main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

-YOU- advise George Lucas about Ep III ... whaddiya say?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by NyLonathatep, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2001
    CUT DOWN ON THE CGI!

RED-FIVE standing by....

2. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I'd tell him to not listen to all the idiots who have done nothing but bitch and moan about Star Wars since 1997 and make the film for the real fans.

In other words, don't change a thing.

3. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    This thread is about *ADVISING* GL so we are required to you know *ADVISE* him if we could.The SW saga is by no means perfect (It is definiately flawed in some places) and just because you critique someone writing, directing, etc doesn't mean your bitching and moaning.At the end of the day it's all opinions so you gotta ask yourself, just because one thing is gold to you (or Lucas) doesn't mean it will be gold to someone else. One more thing, all the fans that want to advise Lucas so that SW will be a classic and care about the product just as much if not more than Lucas himself are not idiots.

4. EVANS

EVANS Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG DIALOG.

"This Party's Over"-Mace

"I don't think so."-Mace

"That was good"-Obi

"My Jedi Powers are far greater than yours, now back down"-Dooku (My karate chop action is better than yours)

"I don't think so."....again!!!-Obi

"Yo, Adrian!!!" Rocky Balboa

My 11 year old Daughter can write better Dialog than this...Geeeez

5. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    NO Jar Jar.

6. KSA

KSA Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    1. Make me director.
    2. Digitally insert me into the movie and let me kick Anakin rear so I can wear that suit.
    3. Make it last forever. I'll cry when Star Wars is over.
    4. If 3 is not followed, make Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.
    5. Don't do love stories, ever, ever, ever again. I mean "I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life." Blegh! That fireside scene was pretty, um, well, let's just say, stick with the lightsabers! (You could hire the writer from The Princess Bride. God, that was a great movie!)
    6. Don't listen to me (except for 3 or 4), because I'm just a fan who drooled over the Go-Gurt commercial with the Arena Battle stuff.
    7. Disregard 6.

I think action and conversations between Obi and Ani, with some Ani and Padme chats (Hell, maybe all three!), and we're set!

I so loved the Battle of Geonosis, I'm doing a short about 50 some odd Jedi taking on 500 some odd droids. May as well advertise... The Three part series set during the Clone Wars follows Jesk Onoto, a Padawan friend of Anakin Skywalker's (God that role will be hard to fill!).

7. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Make the movie how ever you want George!!!!

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
  9. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Be careful with GG.

But I trust you.

10. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    1) Title: "The Icy Dark Black Doomy Shroud of the Vengeful Sith Rises"

2) ...written and directed by the Wachowski bros in collaboration with Peter Jackson. George Lucas should take on more of an advisory role, coming up with names of characters and such.

3) Suited Vader throughout the entire movie, with JEJ doing the voice. Explain that Anakin turned to the dark side in the opening crawl.

4) Vader tortures Jar Jar to death. This will take up the first 20 minutes of the film.

5) Vader duels the entire Jedi council at the same time... using two double-bladed lightsabers... in bullet time!

6) Army of Sith fights army of Mandalorian warriors.

7) Force ghost of Qui-Gon has rematch against force ghost of Darth Maul.

8) Count Dooku duels a clone of Darth Maul.

9) Post-ROTJ Luke travels back in time to duel Plo Koon. Oh, and he uses force lightning. That would kick ass!

10) Padme in metal bikini.

11) Space battle between the Death Star and an anti-Death Star created by the rebels.

12) Jabba feeding ewoks to the rancor.

14) Sidious duels Yoda!

15) Reveal that Palpatine is a clone of Darth Sidious. Or vice versa. Search your feelings, you know it to be true!

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    ^ brilliant, Jabba. Every fanboy's dream. I can't even imagine how bad that would be. :D

Throw in a young Han Solo, VERY young Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Talon Karrde, Admiral Ackbar, even if most of them just walk through a scene and wink.

REMINDER: Please do not discuss ANY OS info, no matter how confirmed. This thread will be restricted to speculation only.

Don't "speculate" spoilers as if you're making them up for the first time either, because I will know. And I will be angry. Thanks. G_M

[image=http://www.sneem.com/aaaindeximages/angry.gif]

12. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Drop the kiddie rating, make it dark, complex and a bit more raw.
    Anakin/Vader in almost every scene!
    Beta your scripts more often.
    Have fun and show us you can do it better than Jackson and those Matrix bros! I want to cry in the end and be heartbroken by the story of Anakin's fall.. and cut down the flashy visuals from time to time.

EDIT: Sorry, I realize that information is confirmed, but we're keeping this to speculation ONLY so those hardcore spoiler-free people can participate as well. G_M

13. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    More poorly placed and poorly done fart jokes.

14. Darkwish

Darkwish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2001
    I'd tell him; "Just keep doing what you think is right. Your BIG weekness is dialogue! Please hire a good script writer for that stuff!! (Not John Hales)".

15. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I guess I would say don't make it TOO dark - it will probably be darker than ESB though, just because ESB is the middle, and Episode III is the end....although also the beginning.

One thing I have to praise Lucas for is to keep SW as that sort of "space opera", fairy-tale feel; it doesn't have to be updated for the 21st century (the Matrix, anyone? 8-}).

16. Darth_Sacrilicious

Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    "Suited Vader throughout the entire movie, with JEJ doing the voice. Explain that Anakin turned to the dark side in the opening crawl. "

I thought there weren't supposed to be any spoilers. That would be hiliarious.

17. LSHB

LSHB Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    Dear George:

1) No CGI. We can tell when it's used, and it comes across as laziness or cheating.

2) Respect our intelligence, and we will respect yours. Even kids want to be shown adult heroes and adventures.

3) The Amidala/handmaiden switch stopped fooling anyone a looooooong time ago.

4) One real fight between people is worth 100 fights between droids and/or clones.

5) Relax. Focus on the characters and their personalities and the shiny Xbox-worthy elements will come on their own.

6) Dignity beats out slapstick any day of the week.

Sincerely,
    LSHB

18. jabba_the_nut

Jul 17, 2003
    >1) No CGI. We can tell when it's used, and it comes across as laziness or cheating.

We have to go back to hand-drawn lightsabers?!

19. LSHB

Apr 12, 2004
    Hehe didn't they just use long tubes wrapped in reflective tape? Now you're talkin'.

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I'm not too sure about the whole CG issue.

Sometimes I think it allows Lucas to do things that we wouldn't otherwise see...sometimes it still looks fake, even though SW probably comes closer than anything.

It was the same problem with LOTR, with the possible exception of Gollum, which was phenomenal.

I know what you're saying - even though models or rubber masks or whatever look just as fake, it's in a different way, and for some reason, it's more acceptable.

I don't know if it's b/c we're more used to it or it's because of the physical presence that CG effects lack in some vague way...

I mean, I look at the effects in ANH and cringe...but I cringe at "Anakin" riding the Shaak in AOTC as well.

I think for sets/locations, generally CG works very well in the PT. Most of the characters work well - I really like Dex.

I'll stop rambling at this point - I have mixed feeling on the CG thing...I'm not sure we'd have the same SW without it.

21. jabba_the_nut

Jul 17, 2003
    >It was the same problem with LOTR, with the possible exception of Gollum, which was phenomenal.

Gollum was a good special effect, but he didn't look convincing or real at all to me when you get right down to it.

I liked the "real" Gollum we saw for a few moments in the beginning of ROTK. He looked freaky and disturbing. CGI Gollum looks like a cartoon caveman baby. I've yet to see a CGI character that looked as if he were actually there.

A Star Wars without CGI would mean a Star Wars without Jar Jar. And who would want to watch that?

22. LSHB

Apr 12, 2004
    Yeah, I love the LOTR films, but I also think Gollum had spots where he obviously looked like CGI..particularly his hands, for some reason, like when you first seem him pawing that ladder in Moria. But again, there were long periods in the film where you could forget about it. At least I could.

CGI in a pure CGI environment is fine. I love films like Finding Nemo, because everything fits. The trouble comes when you combine CGI with live action..CGI still isn't _quite_ there yet..it's good enough that you can get within maybe 98% of real..maybe more with inanimate objects. But we're trained from an early age to pay close attention to other people, and you instinctively know when someone looks a little funny on the screen. The whole arena fighting in AotC is representative of that.. and I think there's even a spot where Obi-Wan jumps onto the big horned beast where his leg goes right through it. Jar Jar is also obvious, but there were a number of other points where CGI was used on or for people that stuck out too..Darth Maul fighting in a few spots, Obi Wan and Qui Gon dropping into the hangar of the Droid ship, etc.

I definitely agree that masks and models can look goofy, but at least they are there. People's eyes line up correctly, and they can interact properly. Think about all those pained smiles Amidala gives in TPM when it's obvious they painted Jar Jar in later..she has no idea what she's supposed to be reacting to. My worry is that CGI itself has become 'the next big thing' in the minds of filmmakers, and they're afraid if they don't use it they won't seem cutting edge. As long as the effects are good, I don't think CGI should be the default.

23. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Fair enough. But I thought Gollum was absolutely phenomenal, best cross-over CG ever...and I think he put Jar-Jar to shame, not that I want to start that up again.

I guess the good thing about CG is I doubt we would have had amazing films like the PT and LOTR without it.

The bad thing is that you're right, it's not QUITE there yet - but I'm hoping that groundbreakers like ILM will take the challenge until we CAN'T tell the difference.

24. jabba_the_nut

Jul 17, 2003
    > definitely agree that masks and models can look goofy, but at least they are there.

Yeah, no matter how "unrealistic" puppets look, at least they look like they actually exist.

>My worry is that CGI itself has become 'the next big thing' in the minds of filmmakers, and they're afraid if they don't use it they won't seem cutting edge.

Exactly. What's really hard to watch is when relatively low budget movies throw in CGI just for the sake of having it there and being "modern", and it just looks horrible...

I think it's about the same thing with bullet time, which is just a fad now. In the original Matrix it actually made sense in context, but now it's mostly just pointless.

25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    5) Vader duels the entire Jedi council at the same time... using two double-bladed lightsabers... in bullet time!

:D

I'd say "George...keep the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel as long as possible, please give Plo Koon the chance to wave a lightsabre around at some point, and give Ian McDiarmid as much screen time as you can."

He'd say "Get off my damn lawn. Security!"

I think he'd be hard-pressed to really screw Ep3 up for me, given how much of a fan I am of all the other 5. It'd have to be something like Anakin losing the duel by tripping over his cloak...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.