Yoda's POV Change

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by YoungAngus, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. YoungAngus Jedi Youngling

star 5
    In TPM Obi Wan says how Yoda says he should be 'mindful of the future.' Qui Gon was always very in tuned to the living force, while Yoda looked towards the future. Now flash forward to ESB. Yoda has been trained by Qui Gon for many years. When he speaks with Luke, he says something about how he is always looking to the horizon, never keeping focused on the present, or something like that. Was this Qui Gon who influenced Yoda to change his views of the Force?
  2. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yes, Qui-Gon Jinn taught Yoda the TRUE ways of the Jedi. And, Yoda's dealings in the PT also influenced his new POV.
  3. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Its also a matter of extremes, and finding the correct balance.

A Jedi must be mindful of the future, as Yoda told Obi-Wan, and of how their actions will affect the future. But a Jedi must also put his concentration in the present, or he will be ineffective. Yoda gives each apprentice the advice appropriate for him.
  4. DarthButt Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Whoever said that Yoda had a change of point of view? This post is based on the following:

Obi-Wan: "But Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future."
    Qui-Gon: "But not at the expense of the moment."

Nowhere is it stated that Yoda preferred the future over the present. It was just implied that each Jedi should be aware of the future, and the future should be seriously considered when a Jedi decides his/her actions, as it could have serious repercussions to ones intent. But as Qui-Gon said, the future should not jeapordize what happens right now.

5. Darth_Falcon Force Ghost

star 5
    ^
    That's right.

However, Yoda's training of Luke changes from your normal everyday Padawan because Luke has a purpose. Yoda teaches him everything he needs to know to stand against Vader and learn things about the Force on his own.

Though, i must admit, Yoda could have taught him how to deflect/absorb lightning. Or perhaps Yoda knew this would happen and create sympathy in Vader, helping him turn back to the light?
  6. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Though, i must admit, Yoda could have taught him how to deflect/absorb lightning. Or perhaps Yoda knew this would happen and create sympathy in Vader, helping him turn back to the light?

Don't forget, though, that Luke ran off and neglected the rest of his training - and when he finally returned, Yoda was on his deathbed. For all we know, Yoda might have been planning to teach him that later.
  7. SmoovBillyDee Jedi Master

star 4
    Perhaps seeing an entire Republic crumble before your eyes is enough to change one's perspective. Yoda was commenting on Luke's daydreaming, not actual vision of the future.
  8. Atticus Jedi Master

star 4
    I would have to disagree. It is stated through their actions in the PT. Them not appointing Qui-Gon to the council because his views were different is an example I think. Them also ignoring Anakin in the present and only seeing his downfall in the future is another.
  9. Darth_Rabe Jedi Knight

star 1
    SmoovBillyDee hit the nail on the head. Luke was a daydreamer with a completely different upbringing that Obi-Wan. Where as Luke "looked away towards the horizon...Adventure...excitement..." Obi-Wan had been Qui-Gon's padawan for some time. Without getting into the EU he should have gotten into some adventures. Obi-Wan would have had the adventures Luke had wished for growing up.

Basically there is a difference between what Yoda told Luke and what Yoda told Obi-Wan.
  10. TheCRZA Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think Yoda's perspective changes from OT to NT. I think his experiences
    reinforce his attitude. Yoda and Ben are more like force mentors in the OT
    as opposed to dogmatic teachers in the NT.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.