main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's walking stick?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by -Phoenix-, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I don't havge any pictures, but in TPM in the scene where Watto is talking to Qui-Gon and they do the whole betting, and chance cube thing, Watto is holding a stick that looks an awful lot like Yoda's walking stick from AOTC and ROTS. Now, we know Watto and Yoda don't know eachother or anything, but if those are the same stick, I just thought it was a cool connection.

2. Lord_Pilaf

Lord_Pilaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    It's extremely unlikely, since Yoda actually has his cane with him during TPM.

3. Azure_Angel

Azure_Angel Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2006
    I seriously doubt it was the same, or even the same type of walking stick. Yoda's was an honor gift presented to him by the Wookies. I seriously doubt Watto's realations were as good with the Wookiees as Yoda's. But then again i guess it is possiable that it could be a Wookiee honor gift that came into Watto's posession through trading, smuggling, adn all that stuff. It is possiable, but not probable.

In reality it was just probably a mix up on Lucasfilm's part, for instance in ROTS we see people wielding lightsabers that arnt theres, it may just have been a prop mix up.

~Azure_Angel

4. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm not saying there's an in-universe connection, like the stick literally being the same, but perhaps ILM just used the same model for that and Yoda's AOTC cane?

EDIT: This is the only picture I can find:

[image=http://3d.sns.hu/filmek/sw/02.jpg]

5. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    A cane's a cane, don't look too much into it.

6. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I know this is kind of off topic but, what is with Yoda using a cane anyway? He clearly doesn't need it. Walking in against Dooku with a cane and jumping all over the play with a lightsaber a minute later is just weird. Same with Palpatine, did he really need his cane in ROTJ?

7. Azure_Angel

May 20, 2006
    Palpatine used a cane because it gave the impression that he was weak and old, he didn't want anyone to know what he was capabal of, so he pulled off the image of an old man, only vader knew he was extreamly Force sensative. H eused this image to draw his enemies in close, because really looking at the man who comes down teh boardign ramp of the shuttle in ROTJ, what do you think: helpless old man, or the greatest warrior in the galaxy? He liked to play it down so that way ppl would underestimate him, then if they got close enough he would tear through any assasins and such.

~Azure_Angel

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yoda doesn't use the Force if he doesn't absolutely need to. In Dark Rendezvous, he disapproves of Dooku using the Force for little things like grabbing a lamp from far away. In the NJO, Mara disapproves of Anakin using the Force to move crates. So yeah.

9. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Anakin even says Obi-wan would disapprove of him pulling Padme's fruit to him using the force.

But back on topic, I think that the model/prop used for Yoda's cane and Watto's cane are one and the same. In the picture posted of Watto the cane looks just like Yoda's.

10. Azure_Angel

May 20, 2006
    Yeah, it seemes that alot of the extreamly powerful adn older masters really disaprove in the use of the Force in menial tasks. Both Yoda and Palpatine prefered to do everything themselves if they could. But when they did use the Force.... there are none better.

But you can see their preferances represented in their students, Yoda passes this view to Obi-Wan and many other Jedi, while Palpatine impressed it upon Mara. While Mara may not like remembering Palpatine i see much of him in her, many of his core values, beliefs adn practices are within her, like the dislike of using the Force for menial tasks.

~Azure_Angel

11. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    So exactly why does a creature that can fly need a walking cane anyway?

The mystery deepens . . . .

12. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Exactely what I was thinking. Yoda's normal physical body probably does need that stick to help himself walk. With the force, he can do anything. The Jedi ultimately only use the force when the need to. Using the force for very mundane things will lead to abuse of it.

As far as Watto's stick, I think Watto fancied himself a type of "Pimp" (meaning he thought he was cool...not that he had prostitutes working for him.) It was all part of the cool gambling merchant getup.

Carnage

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    To look fashionable and crack Anakin upside his skull, if need be.

14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Exactly. I always thought that Watto had the stick to make him look more professional and to whack Anakin on the head like he was playing "Whack-A-Mole". But sadly...All that whacking must have made Anakin turn to the Dark Side. :p

15. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    Yoda's walking stick?

The green one's version of a hip flask perhaps...

16. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Could be also for.............

1) A back stratcher.

2) A nose picker.

3) A tool for dealing with deadbeats.

17. andkiich

andkiich Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    Also, use of the Force is not infinite...it takes concentration and energy to control it's use. If a force user used the force all the time, they may not have the strength to use it when they really need it.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Look at Yoda after he uses the saber to fight in the PT. Or lift the X-wing in TESB. He's exhausted. It's very taxing for him. Obi-wan was feeling the burn on Mustafar and Vader proclaimed that Obi-wan was weak, during the final duel. Note how Dooku uses it to leap around and run, and he was twenty years older than Obi-wan was in ANH. Palpatine, Maul and Anakin in ROTS aren't even phased after a huge battle. Mace kept on the ground when fighting Palpatine, which is why he wasn't worn out yet. Qui-gon tired out before Maul got him.

19. Azure_Angel

May 20, 2006
    Your right sinister, i guess that the FOrce when used is more like an adrenalin rush for Jedi, it gives them a sudden burst of energy adn speed, but it wears off and they are left rather weak. Where as the dark side must be like a continious adrenalin rush.

~Azure_Angle

20. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Not necessarily. This brings the novel into play, but during the RoTS Dooku/Obi-Wan/Anakin duel, Dooku thinks to himself "The Dark power that serves him only goes so far, and he isn't such a young man" or something to that effect.

I have no movie evidence of Sith tiring themselves, except for MAYBE the look on Dooku's face during Dooku/Obi-Wan/Anakin part 1 in AoTC. When he chops off Anakin's arm he gives a look that some feel is a "Tired" look. It has been debated as being a surprised, disappointed, or upset look too. The fact that he fended off Yoda after this suggests that it wasn't a look of exhaustion at all.

I do think that under some circumstances, such as the EU example of Anakin Solo's Death, even when exhausted you can push the force harder than your body can even handle, leading to Death (Anakin was going to be a goner anyway, he just went down blazing)

Carnage

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The older one becomes, the more exhausted they will become. Dooku, because he used the dark side, had the advantage of lasting longer than Obi-wan did in his last duel. Obi-wan doesn't use the Force to enhance himself, so he is not fighting as he did on Mustafar or Geonosis or Naboo. But he is capable of keeping up with Vader and styming him.

22. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    actually i do agree with most of this but i think that look was dooku being tired.

I think the sith are just better combatants than the jedi and that a tired Dooku is equal to a fresh yoda in combat. This goes onto explain why if a fresh yoda is only an even match for the sith apprentice that he should naturally lose to the sith master who is more powerful.

the notion of yoda not needing a cane is to me absurd, yoda is geriatric, in human terms he's close to 90 years old. the "he's an alien maybe they age differently" argument would hold water if not for the fact that he's a character writen by a human, depicted by a human to be watched and easily interpreted by humans.

as to watto needing a cane.... he's a pimp it's natural for him to use a cane!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.