main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by spasticewok, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spasticewok

spasticewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2006
    Okay this is a little bit EU, but why didn't Lucas ever give Yoda a homeplanet or species?

2. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Mystique.

3. spasticewok

Oct 12, 2006
    TO be honest I am really suprised the Mod's haven't pulled this down yet.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    What Rocketgirl said: Mystique.

5. FaithInTheDarkSide

FaithInTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2006
    Yoda was born together with the Force... no, he IS the Force itself.

6. spasticewok

Oct 12, 2006
    Does anyone here play battlefront 2? If so pm me

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Battlefront II= pwnzorz.

I know Yoda was given a species and a home planet, I just can't remember either right now; too early in the morning. Anywaise check out wookiepedia, they should have it. It wasnt mentioned in the movie cause there was no reason just like how Plo Koon was never given a planet or a race [as far as I can recall]

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda was never give a species name or home planet. False entries have been placed, but are not true until we hear from Lucas or someone within Lucasbooks/Lucasfilms.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No, Yoda's never been species'd or planeted.

wookiepedia:

Standing a mere 66 centimeters tall, Yoda was a male member of a mysterious race. He was the Grand Master of the Jedi Order and one of the senior members of the Jedi High Council in the last days of the Galactic Republic. He had exceptional skills in lightsaber combat, employing whirling and acrobatic Form IV techniques. From c. 300 BBY to 19 BBY he trained almost every Jedi in the Galaxy?as Grand Master, he had instructed every youngling in the Jedi Temple at least once before they were assigned to a master. Perhaps the only Jedi of the Republic not to have been directly taught by Yoda was Anakin Skywalker?which may have contributed to the young man's fall to the dark side.

Yoda's most important student was arguably Luke Skywalker, whom Yoda trained to become the future of the Jedi. Having trained the first member of the New Jedi Order, Yoda served as the conduit between the two orders, preserving the Jedi's flame for the next generation.

10. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Just to add this into the mix, a lot of fan specualtion rested around Yoda being a member of a species known as "the Whills." This comes from Lucas's eariler drafts of SW referencing "the journal of the Whills."

I once wrote part of a fanfic around this idea.

As to why Lucas never wrote a backstory, I would argue that we just don't know he didn't. Lucas typically fleshed out his characters fairly well with backstories. I would guess that he just did not have screentime to give us Yoda's backstory. That does not mena that it does not exist. At least in GL's mind.

That being said, it is refreshing to have an enigma in the series. The force is explained. Palpy is fairly explained. The skwlakers are clearly explained. Who better to be an enigma than Yoda? In a way, I am gld we don't know. It is nice to have some mysteries left.

11. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Just to add this into the mix, a lot of fan specualtion rested around Yoda being a member of a species known as "the Whills."

I thought after he introduced Yaddle in TPM GL did say what Yoda's species was?

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope. That was about the time people started to associate the Whills with Yoda.

13. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    It's not the Whills I'm thinking of, it's something else, but you're better versed at non-movie material than I am, so I'll just take you at your word.

14. SeventhAngelicSlayer

SeventhAngelicSlayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2005
    Would Yoda really be the same if he weren't one-of-a-kind? I doubt it.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    E.T. probably knows, but he isn't telling.

16. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    He's not one of a kind though. In the films there's Yaddle and the EU has Vandar.

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    So, 1 of 3?

Lemme make some comparisons for you.

In the films, roughly 30 or 40 humans are main characters. Does this make any of them somehow less unique? In other words, do you confuse Han Solo with Chancellor Valorum, or Tarkin with, say, Padme?

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.