main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's skills with a lightsaber in the OT....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Eminent_Being, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    My take on it (using some EU):

If you look at Yoda in the PT he still seems somewhat fragile. Walking slowly with a cane until he calls upon the force to fight with saber. We don't see him do that in OT. There doesn't seem any reason for him to do so. He probably doesn't have a saber but it's not impossible that he does. He would require the crystals available at three different planets as well as parts to build one. It's possible that since Obi-wan either had or was able to procure some that he was too (Luke was able to build his using what he found at Obi-wan's old hutt).

Palpatine does not care for lightsabers. He feels that they are not as a formidable a weapon as the power of the Dark Side. He didn't appear very comfortable using one in RotS (although this was partly due to Ian not being very comfortable) and in the end always relied on his force lightning. He felt that the Sith had outgrown lightsabers and only used them to humilate the Jedi. That's why he called Luke's lightsaber a Jedi's weapon.

2. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Yep. The Kashyyyk wookie pod looks a lot different than the one he arrives on Dagobah. The Kashyyyk one looks like a bullet with no fins. The Dagobah one looks like a half ball with pipes out the top and has big fins on it. The only part where they look somewhat similar is when the pod enters the Dagobah atmosphere.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    OBI-WAN: I don't recall ever owning a Hutt.

4. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    :oops: Sorry, I meant "hut." [face_whistling]

5. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Who's to say Yoda only has one lightsaber?

When he got his other robes, he could have had an extra lightsaber in it.

6. OBIJUAN76

OBIJUAN76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    I agree Darth! Well said!

7. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I think part of it was Yoda was too old to fight and there was no real need to fight. I mean he lived on a swampy planet for Pete's sake. Not much is going to attack ya there.

8. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    i just have the films to go by. i'm not sure if yoda had an expanded role in the books (as far as the OT). But in light of the saga, (this has been said before), yoda's age should not be a factor. old dooku was able to do quite fine with a saber, and so did sidious. it would have been nice to see yoda training luke with a saber a little.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    So why wouldn't Yoda have the equipment he needed? He could have always sent an ally off-world to get things for him. And I don't imagine he spent thirty years straight on Dagobah, either. The inter-trilogy EU that I imagine we're going to see a lot of soon will probably say more about that, but if I were Yoda and I'd just seen 95% of the Jedi order destroyed, I would go out on missions when possible to fight the Empire, try to powwow with other surviving Jedi, and so on. It definitely doesn't make sense that Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't go into hiding on the same planet so they could plan together, but alas, my sources tell me RotS hadn't yet been made when Lucas did the OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.