main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV You all know it to be true.

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by JediMasterRevan, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterRevan

JediMasterRevan Jedi Youngling star 4

May 18, 2004
    [image=http://www.meierfrank.com/images/DF287-o.gif]

2. Keela

Keela Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2005
    Ummmm no, 'cause the page won't load.

3. Axia_Doneeta

Axia_Doneeta Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Can we get a moderator in here to ban this guy for all of eternity, no ONE on this board likes this JediRevan guy. Thanks

4. JediMasterRevan

May 18, 2004
    What would I be banned for?

EDIT: O BTW MY NAME IS JEDIMASTERREVAN NOT JEDIREVAN.

5. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    You know what for. Because you go out of your way to be offensive sometimes.

You know that there is no reason in the world to put up this post other than to cause trouble. Just like your post on my Star Trek thread. Comments that are intended to be rude or hurtful and completely unnecessary and unwelcome, which you disguise as opinions and truth.

You can justify your attitude and actions all you like, but I for one feel you are not welcome here. If you cannot be mature and respectful, then please take your comments someplace else.

If this forum had an "ignore" feature, I'd use it. But since it doesn't, I'd like to echo Axia's comments and ask for a moderator to just boot you off once and for all.

6. JediMasterRevan

May 18, 2004
    How is what I put up offensive in any way?

7. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    If you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer.

8. JediMasterRevan

May 18, 2004
    I mean what do you have against the Southern states forming there own Confederate Nation?

9. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    Once again, if you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer.

[face_talk_hand]

10. JediMasterRevan

May 18, 2004
    You are probably thinking about slavery in no way did I say anything about that.

11. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    Well seeing as how the MAIN reason that the south wanted to form their own confederate nation was because the northern states wanted to abolish slavery, and that's why we had that whole big huge war.....

12. Bleu

Bleu Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    In truth, there were other reasons why the civil war started.

Ummmm.

Just can't remember what they were. But I did know them for my AP History test like 10 years ago.

13. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    Money. Reason for war always = money.

The south based their economy on large crops of things like tobacco from those huge plantations. So when Lincoln wanted to end slavery, that would mean the southern land owners would have to hire workers for their plantations instead of free slave labor. The southern states didn't like the changes that Lincoln was proposing, because it effected their pocketbooks.

So they decided that it would be better to form their own country instead. Made up their own currency and sent a message to Lincoln saying "Bye!" To which Lincoln replied, "I don't think so!"

14. KleptoKlown

KleptoKlown Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 5, 2004
    *sigh* I third Axia's post...

15. Petra_Blakkwing

Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    as do i.....although that would be a fourthing.....

16. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Lincoln never really wanted to end slavery before the civil war began... He knew it would plunge us into a war. What he wanted to do was restrict the expansion of slavery from new states and territories. The South viewed that as a slight against them and mistakenly took it as a step towards emancipation in the South

Slavery may have been on Lincoln's agenda to end, it's hard to say for sure. But he was far too smart a man to try and abolish slavery in the South in the 1860s. He knew it would end in a civil war

But yes, why is JediRevan around?

17. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    I never said Lincoln was for or against slavery, in fact, he tried everything he could to stop the war from happening, but most of the wheels had been set in motion before he even took office. Actually, seven southern states seceded shortly after the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860 ? even before he was inaugurated.

Many compromises had been made to balance the number of "free states" and "slave states" so that there would be a balance in the Senate. The new Republican Party opposed the expansion of slavery in the Western territories. Although only a small share of Northerners favored measures to abolish slavery in the South, the Republicans were able to mobilize popular support among Northerners and Westerns who did not want to compete against slave labor if the system were expanded beyond the South.

The profitability of cotton solidified the South's dependence on the plantation system and its foundation: slave labor. A small class of slave barons, especially cotton planters, dominated the politics and society of the South.

Southern secession was triggered by the election of Lincoln. Lincoln was a moderate in his opposition to slavery and wasn't even on the ballot in nine southern states. He pledged to do all he could to oppose the expansion of slavery into the territories (thus also preventing the admission of any additional slave states to the Union); but he also said the federal government did not have the power to abolish slavery in the states in which it already existed. In addition to Lincoln's presidential victory, the slave states had lost the balance of power in the Senate and were facing a future as a perpetual minority after decades of nearly continuous control of the presidency and the Congress.

Politics and money = war. Lincoln didn't truely care about slavery any more than to just leave things as they were, but the politics of the situation, fueled by the South seeing everything they had go right out the window, caused a great deal of political conflict. But Lincoln actually had very little to do with the reasoning behind the South seceding from the Union. He was more of a symbol to the South that represented what they were angry with. Someone they could point a finger at and say "It's all your fault."

18. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Good points. But you said he wanted to end slavery, when in reality he did not until the war was well under way...

The real interesting thing about the South is that their greatest officer was offered the job of commanding the Union Army, but turned it down. Not because of states' rights or slavery but because he said he couldn't lead troops against soldiers of his own state

It's too bad too, because without Robert E. Lee the war probably would have ended during the Seven Day Battle

19. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    You're right I did say that. My bad.

Sounds like you have either recently taken an American History class or you just realllly like the Civil War era.

20. Axia_Doneeta

Axia_Doneeta Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    There was a civil war? When did this happen? The South? South America?

21. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.