main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social You are Lucasfilm! Pick an Ep. 9 director and 2 spin-off movies!

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by BigAl6ft6, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Episode VIII: James Cameron.

I think he'd be a good fit, to be honest. I'd love to see Nolan have a go with the SW universe as well, though.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Dead Pan, written and directed by Jim Jarmusch.

Our hero, the straight faced C3PO, wanders all around the Tatooine desert meeting strange people and contemplating the meaning of life.

TKT, BigAl6ft6 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  3. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I may have done this thread before, but I'm going to give it another go.

I love the idea of Abrams doing Episode VII after the wonderful job he did on both of his Star Trek films. I do feel that his style wouldn't be as fitting for what we need for the middle installment. If this trilogy is going to be like the last, then Episode VIII must be the darkest point, like Empire was. Thus, I think the best choice would be Christopher Nolan. In my opinion, the Dark Knight is probably the best film to be released since 2000. With a director like that at the helm, we can truly have something marvelous. It would be a gripping drama.

If we're creating spin-off films, then I think that the novel Dead Troopers would make for an interesting spin-off film. But since it's horror, I think we may need a horror director. Hitchcock is long gone, but we still have a few really good horror masters living. Francis Ford Coppola is familiar with horror, as shown by his work called Dementia 13. If we were to go the way of horror, I think George Romero would be the way to go for this. Either George Romero, James Wan, or another oldie like Coppola, or Wes Craven or John Carpenter.

Dead Troopers directors:
    1.) George Romero - Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead
    2.) Francis Ford Coppola - Dementia 13
    3.) James Wan - The Conjuring
    4.) John Carpenter - Halloween
    5.) Wes Craven - A Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream quadrilogy

Spin-off #2 would a film about the hutts and their interactions with Han prior to Episode IV. Since we'll be tapping into the rougher side of the galaxy, we need a rougher director. In my opinion, Martin Scorsese is the man for that job.

Recap:

Star Wars VIII - Christopher Nolan
    Dead Troopers - George Romero (probably)
    Film about the exchange - Martin Scorsese

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Julian Skywalker-Solo

Julian Skywalker-Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 21, 2014
    Episode 8:

Alfonso Cuaron, Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, or the Russo Brothers

Alfonso Cuaron has the practical special effects & cinematic chops, can do sci-fi & fantasy & make a big story seem personal: Harry Potter 3 & Children of Men
    Edgar Wright is a huge Star Wars fan that is an incredibly proficient filmmaker. Understands action, banter, and genre to a tee: Cornetto trilogy & Spaced
    Guillermo Del Toro: The monsters would be great. Can balance camp with action and horror as evidenced by the Hellboy movies.
    Russo Brothers- The Star Warsesque Community paintball episode was a great tribute to the series & better than most new action films.

As for spinoffs:
    Obi-Wan trilogy

First film is a Seven Samurai remake with Obi-Wan and six surviving Jedi protecting a planet against Vader & a legion of stormtroopers. Lightsaber battle in the rain.
    Second film is a Yojimbo remake with Obi-Wan pitting gangsters against each other
    Third Film is a Good, The Bad, and the Ugly remake with some major plot and role changes with Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, and an Imperial commander in the lead roles.

5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    Has there been much word on 8 and 9? I haven't really been following.

So Abrams is contracted only for 7, and they're not filming the trilogy back to back?

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There is no indication that JJ Abrams is signed for 8 & 9, although Kennedy has said that she wants him to do the entire trilogy.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think it's funny how this thread has pretty much just died a silent death, now that an episode VIII director has been announced...

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, look at my picks on the first page! I was onto something!

Also episode 9 I vote for Joss Whedon to close out the ST, he'll finally be free of Avengers by then!

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Good point. I've updated the thread title to say Episode 9. I left Spin-Offs in it since this NSA forum is for all the new films... the Episodes and the Spin-Offs. As you all probably know, we now also have a SA forum for the Spin-Offs too.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Episode 9? Well, that depends on the tone the other movies have honestly. If they're standard summer blockbuster fair, I think James Gunn just proved that he can do that very, very well with Guardians of the Galaxy. If it's anything *more* than that...I think Guillermo Del Toro would be my top pick. So I guess that's my answer.

Peter Jackson on LOTR-form doing an Old Republic film, or better yet, a trilogy of Old Republic films would be awesome. Give me Vin Diesel as Darth Malak in badass "Riddick" form, Matt Damon as Revan, Kate Beckinsale as Bastila...I'm throwing money at this.

My other ideal film - and this one will literally never happen - would be something that somehow combines the older pre-TPM novels. Namely: Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be, but it could be so dang cool. Basically, intertwining the events of the two novels, and cutting out Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon entirely. Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave, Kinky Boots) as Arwen Cohl, Jennifer Lawrence as Darsha Assant, Bradley Cooper voicing I-5 (literally just do what he did for Rocket in GOTG - that's two references to that film today; can you tell I saw it a few hours ago?) and heck, as long as I'm dreaming, Johnny Depp as Lorn Pavan.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. JaymieSecord

JaymieSecord Jedi Padawan

Jul 19, 2014
    Just my opinion, but I think Neill Blomkamp's name isn't being thrown in to the hat often enough.

I haven't yet decided if I want a solo Fett film or not. I have decided that Solo shouldn't be recast, but have accepted that he will be. But for my money, a realistic Blomkamp film featuring Solo, Fett, Jabba, Calrissian can be a huge success. Obviously bring his own cinematographer with him, because awesome.

Also feel for better or worse Giacchino will score a Star Wars film at some point. Hard to imagine anyone but Williams, unfortunately, it will come to this eventually.

I think I missed the OP's question. An Episode IX director. I'm putting my money on Brad Bird. Just my thoughts, but I think he's the guy to bring the great, emotional conclusion the ST needs.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Ep IX director, huh?
    George Lucas

....What, just cause he no longer owns SW doesn't mean he's suddenly not a filmmaker/director!
    Aside from that, I believe back in the 70's, he said that he would only direct the first (ANH) and the last one (which WAS ROTS, though he did direct TPM and AOTC), however now Ep IX will be the last

I dunno, wishful thinking. I see a very low chance but it'd be quite interesting indeed

BigAl6ft6 likes this.