Amph "You are of Bajor" A 'Trek' to 'Deep Space Nine'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Ultima_1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, there's a pretty good post-show series. I don't remember all of the books, but the first two books are Avatar Part 1 and Avatar Part 2. I'm sure you can find the list of books if you search for "DS9 relaunch" or something similar.
  2. CrazyOldHermit Force Ghost

star 4

The only book I can think of right now off the top of my head is "A Stitch in Time".
    It's about Garak and his trying to help Cardassia recover from the war and the Dominion's attempted genocide. It was really good. It also gives more detail into his past.
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  4. Rebel_Spook Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for reminding me, I'd completely forgotten you told me the books before. Guess the last two years were rough enough for my mind to let go of that info.

When I get a chance, I'll check out some of the used book stores near me when I get a chance.

Spike TV has the "Ezri era" showing at 2 AM, I like that DS9 is still showing, but I'd prefer an earlier season, and a better airing time.
  5. Takianna Force Ghost

star 3
    I prefer the the non-Ezri version too! I wish they still showed it during the day. It's bad enough that around here I have to watch TOS at 6 a.m.
  6. Ramesh Jedi Master

star 4
    'Wrath of the Prophets' is an excellent DS9 book that I'd highly recommend. It features Ro Laren (the Bajoran Starfleet officer who betrayed Picard to join the Marquis resistance in the TNG episode 'Pre-emptive Strike').

In this book Sisko seeks the help of Ro Laren to find the cause of an alien disease on Bajor. The exchange between Ro and Kira Nerys is brilliantly written, and there's a lot of suspense and intrigue to the story, with Bashir and Dax also playing a key role. Can't say much more without spoiling the story. This would have made a great on-screen episode (or two). Definitely worth a read.

Good to know that Spike is showing DS9 again. I prefer the non-Ezri too, but there are some good episodes in season 7.

Cheers,
    Ram
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9

I picked this up at WH Smiths (newsagent/bookstore) today and it looks pretty good. It's put out by Titan - the same company that do the SW Insider. I don't know if it's sold in the US as well but it looks like it's worth getting.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Out of curiosity- was there any DS9/Voyager crossover content/references beyond the Voyager pilot?

Even though I'm a few seasons away from DS9 in my Trek reviews, while I intend to watch TNG & DS9 in alternation to maintain chronological order, I'm debating if I'll be doing the same with DS9 & Voyager- if there's no references, on the whole, I may consider just finishing DS9 first and then do Voyager.
  9. General_Kor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Generally, there are no crossovers between DS9 and Voyager beyond the pilot. The Dominion War is mentioned offhand in "Message in a Bottle". The destruction of the Maquis is also referred to in a couple of episodes. I believe in the seventh season there are some holograms of Jem'Hadar and Breen that also appear. On the DS9 side, Robert Picardo guest stars as Dr. Lewis Zimmerman, creator of the EMH i, who also appears in Voyager during the later seasons, in one episode.

Beyond these small references there is no interaction between the two series.
  10. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah...being 70,000 lightyears away from an unmoving space station takes some of the possibilities out.
  11. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I figured as much- just checking to make sure there wasn't some "we need to get/we go this message out to Voyager" or "we heard Voyager defeated Enemy X!" type plot that was relevant.
  12. DarthButt Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No, they really don't have much to do with each other. I did watch them in chronological order the first time through. The second time through, I found that doing that took away from DS9's excellent story arc. It seems best to just do DS9 straight through, from season 3 on. It also help watching Voyager - and this sounds bad - but when DS9 is getting really good, I was kinda annoyed to have to watch Voyager, especially when one of those "what does this have to do with Star Trek???" episodes came on. Voyager was better on its own.
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, that was one of my concerns too- with Voyager being so standalone from DS9, and my not being paricularly enthusiastic to watch Voyager while very much looking forward to DS9, I was concerned there'd be "why do I have to switch to Voy now?" feelings.
  14. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    Watch DS9 and then go the Enterprise.

Let Voyager rot in it's own miscues.

No...strike that...watch Voyager from the introduction of 7of9 on.

Beyond the obvious, the tone of the show "corrected" to a much better place.

I can actually stomach the last few sessions of Voyager...the first couple are intolerable,
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, I am watching everything as pat of this endeavor, it's just a matter of what order. I know some of Voyager will be terrible, but it'll be "modern medicority-bad", which is still far more preferable to "60's bad". If I can suffer through The Man Trap, Charlie X, Mudd's Women, The Omega Glory and Plato's Stepchildren, I think I can survive devolved lizard humans and the Klingon-lite Water Mafia.

(ok, ok, I couldn't actually force myself to finish The Man Trap, it was so bad...)
  16. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    Actually, I think some of the "stink" off the "cheese" from the first couple years of voyager may give "60's bad" a run for the money.

Voyager in the early seasons was very evidently the "lighter" fare to the increasingly dark DS9...it really was kind of a litmus test to see what Trek fans really wanted...the interlaced drama of DS9 or the more "trekkie" new face a week of "Voyager".

Painfully, the 2 were not exactly comparable, and the audiences were more distinct then the average "Trek" fan...plus the network show vs. syndication limbo made such measures impossible.

but still, there was a different flavor...and there had to be with running 2 series concurrently for much of their lifespans.

You can tell just from the crews what they were trying:

Sisko - serious, paternal / Janeway - warmhearted, counselor type

Kira - fire and ice / Chakotay - mellow and thoughtful

But as DS9 kind of was part of the general television transition to serious drama, Voyager joined the part a few seasons down the road.

I always equate the first 3 seasons of voyager as more in common with TNG in the first 2 seasons, then anything else in the franchise...Voyager began as an attempted reboot of Gene's utopian, super-humanity mythos that TNG had slowly grown out of and DS9 rejected on face. and even Voyager couldn't take the cheese forever.
  17. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    One of the major problems I had with Voyager was: Why were the Kazon even a threat? They didn't even have frikkin' warp technology!

TUVOK: Captain, long range sensors detect a Kazon vessel.
    JANEWAY: Go to warp.

End of episode!

18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think the core problem with Voyager came from the outset- they kept saying how it was "returning to Gene's original vision" or somesuch. And so we got Voyager. Then they said "it really gets back to what gene was doing on TOS" and we get Enterprise. They never stopped to consider that maybe trying to go back to Gene/TOS was a bad idea. TNG started to excel after it started to move away from the ridiculous "visionary" restrictions of Gene, and DS9, as you say, rejected a lot of that from the start. The man may of created ST, but from what I've seen and read, he never liked what made the franchise popular and was the source of it's worst elements.
  19. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    it isn't an accident that the best received episodes of "Enterprise" are "in the mirror, darkly".

I really wish there was more of that in TNG...and some of best stuff from DS9 was mirror uni stuff.
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Mirror Universe series at some point. The only hurdle would be the need to focus on original crew which wouldn't have the benefit of having real-universe counterparts to contrast with.

Always thought there'd be potential for a series dealing with Starflet having to deal with some kind of Mirror universe incursion or crossovers. See what kind of impact it would have on Starfleet's alliances if Terran Empire forces, looking like Starfleet ships so much, attacked Federation allies. I mean, Starfleet could try to explain, but, really, would that many people buy the line "oh, those Galaxy-class ships that attacked you? Those weren't ours."?
  21. goraq Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Does the sries has a spinoff movie?
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Nope- sadly, DS9 was never given the opportunity to transition to the big screen, though the Defiant appears in First Contact and there are throwaway references to DS9 and the Dominion War. Also, Quark almost appeared in Insurrection, but his scene was cut.
  23. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    honestly...I prefer it that way...with the liberties and the increasingly absurd nature the trek films took, the dignity of DS9 has been encapsulated to an extent.

I mean, I'm amazed by what a blow "Admiral Janeway" made to Voyager...and truthfully, it wasn't a "bad" cameo...it was just such an obvious fan service...except I don't think fans really wanted it...at all.

I don't care how far across the galaxy you were...you are not a superior to his royal baldness!
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Really, they should have used Star Trek 9 as an opportunity to at least setup a potential DS9 movie in the future- incorporate it into a TNG story, etc.

Only problem is First Contact was a big hit for them so they assumed they could take that momentum and get more than 1 more film outta the TNG cast- but unfortunately they made the franchise killer known as Insurrection, and the opportunity was lost (since Insurrection destined Star Trek 10 to be about letting the TNG go out with a half-decent movie instead of setting up a new crew).

Who knows? Maybe if Nemesis hadn't been placed up against The Two Towers it could have made enough of a profit to warrant a switch to DS9 instead of having to wait 5+ years for a prequel reboot.
  25. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    But that's another thing about DS9 though.

With other series in the franchise, you leave the crew much as they always had been, and would continue to be.

DS9 was fundamentally changed by it's conclusion...main protagonist, gone...main antagonists, gone...major underlying plot premises...complete...most major character subplots, explained and THEN some.

In truth...a DS9 movie would've been REALLY hard to sell...simply because DS9 was a niche market audience...and things that make perfect sense to be a plot points for DS9 would not sell as "Trek to general audience" material. At the same time...a regular DS9 story would not ring out as "typical Trek" either.

I'm happy they didn't get to "movie-fy" DS9.