyk to tell him "I want him alive".

I think Palpatine said to Yoda that he was expecting the moment to fight against him regardless if he was going to survive the order ...

Yoda just showed us what a Great Warrior he was on those days ...

7. egolden23

egolden23 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2005
    Black Rook, That is hilarious!!!!!! Good stuff!!!!

8. jedi_drifter

jedi_drifter Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2005
    The duel certainly wasn't planned. Sidious tried to flee, so he didn't want to have to fight Yoda, you could tell.

Also, I don't think the Jedi could detect the betrayal of the clones through being force sensitive since the clones weren't really harboring any hatred or anything when they attacked the Jedi. They just mindlessly followed orders. I think in order for the Jedi to have sensed the clone betrayal, there would have to be some emotions involved in the clones.

Yoda just heard the blasters being cocked (or whatever it is you do with a blaster that makes a sound like cocking).

9. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Yeah, when Sids says "Master Yoda, you survived" you can clearly see the disgust on his face. He definitely wanted Yoda to die from Order 66.

10. palpatine_apprentice

palpatine_apprentice Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2005
    i think it was planned....when sid said that he had a modest tone like he kkne he would. plapatine is a veary samrt man...he wouldn't do something stupid like send only to troops to kill the greatest jedi...he wanted the greatest sith to to kill the greatest jedi.

11. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Nah.
    What Sidious refers to when he says he has waited a "long time for this" is...

..."The Revenge of the Sith."

12. DarthJiangWei

DarthJiangWei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    The two Jedi that Sidious probably wanted most dead, were the ones that survived [face_laugh]. No I dont think it was planned and I definitely do not think he wanted to Yoda to survive. The laughing and those such things were an act I believe, a bluff so that Yoda would think that Sidous was not afraid when in fact, he was one the most scared beings in the galaxy at that point in time. Also when he says he's been waitng for this a long time, i believ he is referring to the Fall of the Jedi because the Jedi would not fall until Yoda fell. He was the avatar of the Jedi. He represented them. MOst of the time, when one hears Yoda, we think Jedi. We may think green, short, never passed College English 1101, but the first and foremost thought is Jedi. ROTS novel, Yoda quote :You (Obi-Wan) and I, only ones left we may be, but still Jedi we are!"

13. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    What happened to the official thread?

14. bjs847725

bjs847725 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    Frankly it is important to realize that Palpatine has planned everything that has happened throughout the star wars saga. He arranged for the Trade Fedration to blockade Naboo, launching him to the posistion of chancellor. He arranged for Dooku to lead the seperatist movement, the same war that made his dictatorship possible. He has been molding Anakin since they met, having Anakin placed in situations so that Anakin and Padme would fall in love, beginning his fall to the Dark side. Some even suggest that Palpatine was involved in Anakin's creation, a boy born of the force. In ROTJ he even mentions having forseen everthing that had happened. Palpatine foresaw everything until his eventual death, to say he did not plan the fight with Yoda is insane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.