Yoda vs. Sidious re-match?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TrueJedi, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I always felt that it was a shame that Yoda was killed off early in ROTJ instead of Yoda enjoying his moment of triumph in returning to the Jedi Temple.

Do you think that had GL possessed the CGI abilities that he would have somehow sent Yoda to do a re-match fight with Sidious? I mean, that would have been so appropriate given the match ups in ROTS. Luke defeats Vader and Yoda fights Sidious yet the final blow is left to Vader so that he can fulfill his place as the Chosen One.

Any thoughts on that?
  2. plokoonkenobi77 Jedi Knight

star 2
    uhhhhhhhh no
    ROTJ is lukes fight and his alone....that is the way GL wanted it to be and i'm sure he still stands by that
  3. dude4c Jedi Knight

star 3
    this could be discussed in the changes thread.
    yeah, i like the idea. luke takes on vader, then we see during that fight, yoda enter the thrown room on DS2.
    Vader: master yoda, you survied?
    yoda: only to right a wrong...vader. then yoda uses the force to disconnect a pillar and he force throws it into the emperor, causing him to force jump out of his seat. when he lands yoda is there saber drawn.
    yoda: on this day your fate will be decided...sidious.
    emperor: oh no, my little green friend. after i kill you i will kill young skywalker as well! saber draws.
    the clash of the titan force users insues fericely.
    ultimately yoda is struck down. and luke is now hiding from vader, and we pick up the scene from there.
    sound good.

i know a little fanboyish but what the hell.
  4. Thank_The_Maker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Judging by the PT I'd say yeah he might have Yoda in there coming out of retirement to help Luke. Terrible idea but that's what he might do if he made it today.

I don't think even if he had CG capabilities back then he would have done it though. He was different then.
  5. TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It only seems right considering the cyclical nature of the saga. I thought it would have been perfect and seeing Yoda walking into the Jedi Temple after he kills the Emperor would have been the ultimate triumph.

Consider that it was probably a money issue that kept GL from using Ewoks vs. Wookies on the ground battle. It would have been more appropriate for Wookies to get their revenge against the Empire to help Han Solo and the Rebels.

I think GL did what he could with what he had to work with in terms of cash.
  6. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    Maybe he walks into the old, dusty JC chamber, slumps in his old chair and dies?

Yoda: Finished, it is.
  7. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, in one draft of the script, Yoda and Obi-Wan did return in spirit form to help Luke battle the Emperor, but I'm glad they nixed that idea. It's a lot more dramatic for Luke to face Vader and the Emperor alone.
  8. MasterRadac Jedi Padawan

NO NO NO NO NO, this isnt the way its supposed to be! i believe the conflict in RotJ is more of a mental conflict than a physical conflict. Yoda would have ruined the mood. Yoda dies, so luke has to fact two sith masters as the last jedi.(trained jedi, if you count leia). luke needs to think he's won, so that palpatine has to teach him a lesson for his arogance, so that vader can step in and save luke, thus redeeming himself. Yoda would ruin the equasion.
  9. Cloudreaper Force Ghost

star 2
    ONLY if Yoda gets to wear a Mexican wrestling match when he shows up and demands a rematch....

Everyone else has already given the more serious reasons why it shouldn't, so I just felt like being funny...
  10. Malikail Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't second enough that this is a TERRIBLE idea

and i do think lucas would do it if he had it to do over, thank god he doesn't.

It's not yoda's story he played his part and it ended as it should have, it's much better the way it is.
  11. Darth_Falcon Force Ghost

star 5
    I could stomach having Yoda live and return after Vader kills the Emperor, to the Jedi Temple then die. However, we get that cyclic story and Yoda has closure when we see him as a ghost at the end of ROTJ as it is.

The idea of Yoda taking on the Emperor again isn't a flash one. Afterall, after the ROTS fight Yoda realises that it's not his place to destory the Emperor. With the whole, hanging your robe up/retiring imagery Lucas used.
  12. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    A quick shot in the Council chamber during the Coruscant celebration, with Yoda's spirit appearing and looking out over the celebration would be a neat little addition, but not anything neccessary.
  13. Flames Force Ghost

star 2
    I know that Lucas has said that if the technology for it had been available back then, he would've had Yoda fight. I don't know if he was supposed to fight the Emperor, but it's possible.
    However, when I think about it, it's actually much better the way it is. The Jedi failed in ROTS because they fought. The dark side can not be defeated through violence, because the dark side is violence. It seems to me that Obi-Wan and Yoda have both learned this lesson and are relying solely on compassion in the OT.
    The dark side must be renounced to be defeated and in the end, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke and Anakin have all learned that lesson.

Renounce the dark side!
    /Flames
  14. DarthButt Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I agree that it is better the way it is, on the sole reason that Luke is the responsible for Vader's redemption. I think that Vader turning from the darkside because of his love for his children (and I think that also has to do a lot with his love for Padme as well), and Anakin fullfilling his destiny as the chosen one by destroying the Sith is much better story telling.
  15. Carnage04 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

It is much better the way it is. It makes the situation all that more dire with Luke being THE last Jedi. The old Jedi and their ways are no more. Luke has to rely on the limited amount of skills that he has learned in order to triumph.

Any other way...bleh. Heck, have 10000 Force ghosts swarm in and kill the Sith. Yawn.

Carnage
  16. TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Flames, if that's true, and a link to that quote would be great, then what we have here is Lucas once again having to modify the story because of technology issues. While many of us are purists when it comes to SW, I think if Lucas were able to put Yoda into the fight and give him a chance to return to the Jedi Temple, it would have satisfied us very nicely. I know it may be hard to envision that today, but I really feel it would have been the right way to finish the story.
  17. Flames Force Ghost

star 2
    Hm, I'm not sure where I heard it, but I'm pretty sure it's on a DVD somewhere. I promise I'll search for it, but right now, I gotta sleep :)
    Good night, CT board!

Night - it's dark
    /Flames
  18. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    It's certainly an interesting idea, but on a practical basis it would require an entire remake of that scene with Luke's extra lines / reaction shots (ie- remake of the movie with new actors: Mark doesn't look the same these days and makeup can't cover that ;) )

That being said, it'd be a nice ending for an Anime version of the film. :) Just to throw a kind of Infinities twist in there. Not that there are any plans for such a thing, but people have talked about it here on the boards, and I wouldn't mind seeeing it happen. I'd certainly prefer an Anime remake to a live-action one. But I digress...

The only other hesitation I personally would have is that I'd still like Anakin to have the killing blow, as mentioned above. In that situation, I feel it's a little unfair to have Yoda fight Sidious twice and still not get a score out of it, the poor little green fella :p

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------
  19. JarJarPlagueis Jedi Knight

star 1
    How about this? Obi-Wan returns in the flesh, and he and Yoda lead an attack on Coruscant by the Wookies and Rebels, thereby allowing Luke to get direct access to the Emperor, who is ultimately killed by Anakin. Perhaps Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda can live? If not, the story as it is now has other heroes besides Luke, so why not have Obi-Wan and Yoda be at the forefront of these heroes, instead of Lando and Wedge, or even Han for that matter?
  20. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    There's no need for a rematch. In the RotS battle Yoda neither lost nor won. It was a tie.
  21. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Surely that'd be the best reason for a re-match? :p

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------
  22. Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You guys are giving me an ulcer... :p
  23. Sidious-3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    That a terrible fight! [face_shame_on_you]
  24. emporergerner Jedi Master

star 4
  25. QuiGonHrafn Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't think so. There is no need for it (and if they would have fought again, Yoda should have become victorious and then Anakin wouldn't have brought balance to the force. That's why it won't work and Lucas doesn't repeat himself. He has similar themes in the trilogy but the only repetitive scene in the films are the Luke vs. Vader duels and Anakin vs. Dooku and they are tied to Anakin's turn). Although I do remember reading (a long time ago) that Lucas once thought about the spirits of Yoda and Obi Wan aiding Luke in the final duel (don't remember where). He obviously didn't think that would have worked. If he made the trilogy today he probably would have had a re-match between Yoda and Sid in the Jedi Temple and Yoda would have been victorious - shortly after Luke had turned Anakin back to the light side. But then the story would have been a little different and personally I think we can all thank it didn't go that way. It's perfect as it is although I would have liked to have the final battle between Empire/rebels to be on Coruscant (like originally planned) instead of Endor. Would have made more sense after seeing the PT.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.