main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's Species - I figured it out!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by BobaFett688, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFett688

BobaFett688 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2001
    Okay, don't get excited, it's just a legitimate guess. Probably not true, but it's worth a post.

Since it's likely we'll never know what species Yoda is (think about it - how would you fit that into Episode III anyway? "Hey Yoda, before I turn to the Dark Side, what species are you?"). So anyways, I was doing some reading, and I wanted to find out more about what the Journal of the Whills thing is. Sounds pretty interesting, right?

So, I have discovered (well, maybe not) that Yoda may POSSIBLY be of a species called Whill.

Okay, so George Lucas was once quoted as saying this:

"Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else; there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concepts behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the 'Journal of the Whills'."

With me so far? Now, think about this. In The Empire Strikes Back, and I quote from the script, Yoda says:

YODA: ...This one a long time
    have I watched. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was
    doing...

Now, let's play detective a bit: It's never really been said that any other Jedi has watched people - constantly, I mean - through the Force. There's your occasional Force-revelation, such as when Luke sensed that Han and Leia were in deep **** and when Anakin sensed that his mother was in pain. But this gives me the impression that Yoda sits down, maybe with a beer or a bag of Doritos, and watches Luke in his head like it's a football game. ("No, no! To the Toshi Station, you must not go! No, no! Hmmm! Waste time with your friends later, you will!") Now Lucas also gives the impression that the Whills were originally supposed to be the ones recording the entire story of Star Wars, and that they were kinda of out-of-universe, Big Brother-type people who could see wherever they wanted to - THERE'S something that could come in handy when you wanna take a peek in the girl's locker room.

So if Yoda can see stuff without being there, and the Whills obviously can too because they were supposedly bootlegging the Star Wars saga, then wouldn't that make Yoda a Whill?

Keep in mind, the whole Whills thing is a concept Lucas pretty much shot straight to hell because he didn't like. This is all hypothetical, so don't flame me for it.

However, I do have one more prediction. Yoda is....A MUPPET! Yes, that's right, not a Whill, not some species we've never heard of, but a Muppet hailing from the planet Sesame Street.

Whaddya think?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    This has been discussed many, many times. Your idea is not a new one. It is, in fact, a popular one, though.

We shall never know the answer though. It seems Lucas wants it to remain a mystery.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. BobaFett688

Sep 7, 2001
    I figured people have come to this conclusion before.

But don't you think Lucas owes it to us to tell us what Yoda is?

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002

"Nnnnno, not really, no."

Lucas owes us nothing at all.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. heehaw138

heehaw138 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2003

no not really. i actually like it being a mystery.

6. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I add my voice to the chorus: No, GL does not owe it to us to tell us what species Yoda is.

And like many, I enjoy Yoda's species being a mystery.

7. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    if he does reveal yodas species, it will kinda be like a spoiler for all of the movies...

if he doesnt, it will nag at our minds forever...

so, either way, we're disappointed

8. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Yoda's a Muppet. Duh. :p

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I don't think it's very important, actually.

I'd rather find out about the whole Jedi Ghost/Disappearing Trick phenomena.

Okay, you heard it here first, July 16, 2003, 9:35pm my time (Mountain).

Yoda is the last Chosen One (by "last", I mean "previous to Anakin".

It's probably already been said, but oh well....

10. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I very highly doubt Yoda's the Chosen One. Yoda's midi-chlorian count doesn't even compare with Anakins (whose are "off the charts")

I'm pretty sure there's only one "Chosen One", and if there was more than one, Yoda certainly would not be it. The destiny of the Chosen One is to bring balance to the Force, which Yoda obviously hasn't done.

11. Mauls_Other_Half

Mauls_Other_Half Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2001
    So now we are speculating there are a Chosen Two??

Goodness gracious...don't you people ever go outside and play...??

[face_plain]

12. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    Let it remain a mystery. It´ll be best that way. There are things that don´t need to be explained.
    I´m not sure i even would want to know OB1´s
    homeplanet.

13. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "But don't you think Lucas owes it to us to tell us what Yoda is?"

My childhood will officially be considered raped "after the fact" if Yoda's species isn't named. [face_laugh]

14. BobaFett688

Sep 7, 2001
    Okay, yeah, Lucas owes us nothing. Except a nice cold root beer, maybe.

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Didn't anyone watch "From Puppets to Pixels"? Yoda is the illegitimate child of Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog.

Or he's a Yodian. I happen to like that word.

16. du365

du365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2003
    Yoda is a ugly CGI talking frog

17. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Either Lucas or McCallum once told us we would find out Yoda's species in Episode III, now he's saying we won't. For the last film ever, I think he should tell us. Thank goodness there are two more years before the film comes out.

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I really just don't understand why people want to know this so badly.

It makes absolutely no difference to the plot, as far as I can see, and makes no difference to Yoda's character.

It's essentially background info, and the "mystery" of Yoda's origin adds to his "wise old teacher" persona.

I mean, if we find out that Yoda is of the Chuuba species from this planet and system, who cares?

19. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    Maybe someone should have attempted to get Yaddle drunk and see if she would spill the beans about their species. Maybe that's why she wasn't in AOTC!! She did blab and Yoda said, "No you don't <censored>!" and stabbed her with his lightsaber.

20. KosmicKnine

May 31, 2002
    Of course, then Yaddle, though suffering from a lightsaber wound to her arm, shook her little green finger at him saying, "Don't you tell me what to do you old, short, wrinkly frog!" before she did a Force-jumpkick in Yoda's face, knocking him over before running off to hook up with Yarael Poof, with whom she now owns a shoreline house on some beach planet.

21. Twi_Ton_Kenobi

Twi_Ton_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Oh man are you guys thinking inside the box. Look, the closest information we have on Yoda's species is a bit of EU posted on the official website. take a trip over to the official site and check the YODA bio thing out for yourself but I remember that they said that Yoda was from the planet ossus which would make him an Ossun or however you want to spell it.

22. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    I don't know what you are talking about, it doesn't say where Yoda is from. Not in the Bio, and not in the side thingy.

23. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Darth Columbo we will call you! Mmmm yes!

I like your theory apart from one tiny little hole. If there were indeed a planet or whatever of the Whills that were all mega strong in the force why did they not jump in and prevent the Empire from ever being formed or from Palpatine gaining so much power. Apart from that it's all good.

"Why do the innocent die and the guilty survive? Where is justice, where is punishment? - Here in me!"

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    In the TESB drafts, before he got the name Yoda, he was referred to as "the minch". Then they called him Minch Yoda.
    So, is minch the name of his species? Or is it his first name? Or both?
    Or none?

I think of Yoda as a minch.

25. Willhuff Tarkin

Willhuff Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 1999
    More likely than not, the story is being told from the perspective of the droids (C-3PO and R2-D2...mainly R2)

There was a quote floating around somewhere that said that at the end of the trilogy, it would be revealed that the entire story had been told from the memory banks of 2 droids.

So the Whills idea went out the window.

Enter the droids!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.