main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kenobineau, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenobineau

Kenobineau Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should make my Yoda puppet?

2. kenobineau_friend

kenobineau_friend Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2002
    yes i do stuff it with stuffing!

3. Kenobineau

Jul 1, 2002
    What? I'm looking for something along the lines of clay and flexible clay. like in the movies.

And you already know that!

4. kenobineau_friend

Aug 1, 2002
    stuff it with clay then !!!!!! duh!

5. Kenobineau

Jul 1, 2002
    Okay, apparently you dont. Theres nothing to stuff! It's not a "muppet street" puppet! Never mind. Everyone ignore her! she's Star Wars impared :D

6. kenobineau_friend

Aug 1, 2002
    ok then dont stuff it .......stuff it i dont care but heres a good idea use greeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnn clay!

7. Kenobineau

Jul 1, 2002
    I plan to use white clay and paint it. I'm not going to have a solid green yoda!

Does anyone have an intelligent solution? :_|

8. kenobineau_friend

Aug 1, 2002
    ok wen u are making the puppet wat do u plan to use a guide for like a pic or something

ok im sry all for bein stupid.......thats just the wayi am

9. Kenobineau

Jul 1, 2002
    Ok. This is a serious post. talk to me on YM. Anyone have a suggestion?

10. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Finally--something clay-related! I do okay with fabric and costumes...but REALLY, I love clay.

If you want a softer, flexible Yoda, I'd use a flexible, 'styrofoam'-like compound. Something a little like the Crayola stuff. It air-dries light and a little rubbery and flexible.

I'm not sure how Muppets are constructed. The one time I reaaaaally need to know something like that--and I don't! Ah, well. I suppose if you really wanted an authentic Muppet-style puppet you could search for information sites.

Kate

11. terrycooper

terrycooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2001
    Okay, enough with the 'stuffit' gal. *sheesh!*

This is how you do it...

1. Sculpt the Yoda head using either plasticine, or plastilene. any one is good. Don't use clay, you'll never get it out of the mould when dry...

2. Pour over plaster to make the mould - thry to make a 2-part mould - easier to separate & clean.('herculite' or 'crystacal' is best - very hard!)

3. cover that with plaster bandage or builders scrim (a kind of string netting)

4. when dry, crack open the muold (carefully!!) patience, young jedi! Clean out the clay from inside the mould with lighter fluid (it dissolves the plasticine) and a toothbrush.

5. put the 2 halves of the mould together, seal the seams with more plasticine, and pour in 'liquid latex' (sometimes called 'dipping latex'. A milky liquid which STINKS of ammonia. Ventilation!! Swish it round the mould for a while and leave for 4 hours.

6. pour in MORE 'liquid latex' (sometimes called 'dipping latex'. Swish it round the mould for a while and leave for ANOTHER 4 hours.

7. pour in MORE 'liquid latex' (sometimes called 'dipping latex'. Swish it round the mould for a while and leave for ANOTHER 4 hours!!

8. continue until there is a thick layer of dried latex rubber inside the mould.

9. throw a pile of talcum powder in the mould before opening it up to prevent sticking. carefully crack open the plaster mould, and pull out the rubber head.

10. trim the seams, paint and cut holes for eyes and mouth opening.

11. get woollen mitten or oven glove, place inside head, and glue in place. use latex applied with a brush to build up inside of mouth. teeth of sponge coated in liquid latex.

12 affix eyes inside head. mask off..

13...to avoid painting, with 'liquitex' acrylic paints. use 'drybrushing' technique or airbrush detail in, spots, wrinkles..etc.

14 make the robe and body out of sacking and sponge pieces respectively.

15. assemble and perform!

All the best!
    Terry Cooper
    uk

12. Kenobineau

Jul 1, 2002
    Woah!!!! I only have an MJDesigns to work from, i was thinking of making the head out of super sculpey, which is a detail type of clay, and then making the mouth out of sculpey super flex. then putting wires in the mouth to make it move. Making the body out of chicken wire. besides i dont have a moulde. Thank you though.

PS does anyone know where i could get a mould?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.