main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's Position as Head of Council

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by vladimir_imp, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    To be honest, I don't see a lot of diffrence between your idea and the movies.

The Jedi are quite obviously "comprised (of) a group of very arrogant politician-like Jedi who could not see what was going on" already.

Yoda does protest the training of Anakin, but is apparently overuled.

The only diffrence is in the combat. You have him not even trying, then running away. The movie has his little green butt handed to him, then running away.

The role of a very powerful, but little respected, Jedi is already filled by Anakin. And by Qui-Gon for that matter.

2. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I have to say I really really like this idea. I think the Star Wars story when seen from a lower angle is a much more interesting one. By lower angle I mean the way it was done in ANH with the droids in the beginning, then a lowly farmboy, etc, unlike the prequels where everything is Queen this or Supreme Chancellor that or Jedi Council this or Prime Minister that. To see this from the eyes of just an ordinary Jedi I think would have been a lot more effective. But what's done is done I guess.

One thing I would add to it though...instead of him being disrespected by the "arrogant Jedi Council," I would have him not willing to participate in the dealings of the council because most of the discussion at that time is political. I think he's the kind of fella that is more simple, and is only concerned with guarding peace and upkeeping honor. Kind of like the way they portayed the samurai in "The Last Samurai."

3. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    That would have been an interesting version. But I like that Yoda was the head of the Council and one of the greatest Jedi.

4. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    actually, i think that mace is the head of the council- well thats what the insider says, twice i believe....it says something about the props department making mace have the only jedi saber with electrum on it to reflect his postition on head of the council- so what i think is that mace is the grand leader of the council, and has more authority then the other council members, but i think yoda is the grand jedi master of the order

5. vladimir_imp

vladimir_imp Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    jedipadawanjoe14:

I think I made the mistake of highlighting his position as "head" of the council whereas really I was considering whether he should have been on the council at all. Certainly the films give the impression that he was a leading member if not the head, and perhaps I should have called this thread "Yoda's Place in Jedi Council" instead.

brook_33:

I liked the fact that Yoda was in the council or head of the council too. However for me it didn't sit so comfortably with his protestations about the decisions that the council were making. For me, I think I would have prefered that either he did not object, or that he was not on the council at all. Instead with have a strange situation with Yoda appearing to be anything but "one of the greatest Jedi".

aPPmasSTer:

I like your idea. Interesting scenario and one which gives him a lot of power still.

DS615:

I've written quite a lot on this thread so the gist may have been lost somewhat! To address your point, actually the fighting is perhaps one thing that could stay unchanged (albeit with some narrative amendments). Really the principle difference is Yoda's position and influence over the council/Order. Look at ROTS where he disagrees about Anakin going to confront Grievous and the other Jedi fall in line. Yet he apparently felt so strongly about not training Anakin in TPM, and throughout the PT was painted as a Jedi master who was completely uncomfortable with the council's decisions whilst actually having the greatest influence.

So the fundamental difference would be to change his character to one without influence in the council, this enabling him to make his protests and regain more sympathy from the audience when it all goes wrong. Instead of being the most powerful Jedi who survives it'll be "poor Yoda" who did his best when no-one would listen and has clung on to train Luke and do his best to restore balance.

Three key additional points. First that it's not to say that Yoda cannot still be the most powerful or the greatest - just that the council wouldn't recognise him as being appropriate for their ineffective council. Secondly that it might enhance the perception of Palpatine's power by enabling him to wipe out the council almost one-by-one. And thirdly that it would mean that Yoda didn't have to directly say that Anakin needed to be killed. I mention above on this point that Anakin and the council made the same mistake, yet Yoda and Obi-Wan felt that his was punishable by death. Only Luke loved enough to think that he could be redeemed.

6. General_Veers05

General_Veers05 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2005
    Nope...he' not Mace is...

7. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    Want to fight on that.[face_beatup]

8. General_Veers05

Dec 16, 2005
  9. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    No yoda lives longer, trains better pupils and is better thought of that mace. Period.
    *Jet packs away*

10. General_Veers05

Dec 16, 2005
    Yes, but everone in the council seems to look at Mace for descisions and answer, they also seem to regard him (in clone wars vol.5 DH comics) as a very good fighter...[face_thinking]

11. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Aaahhh, but Yoda is most often refered to as the wiser, and the Jedi do not believe in fighting anyway...

12. General_Veers05

Dec 16, 2005
    Yeah...I agree that Yoda seems wiser, but in a war what would be more useful? A Warrior or a wiseman?

13. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    The Jedi believe in wisdom, not battle so Yoda is more Jedi like.

14. General_Veers05

Dec 16, 2005
    ...definetly, but you havn't answered my question...

15. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    In a labarinth; a wiseman, In a battle; a warrior.

It's settled then Yoda has higher rank.:p

16. General_Veers05

Dec 16, 2005
    Yeah...I agree on this.If it was a "political" matter it would be delt with by the sentors and representatives. So then wher would Yoda's wisdom fit in.

17. General_Veers05

Dec 16, 2005
    How is it settled!! I mean in the clone Wars! Windu would be higher!!!!!

18. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't understand how either of us can truly justifiy either way... It's all just speculation. Though you must admit Yoda is most commonly known as the leader of the Jedi order.

19. General_Veers05

Dec 16, 2005
    I've never associated him as the leader...

20. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Really, so when he trained the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy you thought "Hey look there is an average, everyday Jedi" You must have, at some point, thought that Yoda was the highest ranking Jedi.

21. General_Veers05

Dec 16, 2005
    Hmmm...I thought that yoda trained Count Dooku.He's not even a jedi!!luke is another matter, Obi-Wan alsohelped him, so Yoda does not take all the credit...
    [face_thinking]

22. Eire

Eire Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    I think Yoda and Mace were the headmasters of the Jedi council, the rest was only representation. Look at a scene on the end of TPM when Obi-Wan talks to Yoda about Anakin's future. He said that the council won't let him train Anakin, but in a moment he agrees for it.

23. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005

no thats not what happened.....yoda told obi-wan that HE didnt want anakin to be trained......but then finally said " agree with you the council does"- meaning the rest of the council overruled him

24. the_unknowable_jedi

the_unknowable_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 17, 2005
    hmmmmmm,[face_thinking], yes, i can see you idea. its good. From reading your idea, this is what i understand from it: having it where the jedi are arrogant politicians, and yoda, though reached the rank of master before them, is not respected by them because of what they think yoda only knows to do, train young ones to be a jedi and thats all. So that is to those other jedi, useless, considering the fact that the council dips themselves into politics, which makes them think they are more wise and mature about most things While the weird little jedi master yoda, is more or less, nothing but a simple minded trainer of the jedi arts as you say and only that. As time passes, he senses a disturbance in the force. so he goes to the council to see what the disturbance might mean because from how the disturbence feels, it does no bode well with him. He knows what the focus of the disturbance is to be as soon as he sets eyes on young anakin. He immediatly confesses the disturbance in the force and warns the council not to have the boy trained. they ignore him. He presses it again. yet still they ignore it with a gesture. when he would not be quiet about it, the council then says sternly: "You donot need to concern yourself with anything but what task has been set before you, and that is to train jedi, not to suggest what the council should do." He fades away from the council's presense shaking his head. The time finally comes when the council finds the Sith to be Chancilor Palpatine. The jedi council arrives at Palpatines apartment Quarters to arrest,by One Palpatine obliterates every single council without mercy. The Funny little old jedi master yoda, Whom the council brought for his skill, does not fight the Powerful sith. yet escapes knowing that a fight will reap his death.so,hey,this is what i think: Your idea is so good it made write a reply this long. i think That no matter if yoda was a lowly unrespected trainer, or a respected leader of the jedi council, yoda will be one of the most important and "wise" character of the Prequel Trilogy and beyond with your idea and the actual story line..........WOW! THIS REALLY MADE ME THINK!

25. KILIK

KILIK Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Wow thats a one of a kinda idea, thats for sure. I mean I see your point. Thats for sure I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.