main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's World Tour

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by Miana Kenobi, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    thank feck for that. Now you can both wander the vally's terrifying tourists with your close harmony singing.

2. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Just don't introduce Yoda to your local fauna as you know them Welshdude, he stays innocent ok!!!! :p

3. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Wish I'd read this a day or two ago, before I took Yoda on a picnic and....... Well, lets just say things happened.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey, any news of our little green guy? ;)

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Oye, Welshguy, just reminding you that you need to send Yoda off within a day or 2... [face_whistling]

6. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Hey Welshguy! Need a couple of pics for my classroom of you all and Yoda!

Thanks!

Master K

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Sorry for the lack of reply guys, but i've been so busy, it's not even funny!

Long story about moving offices and having to pack everything up. Lots of work.

Anyway, Yoda has been having lots of fun in Wales.

Here are some pics for you and your class to enjoy.

Yoda met up with some family when in Wales. Yoda is actually a Welsh word. It means "Little green friend" FYI.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/travel4.jpg]

Yoda took a shine to the Welsh flag. I think it was because the it reminded him of the wildlife on Degobah.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/travel3.jpg]

Yoda finally got to try out one of them fancy new doulbe bladed lightsabers. I don't think he much cared for it.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/travel2.jpg]

Yoda and Welshguy hang out and have fun. He may be small, but that guy can drink anyone under the table.
    "Hmmm, when reach 800 years old, handle your drink like me you could, hmmm?"
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/travel1.jpg]

More pics to follow.

And don't worry, I have the address and will be sending him off soon.

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Awesome... Thanks mate!

9. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Ahhh, Welshguy

Thanks for the pics.

Right now, the one with Yoda and your handsome face is adorning my classroom wall!. (Along with the pic of Yoda and the flag) Which all the kids love..cause.. it's got a DRAGON on it!

Can hardly wait to see the others.

Thanks, Mate. I owe you!

:D

10. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Handsome face eh?? [face_thinking]

I grant you, it is a good photo. ;)

How bizarre is it to think that thousands of miles away on the other end of the world, my head is being used for entertainment purposes in a school?

You gotta love the internet. Stuff like that may sound strange in real life, but on here it makes perfect sense.

Rock and roll!

I'll get a lot more pics for you tomorrow and will then send him on to France.

Hope your class is having fun. They're so lucky to have teachers like you guys. In Wales, the closest we came to having fun in school was only having your school burn down once a year instead of two (trust me, i'm not joking) and not being beaten up by the other kids or the teachers.

11. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Funny how different things look to other people. I would give my eyeteeth to be able to Jump the Pond and be over there.

As for my classroom. Hey, I believe in the best way to get kids to learn is to make it fun. (I mean common...I remember some pretty boring classes with some insane and not in a good way insane..literally lunatics for teachers.) I vowed that I would never ever get that way when I taught. Thus the ...hmmm. "unique" way I approach the class.

And as for your face being used to entertain a classroom thousands of miles away. YUP!! Absolutely.. (and a couple of the 8th grade girls stopped by saw the pic and swooned over you!) So very popular you are...yessssssss! :D

My classroom is a combination of Stitch (Lilo and Stitch) and SW... Did you know that you can use the word Taun-Taun (and other SW related stuff) to teach phonics? LOL

My kids may get lost on the way to the bathroom, but, by the Force they can write a heck of a story about Luke, Leia, Han, or Obi, Darth, Anakin, and Yoda. Whatever works, (and it makes my job a whole lot more fun!) [face_laugh]

Now..what was this about the school being burned down? (I mean all we did in High School was put a truck load of horse manure in front of the office doors so they couldn't open them ..about 1 ton of fresh...."stuff"

12. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    How old are 8th Graders exactly? [face_thinking]

Why do I get the feeling that i've just said something highly inapropriate? ;)

Well the story with my schoold is thus.

In the early 90's the high school (which you can see from my bedroom window) burnt to the ground. It was set on fire by bored punk kids, or disgruntled spice miners on the moons of Naboo, I forget.

The next day myself and a few friends went down there to check it out. Half the school had pretty much disappeared, but the half that remained was now wide open and granted easy access to the members of the general public!

So myself and my friends managed to find a storage room that was unlocked. :)

We took pretty much everything we could carry. Most of it was paper, books and the like, but I manged to get a really good dinamo (one of those things that you can use to make labels). I still have it funnily enough. Its in my draw somewhere. Still works too!

Funny thing is, several years and hundreds of thousands of pounds later when they had a new school, some bored punk kids tried to do the same thing again, TWICE!

They nearly succedded too.

Not that I would have minded, school was a pain in the bottom and i'm glad to be rid of there.

So what type of school do you teach in? And what are your students like? Is it anything like the stuff you see on tv with metal detectors, gangs and a Hell Mouth in the library?

13. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Wow! :eek: That's some story.

Ok, here's the answer to your questions. 8th grader's are usually between 13 - 14 years old. The two girls that "swooned" over you are cheerleaders for our school. Very popular and classic (like you see on TV) Cheerleaders (ok,, hope that comes across alright)

My particular class is a Special Education classroom. I have 29 kids total on my caseload. 20 are in regular classes and my aide and I go in and give them some extra help. The other 9 are in my classroom all morning 60% of the day. They from first grade (6 - 7 years) to 8th grade. All great kids, just have some problems learning. So, that's what I am there for... to help them out. The only bad thing, is that one of my kids fixates on Jar Jar..which means I have this 5th grader (about 10-11) that will only speak in GungGung, walk and act like Jar Jar.. He doesn't do it to be annoying (even though it is).. LOL...that is just him.. a walking, talking, living JarJar 24 hours a day, 7 days sa week.

My school is a small country school, in the middle of nowhere in Central California. It's surrounded by lots of farmland and dairys. We only have 400 kids total and we go from pre-school to 8th grade. Loads of fun, and everyone here is into SW. Which makes it even more fun. So, no we aren't the typical school you see on TV. About the most excitement we get here is when a cat crawls under a classroom and dies!

Course (and don't toss me out for this) my closest friend at school is a Scot. So we walk around and tell dirty jokes that nobody gets cause nobody else understands the slang or the accent!).

14. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well if those cheerleaders are still interested in a second rate O.C. extra, tell them to give me a call in a couple of years time. ;)

I suppose that if I were to teach I would choose the same age bracket as you. It seems that it would be much more satisfying and not to mention a hell of a lot easier to teach younger kids. Older kids have something to prove and tend to make life difficult, so if you ever need another teachers aid, let me know. :)

I myself worked with 13-14 year olds with learning problems a while back. I was working in a Summer Camp in Pen., USA, looking after kids with attention defacit disorder. Though Jar Jar hadn't come to prominance back then, there were elements of his character in just about every damn kid I had to look after!

What made it worse it that I couldn't say goodbye to them at 3.30pm every day and send them home to their parents, no! I was stuck with about 12 of the little darlings all day, every day! I did get one day a week off, but on the grand scheme of things its not really that much.

Still, I can look back on it now and laugh. Which is funny considering that I spent most of the time when I was there holding my head in my hands and gently sobbing.

So are you Scottish yourself?

15. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Hey, my Aide is retiring this year, so come on over! I really do like working with the older kids. They are old enough to have a lot to say, but still young enough to enjoy being silly and fun. The little ones, while cute..well, I like an age where the body fluids stay IN the body. "Do you have to.... Oh I see you already did!"

So you got to spend some time with ADHD'rs' Right On! They are my speciality as I'm severe ADHD myself. I was always drawn to them, I guess cause they are
    My People!" :D But can also understand that head in the hands bit too. Been there, have the T-Shirt.

As for being Scottish. Scottish/Irish/English by blood in that order. But born and raised on this side of the pond. Afraid if I ever get over there, I'll never come back. Ok, lets be clear, if I can ever get over there I'll NEVER come back! [face_laugh]

My friend is from Abdereen, and gives me "Scottish lessons" to make sure I get the "Ewan portraying Alec voice and accent down correctly." She's brutal on my basic Crieff accent. (Finally getting me up to a decent speed) But it has paid off. Nothing worse than a Yank with a bad accent! LOL Plus learning all the lovely little slang!

Course I didn't realize how offen I used Bugger, until one of my kids came up to me and told me that he was really having trouble reading a certain book, cause he guessed that he was just a "buggerer" ROFLMJAO And that was the last time I used THAT little expression in the classroom.

Edit: Before I forget. OC Extra huh? Like the TV Show? Or something that I need to be filled in on? ;)

16. TAFF_VADER

TAFF_VADER Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2004
    Hi master-kenobi, not had the pleasure before! I notice you say your friend is from Aberdeen yet you go on talk about a Crieff accent. Am I to assume from this, that your Scottish descendants are from this part of the world? If so - me too! My mum (mom) is from Crieff - tis a braw wee town, you ken? Have you ever been there? My Elder brother and sister actually were raised there (there quite a few years older than me) untill they came down to Wales, where me and my yonger sister were born. That puts me in the unique position of being welsh but having a scottish brother and sister!

17. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Greetings back at you! :) Been doing family research and found that I apparently do have some ties to Perth and Crieff. So, we may be kin afterall! The whole Crieff accent thing came about because Jackie (my Scottish friend) infomed me in that delightful, subtle way that only Scots can..that my accent and vocals needed some work. And that since Ewan was from originally from Crieff apparently, that if I wanted to get the whole transition to get the Kenobi voice down, I had to start from scratch. :D. So impersonating Ewan impersonating Sir Alec impersonating Obi-Wan. [face_laugh] The fact that I ties to there, I guess it is in the blood to get it right! (Actually Ewan does a heck of a good American accent! Really impressive) I just have a thing about impersonations.. love doing them.

As for kin..again, that would be so cool! I understand that Perth has a huge "calling home the family" type of get together every year..and Im thinking of maybe trying to go to one of those.

So, Mate welcome to the family! (Or am I being welcomed to yours?) :D

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    *Turns into a pestering mother hen and bothers Welshguy about sending Yoda to France* ;)

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Taking the Master out Pub crawling....hmm are we?

20. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Master Yoda is now winging his way to France as we speak.

At great expense......

I spent some time with him today though and took him out on a walk up some mountains.

Here are some pics of Yoda in Wales that you and your kids might enjoy.

Sorry, none of me in there as I had to take the pics. Please send my apologise to the cheerleaders. ;)

Yoda poses next to the last ever tram of coal that was brought up in the Rhondda Valley.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_638.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_640.jpg]

On top of an ancient site originally called "Monks Tump" (now been mutated to "Monkey's Tump"), Yoda feels the force and makes himself at home.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_641.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_642.jpg]

Overlooking the town of Maerdy, which is sadly my home....
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_644.jpg]

Yoda chills on the bench.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_645.jpg]

Yoda takes one last look at Wales before he heads off to France. Hoil vowr Yoda.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/IMAGE_646.jpg]

21. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Those are awsome pics. Want to go there myself even more now. (someday)...

Thanks for taking the time to get them.

Appologies and regrets to the Cheerleaders will be passed on. (I can hear them now..."WHAT no more pictures of.....HIM!!!" Accompanied with appropriate sighs and whining. [face_laugh]

Don't worry, just because Yoda is heading off to lands unknown.. I'm still going to be around to keep all of you in line! [face_laugh]

FBWY

Master K :D

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    [:D] Thanks again, Welshguy!!

23. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    It would seem that Yoda enjoyed Wales so much...

HE'S COMING BACK!

Yep, that's to some balls up across the channel, it would seem that everyone's favourite little green friend is on his way back.

Oh joy! This is an unexpected turn of events and no mistaking.

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL, again, I'm sorry. Little green tyke must have ordered freedom fries or something. ;)

25. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I thought the French would have been right at home with a little green frog creature. ;)

Maybe they tried to eat him or something, I don't know?

*sigh*

This tour is hardly going as well as we had all hoped is it?

He's only made 4 stops and it's all gone balls up on two of them already. Not a very good series of events.

At this rate the little guy won't get back home till 2009.

You know, with the proper photoshop skills nowadays, you don't need to actually send him round the world. You could just cut and paste him on "classic" backdrops, such as the Eifel Tower, Sydney Bridge, Big Ben and Ydyris' Sheep market.

Think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.