main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You are of Bajor" A 'Trek' to 'Deep Space Nine'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For you, RT. I don't like it and that's my right. Trek isn't utopian. Every single one of the series proves that. They all still have war for one. I like exploring morality issues but I don't like when the supposed 'good guy' gets to break the rules and gets away with it.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    "no war ever" isnt a requirement for a utopian story. again, The Culture is another science fiction series centered around a truly utopian society however they have wars in several of the books (with other, less utopian societies).

and i would never begrudge you your right to have any entertainment preferences you want, im just explaining to you why your preference is dumb :)

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    If I recall correctly, Section 31 isn't the Federations intelligence service, Starfleet Intelligence is. Sec 31 is a shadow organization that most in the federation don't even know of.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It refers to Section 31 of the Federation's founding document, that says something about using any means necessary to protect the Federation. And that it's an almost completely hidden organization is part of what I mean by extreme. Real-world agencies such as the KGB and CIA aren't quite as in the dark. Starfleet is a military, so it would have its own intelligence branch (and SI officers were antagonists in a few TNG episodes). Come to think of it, I'm not sure why Starfleet Intelligence was deemed unsuitable by the writers for most of the Section 31 stuff.

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I actually thought Kai Winn was a lot more sympathetic of a character, when it looked for a while like she would make that heel-face turn. Dukat on the other hand I thought was self-absorbed and whiny all the way through...he did all that evil crap and then was all like "I was doing it for the good of Bajor! Why can't they just appreciate it?? Wah wah wah..."

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    After many years of not seeing this show, in the last 2 weeks I've rewatched the first 2 series and although my memories are generally "It's a lot better when Worf join", the 1st two series have been a pleasant surprise. Dukat is awesome, Garak is awesome, and I cannot abide Winn (which is the intention, so that works!)

Even episodes such as Shadowplay, and Second Sight are pretty good.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Garak is the greatest character ever conceived in Trek! There's a Garak quote for nearly every situation which, considering how few episodes he's in overall, is amazing!

Juliet316, Jedi Ben, TX-20 and 5 others like this.
  8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    My favourite is his interpretation of The Boy Who Cried Wolf

"Never tell the same lie twice"

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was amused at my comments for the first episode he showed up in- "I like this Garrak fellow, i hope he becomes a recurring character". By time you hit the later seasons, he's basically a main cast member for all the episodes he appears in.

Juliet316 and halibut like this.
  10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I've based a lot of my real life dealings around this gem.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That, Root Beer and...

Dr. Julian Bashir: Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?
    Elim Garak: My dear Doctor, they're all true.
    Dr. Julian Bashir: Even the lies?
    Elim Garak: Especially the lies.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    On a slight tangent, have you guys read the Tim Lynch reviews of the show? I don't agree with everything he says, but I have never read a better reviewer of Star Trek. If you haven't, please please do read them

http://timlynchreviews.wikia.com/wiki/Category:DS9

13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Heh, when I taste something disgusting I find myself saying in my head "it's vile!" in Garak's voice.

Jedi Merkurian , Sarge and dp4m like this.
  14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Just like the Federation...

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

they may have been kidding.

that said he was ds9's guinan except not boring

Sarge and The2ndQuest like this.
  16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Just watched Past Tense in my rewatch. What a load of sanctimonious drivel. Can't believe I liked it when it first aired.

17. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Binge watched some DS9 this past weekend!
    Watched "Waltz" last night. Great freaking episode. Dukat at his best! Season six has so many great episodes!

Sarge likes this.
  18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Watched a bit more of season 3, but had a big wait before "Through the Looking Glass". Is it just me that hates the Mirror universe episodes. Such a waste of time. What's the point of episodes where everyone acts out of character? It works in a once off (Such as Dramatis Personae), but as a running saga, it's ultimately pointless.

And Siddig El Fadil still cannot play a "bad guy". His acting in this is just as bad as "The Passenger"

19. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I didn't like the mirror episodes either, especially the fact that they kept visiting it in other seasons.
    I did like Intendant Kira though! :p

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, he did play a bad guy in 24 Season 6 (or, at the very least, someone we thought as a bad guy initially).

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    But I bet he didn't play it like he did in DS9.

But I probably hate him cos he married Nana Visitor :p

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's cool, believe she lived in my area for a while after the show was off the air...

halibut likes this.
  23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Meh, I've moved passed her. I'm all about Nicole de Boer now

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, he was relatively inexperienced compared to most of the rest of the cast when the show begain. His acting did get better (IMO) as the series went on, especially in the latter seasons when the twist in the Bashir character is revealed.

Sarge likes this.
  25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Somehow I just found out that Daniel Keys Moran was part of writing an episode of this series. I feel like a failed fan of both franchises now.