main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's battles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TLew, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLew

TLew Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2005
    did it seem that the lightsaber battles in episodes 2 and 3 with Yoda in them were really short. In the lightsaber battle in AOTC, when Yoda fights Dooku, it was only 47 seconds long not including the force battle after Yoda comes in. And the battle with Palpatine was only about 2 minutes not including the force battle after yoda comes in and the cut scenes to Anakin and Obi-Wans lightsaber duel. If you ask me, they could've made the ROTS battle longer and better

2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    The AOTC duel was very short but it wasn't really meant to be an epic battle. The ROTS battle was more a showdown between the two most powerful force users, making it more than a lightsaber battle. Because of that you can't judge the ROTS battle for only two minutes. You need to look at the entire conflict.

3. Virgilius

Virgilius Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2004
    I think Yoda had an easy time when fighting Tyranus for two reasons: (1) he's far more powerful than him, (2) he's fighting his former apprentice. Yoda is not only far more than a match for Tyranus, but he taught him everything he knew decades ago. Yoda doesn't seem to forget much for his age. [face_mischief]

Sidious was a far more formiddable opponent for a number of reasons. If you believe those midiclorian lists out there, Sidious ranks #3 after Yoda who's #2. (We all know who #1 was before he was toasted by Obi-Wan. No pun intended.) Being second only to Yoda is not the only thing that gives Sidious an advantage. The dark side is more powerful. If Yoda had turned to the dark side (in theory), Sidious would have been obliterated. Yoda has a difficult time with Sidious because he's never fought someone this powerful. Notice how it's so easy for him to take on Tyranus compared to Sidious. Look at his facial expressions. He's determined to destroy this threat to an Old Order that can not be revived. Yoda cannot stop the New Order from coming into being.

I think the Yoda-versus-Sidious duel is similiar to the Mace-versus-Sidious duel. Both Mace and Yoda are the only ones at this point in the story who are capable of taking on the Emperor. I personally think that Yoda's battle with Sidious is an epic battle. The Anakin-versus-Obi-Wan duel got all the attention, and it deserved it. However, Yoda and Sidious are masters of the Jedi and Sith, respectively. Their duel is fought in the Senate Arena, and it symbolizes the destruction of the corrupt Republic for a perversion of its former self: the Galactic Empire.

4. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    Tlew, so, what's your point?

5. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Let's face it, it's hard to do much more with Yoda using a lightsabre then him flipping around. The shots we got of him in the two duels is exactely what we would have gotten more of. It's cool and all, but there just wasn't much you could do with him being so small. Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Darth Maul could go on forever because they were real people that were somewhere around the same height, making the duel "Easy" to film. Yoda was a 2 foot tall not real thing that the actors had to slash at (Yes, it's just a movie. Yoda isn't real;)). To make it cool and non repetitive would have been tough.

Also, looking at the 2 battles, the one with Dooku wasn't supposed to be an epic battle. Yoda basically came and saved Obi-Wan and Anakin. Dooku was trying to leave. From the start, Yoda, unlike Foolish Anakin, didn't rush right into it. Yoda hasn't faught a Sith (Well, at least not in 700 or so years) and tested the waters against his old apprentice before forcing Dooku to make the move to his lightsabre. Dooku knew that #1. He would lose if it went on longer and #2. Backup for Yoda was probably on it's way. He didn't plan on killing Yoda, so he saw an opportunity to get out of there ASAP and took it.

In the battle against Sidious, I think as a fan I wanted something special. By the end of the Prequels, we had seen more than enough sabre action. These are the two most powerful and knowledgeable FORCE USERS here. Why would we want to mess around with leaping and swinging lightsabre Yoda when instead a massive display of actual force power could be demonstrated? The Senate pod Frisbee game and the Force Lightning confrontation was way more epic than a CGI sword fight could have been. I was a bit disappointed that Yoda seemed to be on the retreat most of the time as far as the force battle went, but it was still awesome in my eyes.

Carnage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.