main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's accent

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Jester, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy_Fett

Andy_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2005
    Yoda's accent is actually quite a modern way of speaking. It is a part of speech used in every day life. I'm in English Language Composition AP, but I can never remember the vocabulary words, haha.

2. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Maybe it's the way his alien mind works--I'm not trying to make fun, but some people here on good ol' Earth do similar things. Obviously, Yoda can speak English/Basic with normal subject-verb order, but maybe it's more natural for his mind to do it the other way--he isn't human, you know. I don't think I like the "That's just an archaic form of the language" theory. If, say, Chaucer were still alive today (which would make him 700 or so), surely he'd pick up a bit of modern English, instead of continuing to say, "Whit was his berd as is the dayesye;/Of his complexioun he was sangwyn./An anlaas and a gipser al of silk / Heeng at his girdel, whit as morne milk" all the time, especially since people can pick up mere accents in a matter of months.

Whatever the case, Yoda could not be Yoda without his backward speech. Everyone knows how Yoda talks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.