main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoinking random James Earl Jones audio and writing around it

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Had an odd little thought... I'm watching "Coming to America" on TV and it occurs to me that it would be sort of fun to make a fan film that gives Vader dialogue yoinked from other James Earl Jones performances. Especially if it was a serious film that just happened to be verrrrry cleverly written around Vader.

I mean, I've already caught a couple of lines in this movie that are delivered in a deep voice and sound like something Vader might have to say.

I dunno, just throwing the idea out there and seeing if anyone else finds it amusing.

Rick McCallum loves you!

2. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Amusing.

3. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well, in that movie I think there's a couple direct Star Wars quotes to spoof his former role.

That'd be kind of a cool thing to watch though.

4. DarthSlimer

DarthSlimer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I think we should just make a "Coming to America" fanfilm.

- Rico

5. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    Would be fun to do a skit with Jones' narration of The Raven from the Simpsons...

6. Mircat

Mircat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    Quoth the raven, "Eat my shorts."

- The Cat

7. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Heck, just put Vader in the role of "Thulsa Doom" from Conan the Barbarian. All the dialogue is already done.

You could have Conan be some Jedi or the son of some jedi that Vader killed in his search for . . . uh. . . steel.

--
    Jamball

8. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    ive actually had this idea before as well, while writing a script, only it involved pulling Mark Hamill dialogue out of other projects he had done and then shooting the actor from behind or in a darkened room, so as to mask the actual identity of the actor and make it appear as if Luke Skywalker was actually present, although the Vader idea was a thought for me as well. way i see it, as long as you can alter the clip to sound as if JEJ is speaking like hes under the Vader helmet, it should work very well. something to consider, though, is the cadence of the dialogue. Vader speaks with a distinct rythym to his words and you have to watch that the speed of the rythym matches the character's execution, otherwise it sounds like Vader getting verbal diarrhea and talking too fast, like a teenage girl from the Valley or something!

in truth, this could really work for any film. for instance, you are doing an action film and you want it to appear as if Jack Palance, as a crime boss, is sitting in a chair giving directions. you could rip the audio and stick someone in a chair, shooting the scene with the chair's back facing the camera and only showing an arm (we've all seen those cheesy scenes where the villan is sitting and stroking a cat while sitting in a chair with his back to a character). this way, it would appear that Jack Palance is in the scene, giving orders. the only problem with this is that you would have to write a script that didn't directly involve that character having to be involved more directly in the story. mostly this sort of technique could only be used as an occaisional thing in a film, otherwise it loses its effect. there is also the matter of legality to be concerned with. while some folks tolerate fanfilms and use of copyrighted materials, some do not. it may upset the wrong people to be using dialogue without permission or compensation, so it's wise to be careful with this kind of technique...

9. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I'd hate to say this, but I see this as an opportunity wasted.

If you had just done this yourself, and released it, it would have been hilarious. But, now that you blurted out the idea, there is no way that ANYONE could ever actually pull this off and match everyone's expectations.

Yep... This is an idea that will be discussed and never be produced.

Oh, what it could have been, though.

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    durb -- if your comment is directed at me, I would be entirely too lazy to undertake this task and have no desire to create a fan film ever again, so it's all good.

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. FarmboyKatarn

FarmboyKatarn Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    I had an idea like this before, except using Alec Guiness lines, based around his last line in Bridge Over River Kwai, where he says "What have I done?"
    Before the prequels were made, I thought it would be the perfect line for Obi right after he tosses Anakin down the lava pool.

12. GuanoLad

GuanoLad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 1998
    Yeah, I had this idea for using Han Solo too, but including a video clip from a Harrison Ford film, rotoscoped onto an actor's face for just one shot, enough to lend some credibility.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    enough to lend some credibility.

I'm pretty sure it would work the other way around.

14. Stained-Blade

Stained-Blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    Didn't Milius do that... the other way around? ;)
    "Conan... I am your father."
    "No! Das ist impossible!"

Neat idea, anyway.

15. GuanoLad

GuanoLad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 1998
    Well, in my head it would've worked brilliantly and seamlessly, and got me noticed, and lots of girls would fall in love with me.

But then, in my head is not a place anyone would want to be.

16. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    i don't know where this is from:

http://media.putfile.com/vaderfun

17. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    The only funny parts were when Obi Wan ignites his saber and very last line before it ends. [face_laugh]

18. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    i'm going to be sick...

19. Mircat

Mircat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    *snicker snort*

- The Cat

20. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    For my action figure movie "Generations" that i'm still working on i'm doing that using Sly Stalone's voice (for han solo) Arnold Swartiznagger (sp?) (for Anakin Skywalker) Samuel L Jackson (Mace Windu) and Martin Lawrence (for Lando). I had to make some adjustments to my script to fit in these 4 characters voices. In every scene I have these characters, i always surrounded them with someone who talked with a normal voice. This way that normal voice character can advance the story. Where as Martin lawrence can just say crazy stuff. But its turning out good.

heres a clip from my movie where you see what i did with Han and Lando's voices. And since i've never shown any trailers or anything of my movie this could help get ppl interested in it.

Clip from Generations

Enjoy

21. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    This topic was getting post left and right until i posted. No comments on my clip?

22. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I have QT7, but for some reason it just looks like an all white screen with no video:oops:

23. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    Its compressed in On2 VP3 format. Have you updated your quicktime all the way? I know when i first played a On2 Vp3 format clip my quicktime told me i dont have that format and if i would like to download it.

24. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    STOP USING THAT FREAKIN' CODEC.

God, it's terrible.

25. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    Well considering Sorension 3 (sp?) on Adobe Premier 6 sucks, the next best thing (compression wise) is On2 Vp3 format. I dont understand why you always complain everytime Funke? If you update your quicktime to use On2 Vp3 format then theres no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.