main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's reluctance to teach Luke.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Empire-Maker, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Empire-Maker

Empire-Maker Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2003
    Why doesn't Yoda want to teach Luke, in TESB? Yes, I'm aware that he is testing Luke. I just don't see why it mattered. If Yoda believed that Luke reminded him too much of his father (as he did) what difference did it make? How many options did Yoda believe he had left? He knows he probably only has a few years remaining in his life. Was he hoping that Leia would also crash on Dagobah? Was he going to send Obi to find Leia, as he did with Luke? Yoda also probably knew that Leia would soon be captured, and possibly killed. He should have been salivating at the opportunity to train Luke. IMHO

P.S. A service call just came in for me, so I have to leave, but I look forward to reading your responses when I get back. Thank you.

2. DarthDean

DarthDean Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    Yoda feared that Luke would become another Vader. With Vader somewhat older, eventually he would be gone. But Luke was young. Luke would be able to continue the Empire for a long time. Good one!

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I just think that Yoda did not want to run the risk of sending an untrained Jedi off to fight the Empire. I believe he feared that by training Luke he would be unleashing a new negative force upon the galaxy if Skywalker fell like his father before him.

4. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Some of Yoda's exact words (err...to the best of my memory)...

Yoda- (Looking up to Obi-wan's voice) "He is too old", "Yes, too old to start the training"

and

Yoda- (speaking to Obi-wan's voice) "The boy has much anger in him...like his father"

In the end Yoda was scared that Luke could not do it and tried to find excuses. He also said something to this affect...

Yoda- (to Luke) "Only a fully trained Jedi could hope to defeat Vader"

Luke wasnt a Jedi and even a Jedi would have trouble with Anakin/Vader. In the end, it was Yoda's fear

5. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Maybe Yoda rather had trained Leia. He did know Leia was the other.

6. Skateboard_Jedi

Skateboard_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    I think cause Yoda knew Luke was TOO much like his father. Very impulsive, and Yoda had a "feeling" that Luke might leave in the middle of his training, which he did. Yoda has says that the future is always uncertain, and in motion, and in his heart, Yoda knew there was a very good chance Vader and the Emperor could turn Luke to the Dark Side. If that had happened, even Yoda and Leia combined, would not have been able to defeat them.

7. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    I think it is because Yoda didn't want at the time his last hope to fall to the dark side and then there would be no hope if both Anakin and Luke fell imagine the power they would inspire.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    And, as Yoda indicates to Obi-Wan at the end of TPM, he had sensed the danger in Anakin's training.

But I'm not sure that it is reluctance as much as extreme caution, because Yoda knew that Luke and/or Leia were the last hope.

And perhaps, fearing another loss to Palpy (Luke) would make him unconquerable. After all, that's why Palpy wanted Luke, so he could replace the older and physically crippled Vader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.