main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You are of Bajor" A 'Trek' to 'Deep Space Nine'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Jan 4, 2006.

1. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    This is by far the best Trek series out there. The Dominion War was done brilliantly, and I agree with those who said the supporting cast was just as important as the titled cast. That said, Weyoun is easily my favorite. Jeffery Combs is awesome. The writing was superb, and you feel for the characters and care for the story arcs. What a fantastic series.. and.. well.. we need to be discussing it more, so I unlocked and upped. :D

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I tend to think of Garak as the character that had the most exposed about his prior life before becoming a tailor on DS9. I am a huge 9er as well and thought that the Dominion War arc was the best in any ST series. Yes, the first two years had some pretty uninspiring episodes, but once the Defiant came into the picture and Sisko became a Captain, then the series really hit an amazing stride. The Jem'Hadar and the Breen are probably now the most underexposed alien races. Nothing has been mentioned of either since DS9 completed and it is a terrible shame.

3. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Sisko is by far my favorite of the captians (okay so I love Kirk too, but I digress). This series really picked up when Worf came onto the station. I just think the concept of the whole series was great. It was something different. It gave Trek new life!

So let's discuss.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    DS9 is the gem of Star Trek...and one of the best shows of the 90s.

The cast is one of the finest ensembles in TV history...which was both the shows critical achievement, and it's popular curse. Great for the dedicated viewer, but confusing for the casual channel flipper.

Jump the Shark Moment: Ezri Dax

Worst Character: Dax in all forms (yes, she was pretty...but her plots were always emo)

Best New Element: Jem'Hadar

Best Old Element Improved Upon: Cardassians

Best Debunk Star Trek Cliche: Super-humanity...they pitched it out on it's ear...thank goodness.

Best Character: Kira or Quark

Best Plot: I LOVE Sisko vs. Eddington...that was palpable hatred.

Best Episodes: "In the Rale Moonlight" and "Take me out to the Holosuite" for very different reasons, of course.

It ratcheted the license out of science-garble episodic puke and made it mean something to be invested in the show.

Sisko is easily the best lead ever...Kirk would be shinning Sisko's boots.

5. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    My favorite has to be "The Visitor." Man I cried like a baby on that one!

Of course I hated when Jadzia was gone. When I was pregnant, Jadzia was the name we picked out if we were going to have a girl. Didn't have one, but still loved her character. She really grew on me.

Sisko was a great capt. So much depth and always getting his point across. Loved him.

(Still love Kirk, but I think that's in a cheesie, nostalgic kind of way. I can't help it!)

6. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Hi All. What happened to DS9 - have they stopped showing it on Spike and G4?

Love the show. 'In the Pale Moonlight' is for me by far the darkest, most chilling and captivating episode - if ever Star Trek had an answer for Empire Strikes Back, this is it!

Cheers,
    Ram

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I think Spike plays it late night...like 2am est....and then it's often pre=empted.

8. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Oh okay, thanks that's good to know. I thought it was just Voyager they now show on Spike. 2:00am is going to be a challenge though.

9. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    I wondered when they had started showing it! I miss it being on in the afternoon especially now when I have Mondays off and could enjoy it!

10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    The wonders of DVR.

Or, if you are slightly more old school.

Program the vcr.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "Far Beyond the Stars" was another brilliant episode. The exchange between Garak & Odo in "the Die is Cast" is another instance of pure win.

12. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Just looking through the Spiketv guide for the next week or so. It doesn't seem to mention DS9. :-(

13. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I liked this show so much, my youngest daughter is named "Kira".

14. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    This was easily my favorite Trek, although I'm a fan of all of them.

Best episodes:
    1. In the Pale Moonlight. Perhaps the best Trek episode ever.
    2. Duet
    3. The Visitor
    4. In Purgatory's Shadow, By Inferno's Light
    5. The Wire

I include The Ascent because of the Odo and Quark dialogue. Hilarious.

Favorite characters: Hard to choose. Sisko, Garak, Martok, Dukat,Weyoun...

Like I said , hard to choose.

15. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    Now that is some love. We were going to use Jadzia, but had two boys.

This is an awesome show. If all Trek could be this way!

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    It would be awesome, and about 7/8s of the Trekie goons would have to find some other fixation to focus on, cause most Trek fans hate DS9!

That might be an unconscious reason why I like this show...cause most Trekies don't.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you're in the UK Virgin 1 shows it at 3pm and 8pm (same episode at both times). The episode Looking for Par'march is currently showing. I like this one. And Tribbles is on Thursday.

18. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    Maybe that's why I like it too! It's not conventional Trek.

19. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Its fantastic that Virgin 1 show DS9 every weeknight and at prime time too! (8:00pm). It speaks volumes for a show that's now more than ten years old. According to BARB the show averages 230,000 viewers a night.

Really, most Star Trek fans hate DS9? Did anyone tell them that because they seem to have voted a DS9 episode at startrek.com as the single greatest episode of all time in the history of all Trek. That against the likes of City on the Edge of Forever, Mirror Mirror, Best of Both Worlds, Yesterday's Enterprise....!

Cheers,
    Ram

20. Takianna

Apr 22, 2005
    Which one did they vote the best of all time?

21. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    In the pale moonlight, probably its currently the best rated Star Trek episode. Dominion Wars is also considered the best multi episode story arc in another poll (but honestly there's no competition for this one :p )

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a heads-up for UK fans. The upcoming Star Trek magazine will be celebrating 15 years of DS9. The ad in the current SW Insider says it will be on sale March 20.

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    No...that's a microcosm market...it's like if the Presidental Race was determined by online polls, Ron Paul would've won by a landslide.

Most Star Trek fans...which is many more then those that troll for Star Trek polls...disapprove of the direction of DS9. Which is why both Voyager and Enterprise went away from many of the innovations of DS9. They avoided the serialized dynamic up to trying to save Enterprise with the Xindi...They avoided the moral dilemma's of DS9 in Voyager by making many more simple solution tales to reinforce the old "prime directive" notions...even to the point that they made it key to the shows pilot premise. With Enterprise, they avoided the pitfalls by predating making them an issue.

But far and away, the biggest thing Star Trek fans had issue with in DS9 was the "darkside" of humanity rearing it's head...it was also something that had begun to appear in TNG after Gene died. Humans weren't above reproach...they were still greedy...they were still power hungry. This was on full display in DS9, since a key of the show was a universal portrayal of species...breaking stereotypes...but that includes Gene's "High Human" mythos.

There is a reason Voyager came along as hot and fast as it did on the heels of TNG.

They knew DS9 couldn't carry the new network they were building.

24. Ramesh

Oct 30, 2000
    Hi All. Some disheartening news I'm afraid. It looks like Virgin 1 will stop showing DS9 on primetime after this Friday.

And they 're ending it with the season 6 opener 'A Time to Stand', which is rather odd. Its such a shame because its perhaps the best season out of all seven. So that means no Rocks and Shoals, Sacrifice of Angels, Far Beyond the Stars and most notably, In the Pale Moonlight. :-(

Monday onwards they'll start showing Next Gen at 8pm weeknights, which is good I suppose, but a shame they couldn't include both shows in the evenings.

http://virgin1.virginmedia.com/tv_schedule/6/4

It'll be interesting to see how many people tune in for Encounter at Farpoint.

Cheers,
    Ram

25. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Probably a bunch of folks looking for the second episode of Season 6...

I've watched all the ST series, but DS9 would have to be the only one of them that I want in my DVD collection.

Avery Brooks made the best captain of all the shows and only Patrick Stewart comes in a distant second, the rest of them might as well forget it.

DS9 is the only one I want to know what happened after the show ended. Are there any good books about what happened to the station and characters after the series finale?

Bringing the Defiant in and having the war with the Dominion were the two best things they could do with the series. Heck, Enterprise tried to emulate the success DS9 had when the Dominion War started when they had the Xindi story arc.