main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You are of Bajor" A 'Trek' to 'Deep Space Nine'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Grillbu_Fett

Grillbu_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2005
    Hello. Nice to meet people who are interested in Star Trek, too.

I like DS9 a lot, but the last season really screwed things up. I liked the Dominion Wars, but in the last season it became far too dominant, and how that "the chosen one"-thing with Sisco and Odo turned out was far too much for me.
    Why did they have to end that war with the Dominion as easy as that?
    Okay, I understand that they had to get one's act together with Sisco just in order to close the circle, but did he have to become a new Jesus?
    And somehow Odo became a new Jesus, too, by healing the collective of the founders.

I don't want to post off-topic, but there is a parallel to "Voyager": In the last episode, "Endgame", Janeway easily finished off the Borg and brought her crew home. Seems like Rick Berman thought, "Well, I made my money, now devil will care".

I want to emphasize that I like DS9 and Voyager a lot, but the very last seasons of both series took strange turnarounds in my opinion.

BTW, can somebody tell me where I can find detailed information about the StarTrek-Universe, similar to the "inofficial star wars encyclopedia"? I tried StarTrek.com, but some things I can't find there.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I quite like poking around this site: ---> Memory Alpha. I'm not sure if that's the kind of thing you were after.

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I was watching some DS9 today and I wish Terry Farrell would have stayed till season 7. I hate the new Dax. Jadzia was a great character, especially when she got hooked up with Worf.

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I liked the new Dax she was cute and insecure.

5. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    My favorites:Duet, Our Man Bashir, Trials and tribbluations(sp)-the tribute to troubles with tribbles, and Far Beyond the Stars.Question on the character played by Andrew Robinson.Was he a sleeper spy pretending to be an innocent tailor?In the tribute to trouble with tribbles some use of old footage with new footage and Terry Farrell in the red miniskirt was something.Funny at the end with the tribbles in Quark's Bar.Oh I forgot-Little Green Men.Back to Roswell in 1947.Now we know what really happened there.LOL!

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I really don't understand why anyone thought this show was good. I always prefered the other shows because they take place on Starships and they can actually explore the galaxy...Nothing ever happens on DS9. It's boring. Believe me, I've tried to like it...I watch the reruns and borrowed my friend's Season 2 DVD set...but I just don't get the feeling I get when I'm watching TNG or VOY. :(

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    The time DS9 had it's run was when I didn't like Trek. Bad vibes as a kid from TNG I suppose. So I've been picking up on it since 03-04 when Spike got it.

I never saw the cast as a family like TNG. At least Voyager found a way to get the Maquis and Starfleet together, but DS9, everyone had their own cliques and it just hasn't worked so far. I'm trying. I do like Worf and Dax, Odo and Quark and that's about it as far as characters go.

8. AmberSolo

AmberSolo Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2006
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is one of my favorite Trek series. I like the character Odo. He has the sacrastic tone I like and I can understand how it is like to be an outsider. Also, I love all the different species and how they interact with each other!

9. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Go finish the show, this show has definitlty the best Trek episodes out there and believe me something will happen, something big and when you do something big you need a proper build up.

10. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I understand what people mean when they say that "nothing ever happens on DS9," but I must respectfully disagree.
    In fact, my two favorite science-fiction TV shows are Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5, and both of them are set on space stations. Exploration is all fine and good, and it truly is the stuff of much good science fiction, but there is something to be said about a show where the decisions that characters make are far more likely to have consequence and impact further down the road.
    In shows where a starship explores a different planet and meets a new race or culture every week (sometimes violently clashing with that culture), there's sometimes a bit of a "one-night-stand" syndrome (sometimes quite literally in James T. Kirk's case!), where whatever consequences resulting from the decisions made by the captain (or other characters) are not dealt with, because our heroes will be long gone to another strange new world next week!
    However, because DS9 and B5 are based in a single setting, and deal with relatively specific situations, the decisions that Sisko and Sheridan make are almost always guaranteed to have lasting repercussions, sometimes for good and sometimes for ill.
    It's not always quite so cut-and-dried, however. Kirk, Picard, and Janeway have often had to deal with the results of decisions that they've made in earlier stories (The Wrath Of Khan and Descent, Parts I & II being classic examples). And it's not like the crews of DS9 and B5 don't get to go out much! (I mean, that's what the Defiant and the Whitestar are for, right?);)

11. Darth_Pazuzu

Aug 3, 2005
    ^
    I do make an effort not to multiple-post, but I would appreciate a little feedback here![face_plain]

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    DS9 is my fave too. I agree that the static setting can help involve the devoted viewer far more than the 'caravan' home of the Enterprise-D or Voyager. You really began to care for more than just the characters, but the place itself. The Bajorans and Cardassians became constnat companions, and the Dominion a constant threat. Primary and secondary characters could have long running histories with each other, and secondary characters became as important as those with their names on the title sequence. Dukat for example, was always more important than Jake Sisko, or Miles O'Brien. TNG and Voyager were very much stuck with the six or seven main characters. DS9 branched into far far more than that.

With DS9, you felt that it was a genuine attempt to delve deeply into Trek's universe.

13. Nihillius

Nihillius Jedi Knight

Dec 18, 2005
    Shakarr did die in the relaunch novel series which is considered Canon IIRC

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh sure, spoil the books when I haven't had the time to delve that far into the brilliant relaunch series. :p I was talking about the TV series itself in which Shakarr and Kira broke up.

15. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    DS9 was my favorite Star Trek, and I've seen them all except Enterprise. Well, half of DS9 and Voyager, since the stupid network here canceled both in the middle of the 4th season! I'll get them on DVD eventually, though.

16. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I'm a huge fan of DS9 - I think it was one of the most original and fresh television shows of the 90's - although, it did become kind of generic in later seasons, but it was a testiment to the writers to still make it fun and interesting. I remember when it first came out, I wasn't too interested in it, prodominantly because it dealt with a lot of religious issues in the first few seasons, and being a person that detests religion, I began to turn away from it. But after the third season, I got back into it, and it became outstanding. Especially in the years since, and when I bought it on DVD, I've been able to go back and watch it with a less judgemental eye, and I found that it wasn't so much the religious aspect that turned me off it, but the idea it was different, and the more I watched it, the more I respected it, and that respect turned into love, and now I'm thinking to myself, "What the hell was I thinking???"

Yesterday, I began watching the season 7 DVD's - in particular the extras - and I thought to myself as I was watching the interviews about wrapping everything up, how difficult it must have been for the writers to accomplish, because it wasn't just the character arcs of the primary characters (Sisko, Worf, Odo, Kira, et al.), but what of all the secondary charcters that were introduced...Weyoun, Dukat, Martok, Damar, especially Garak! I thought the way the series had finished was a great wrap up.

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/TheOriginalGuru/GMEX%20Manchester%20-%20February%2011th%202006/DSC00969.jpg]

And that's me with the man himself - probably the most chilled out, and relaxed person you could ever meet! (Oh, and that's Brent Spiner [Data] on the far left! Another really cool guy!)

17. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I remember how much I used to enjoy DS9. It makes me glad that Spike started showing it again.

Indeed. He's responsible for one of the funniest lines I've ever heard.

"Didn't anyone tell you the plan? First I pretend to be their friend, and then I shoot you."

18. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Here's my favorite Garak moment:

Bashir: "I thought you enjoyed my company."

Garak: "Oh, I did. And that's the worst part. I can't believe that I actually enjoyed eating mediocre food and staring into your smug, sanctimonious face."

[face_laugh]

19. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Am I to understand that there were books written that take place after the end of the show? If so, can anyone give me a list of them? This is the only Trek series that I got into enough to want to know what happens after the show. I have read a couple of TNG novels, but that was during a slow period in SW novels, DS9 novels would likely be high on my reading list.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Spook, if you click on the Trek books thread, I think I can give you a fairly comprehensive list of Relaunch novels as well as where to start with them and what's considered a part of the relaunch and what's considered an unoffical part of the project (like A Stitch in Time with Andrew Robinson who played Garek). If I miss some, I'm sure there are others in that thread that can help fill in any gabs.

21. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Thanks, Juliet, I have already posted the request in that thread.

22. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Garak was my favorite character on DS9 as well. Has anyone read the new DS9 book Warpath?

chow

23. Darth_Pazuzu

Aug 3, 2005
    I just thought of something (albeit apropos of nothing):

"Gul Dukat is a great man!"
    "Yeah, great at getting us into trouble!"
    [face_laugh]:p

24. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I love DS9. The Dominion war arc and episodes like In the Pale Moonlight gave us the greatest moments in all new Trek. TNG did have its moments but DS9 was more consistantly intriguing (until you got to the Ferengi episodes, of which the only one I liked was Little Green Men). Dukat, Garak, Odo, Bashir, Kira, O'Brian. . . all great developed characters and I didn't even name the lead. Sisco is indeed my favorite commander/captain.

If the DVD sets weren't so expensive I'd have the bought them all up already. The first three seasons have dropped to $50, but I would rather them all drop to $30-40 before I took the plunge. Ah well, I'll just live with the random bits I get off Spike TV.

BTW, a bit of trivia here. I was watching the first Dirty Harry movie the other day and the killer seemed familiar to me. It was Garak (Andrew Robinson)! Shocking, I know. ;)

25. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I think one of the reasons this is one of my favorite Treks, next to the original, is that it wasn't afraid to laugh and not take everything too seriously. It was more like the original Trek in that way. Even though it dealt with serious things they never forgot to make it fun. And I just liked all the characters much better than TNG. I could never warm up to that show. Too many characters with a rod up their spines for my taste. :p