main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SithLord-Will, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Now, I know what you're thinking, another history of Yoda thread? Well you're wrong!

I'm asking a simple question. Yoda's limp, and his walking stick, I've always wondered why, if it was just age, or he was wounded, because, it seems that when the time is right, he can drop the stick and whoop ass.... Thoughts, serious or Humor...

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Probably age. When 900 years old you reach, walk as good you will not.

Yes, he could call upon the Force to walk/run/flip out/etc. ... but why? The Force is something you're a part of, not a tool you can use whenever you like. If he needed to get around faster, he could use his flying chair (on Coruscant)... and he probably wasn't in much of a hurry to get anywhere on Dagobah.

By not using the Force to get him to walk right, he is showing respect for the Force, for the natural process of aging, for his own physicality.

Compare with Vader, who sullies his Force-given body with machinery and robotics to benefit himself.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Probably age. When 900 years old you reach, walk as good you will not. [face_laugh]

Anyway, I basically would say that little quote sums up my view on the whole thing. On the other hand, I also think it is somewhat like why Palpatine uses a walking stick even though he doesn't need to - just to extend an air of ancientism (ooh, making up words here ;)) to throw off possible opponents on your actual skill. It certainly seemed to have worked on Dooku.

Aunecah

4. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    I agree with you, but I don't think that "age" is just it. I think there's something to do with a certain "humble image" he wants to pass. And remember, in ESB he simply wanted Luke to believe he was just and old annoying creature (or do you really believe Master Yoda needed to fight for his food with R2D2?)

Anyway, Yoda rules.

5. vladimir_imp

vladimir_imp Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I think that Yoda is physically 'weak' and requires a stick to help him walk. This is age related.

However, he can use the force to manipulate his body like it were any other object. So when he appears to 'jump' it is his mind using the force to manipulate his legs and arms to 'jump'.

I agree that he shows respect to the force by using it when required - like holy people eat only what they need.

6. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, I'm not dumb, but I can't understand how he can lift me in the air just by rasin' his hand, ah, my Yoda...

7. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    It's definately just down to age as far as I am concerned and Yoda would never use the force for trivial matters or to avoid a little discomfort.

8. spring_warm

spring_warm Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2003
    900 years is alot of time to collect dust on the ole' bones

9. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    (or do you really believe Master Yoda needed to fight for his food with R2D2?)

Come to think of it, how does Yoda feed himself on Dagobah? Is it all gathered from the wild? Does he have a garden? I can't see Yoda hunting...

10. Alrowen

Alrowen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2003
    "I thought about that.It looks like his limping gets worse in Star Wars 4 or5?
    Maybe its just me,but he also grunts alot more in the older movies.Maybe he gets wounded?We wont know till Epi. 3 comes out."

11. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I think the limp and the cane are just old age. It also provides a great contrast when he does fight Dooku, that he just drps his cane and goes crazy then as soon as he's done he has to go back to the cane. Very nice touch from LFL, I thought ;)

And I think that he feeds himself on Dagobah by gathering stuff from the swamplands. The whole theme of Yoda on Dagobah in ESB and RotJ is the mystical power of nature so I figure that kinda ties into it pretty well, living in harmony with his surroundings etc.

12. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I figured the cane was a cover so he could catch his enemies by surprise when he does the whole jumping around with the lightsaber thing. :)

But I guess it makes sense that he decides not to use the Force to comfort himself.

13. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I agree with the idea that Yoda's limping is a result of his age; and that he only uses the Force to negate those effects when necessary.

The one thing I was surprised by, aside from the whole "YO-DA MAN!" thing, was when Yoda/Mace/Obi-Wan are walking through the jedi temple...Yoda using a repulsor chair to get around the jedi temple. As a fan of Farscape, I've seen another creature use a chair like that, but it was cool to see Yoda getting around the jedi temple.

Imagine if he had to walk all over the place, that's why he limps so much...da man is tired for crying out loud! ;)

14. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I actually hated the idea of Yoda using a repulsar chair. It just seemed wrong for his charachter.

15. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, let's just put it this way - Yoda would have to keep running to keep up with his taller components, and I'm sure that would be even more wrong for his character. 8-}

Aunecah

16. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    It just seemed wrong for his charachter

I have to go with Aunecah_Skywalker on this, it would look worse for his character to be running all over the jedi temple...like a freshman late for his first class!

17. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    LOL Krash! ;)

Which makes me wonder ... how was he like when he was that age ... after all, he is, ehem, kind of hard to imagine at that age.

Aunecah

18. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    He probably kills the Snakes and creatures that crawl around inside of his hutt when hes hungry.

19. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I'd imagine it's just age. But obviously he can use the force to not need the cane sometimes.

20. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    I agree it is due to his age. Not only does he limp in his old age but by the time the OT comes he's a bit senile and looney too. :)

Jag29

21. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    That is also the question I have been asking. Why does Yoda walk with a walking stick, but can kick %!& with a lightsaber perfectly fine with it lying on the ground eight feet away?

22. Ret

Dec 17, 1999
    When he fought Dooku he really dipped into the force. He can't always do that.

23. Augury

Augury Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    I suppose part of it could be age, but the first thing that popped into my head was 'old injury'. I mean, if it was just age, why would he limp? One side is acting up more than the other?? But even that could imply an old injury, which shows up when he's older and frailer.

24. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Yoda walks with a limp to DECEIVE people. He wants them to think he's crippled when he is really in great shape!

joined the dark side he has
    lies DeCEIT creating mistrust are his weapons now

25. Ret

Dec 17, 1999
    Are you serious?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.