main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You are of Bajor" A 'Trek' to 'Deep Space Nine'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Duck, Jan 4, 2006.

1. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008

,,DS9 was fundamentally changed by it's conclusion...main protagonist, gone...main antagonists, gone...major underlying plot premises...complete...most major character subplots, explained and THEN some.,,
    I like it more and more with every minute.

2. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Its great to see that DS9 is back on Virgin 1, weeknights at 8pm (and earlier at 3pm).

http://www.virgin1.co.uk/tv-listings

And it looks like they have resumed where they left off previously (middle of season 6). Some truly great episodes over the next couple of weeks? don't miss out!

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I have my DVR set to scan the channels for whenever a DS9 ep comes on...I think Spike has rights in the states right now...and every 3 weeks or so you'll get 2 episodes here and there.

4. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    I just finished the series,and i just wanna say thankyou for the answers you provided,it was prety decent.

5. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    I miss DS-9 :( Its been years since I could watch it on a semi-regular basis.

I did see one episode a few months ago that was awesome.

It was where Sisko and Gul Dukat were trapped on the desert planet after their ship was destroyed. Dukat was going nuts but still trying to get Sisko to somehow understand his perspective.

6. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Hi All,

For those living in the UK, you might be interested to know that 'In the Pale Moonlight' will be shown at primetime on Thursday evening at 8:00pm on Virgin 1.

http://www.virgin1.co.uk/tv-listings

Considered by many (myself included) to be the single greatest episode in the history of Star Trek. (voted #1 by fans at startrek.com). Its about ten years old now but I'm sure it will stand the test of time.

Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Ram

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Lucky!

It is one of if not the best episode.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just bumping this for easier access, as my Trek viewing journey will be taking me to DS9 next (I'll be alternating between TNG & DS9, then eventually DS9 & VOY, but posting the episode comments in their respective threads for this forum).

It should be interesting- watching all of DS9 was actually the inciting reason for me to have started this whole project 4 or 5 years ago with TOS. I've always been curious to see how it really compares/steals/shares with B5 as well, so I'll likely be adding an additional intermittent log (ala my time travel and alternate universe logs) to track those similarities/coincidences, etc.

Also, unlike TNG, I haven't seen the majority of the DS9 series- I think I stopped watching in the 2nd or early 3rd season just as they first began to encounter the Dominion. So there'll be little in the way of nostalgia to affect me like might have been an occasional factor when watching some TNG episodes, and most of it will be very fresh (I know a few things that happen, as well as eventual cast changes, but most of it is pretty unknown to me).

I also remember I had a DS9 model kit way back in the day when I had an interest in that hobby (mostly stemming from my uncles, who were both Trek fans and occasional professional modelmakers for museum displays like ones at the USS Intrepid), though i recall never finishing it- just getting the bottom power core and flat circlular areas done, never attaching the curved spires or what have you (which I suppose nicely complements my unreapired/unfinished Enterprise-A model whose saucer was too heavy for the secondary hull's "neck" to support).

I recall there was one point in DS9 when i watched it back then that started to turn me away from Trek as it illustrated Trek's heavy use of the reset button and lack of serialistic progression from one episode to another (ironic, as it would really be the first Trek series to eventually execute such a concept- though only after I stopped watching it ;) ), which, a few years later, would be what so attracted me to B5 when given the opportunity to watch that series. The moment involves the Klingons, but I'll save the details for when the episode comes.

9. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    8-} crazy.

Don't tell me you're gonna back and forth with Voyager too?

is there like a webpage with the episodes of all 3 series arranged chronologically by stardate? What am I saying...this is the internet...OF COURSE their is.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I probably will with Voyager, yeah- I know there's less crossover for obvious reason, but it's launch is firmly anchored in DS9's run, and it will be more interesting froma Borg perspective to see how they pop up in VOY in regards to FC's events, which in turn factors (even if only slightly) into DS9 with Worf's absence and the Defiant, etc.

As for the order, I'm going by the listings on Memory-Alpha under the entries for each year, for, for example, the entry for 2369 covers TNG Season 6 & DS9 Season 1 (make sure you hit "show all" if it collapses on your browser).

I'm still debating how I'll tackle "These Are the Voyages..." as I think it'll be interesting to see it within context of The Pegasus, and sort of gives it the proper treatment of not really being a proper finale to ENT, but at the same time, it's a different series.

11. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    I prefer DS9 to TNG, VOY AND ENT. Wasn't this the first Trek series to do an arc that lasted the whole season, or in some cases most of the series?

and I still The Visitor is one of the best episodes of all Trek, not just DS9.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As far as I understand, yes it was the first Trek series to do so- one of the many interesting parallels between it and B5.

13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Not to hurt your ego but B5 was not the first series to feature serialization (soap operas) nor the first to feature story arcs (Hill Street Blues for example) :p

You're going to be dissapointed then. DS9 will only refer to First Contact once in it's entire run which is an one simple line: "the recent Borg attack" neither Worf nor the Defiant are absent in season 5.

Also believe it or not, you can easily watch Voyager without having seen Deep Space Nine. It works just as fine as watching Wrath of Khan without having seen Space Seed. All the things you need to know about the Marquis gets explained in the first episode of Voyager. :p

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I started chronological, might as well stay that way. Never know what parallels might arise.

Not the first for serialized storytelling, no, but one of the, if not the, first to be planned out entirely in advance in the structure of a novel for TV.

Regardless, I wasn't saying that as a B5-first, but rather simply "both shows had it".

15. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah...I have always had to raise an eyebrow at the whole "we had this all planned out"...oh really...you had it planned to have to change your lead after one season? You had it planned to go on hiatus and have syndication nightmares ruin your cohesion to the point that more then one season ended as though it was the series finale?

It's almost as believable as George telling us he had the Prequels planned in 1983...

vague notions are things all shows have at first...but they always take on lives of their own...and that goes right through to the recent Battlestar Galactica...planned throughout...HA!

Sorry...If something last longer then half a season, it will be altered in course.

16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Man I hated DS9 until a few years ago when Spike played them every morning. I can't believe that I stoped watching this show when it was new. Every season just gets better and better. The Dominin War is super bad ass.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There were accommodations in the execution to accommodate real life issues- he had a trap door for most cast members should they depart- which included Sinclair (though that was also simultaneous with the realization that it was too much to have a single main character have personal connections to both the Minbari and Shadow wars, thus needing an additional character). But otherwise, yes, it was pre-planned.

18. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I believe that shows can be planned out, I know a lot of non American TV series have been doing that for decades. However I'm pretty sure that along the way of writing that there are changes either due outside factors such as cancellation or simply because the characters, sub-plots etc. simply doesn't work when you write your grand plan in detail.

edit: Anyway when are you going to watch the Emissary, 2ndquest. :p

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This week, probably.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Or yesterday. ;)

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/e/ee/Borg_cube_destroys_the_Melbourne.jpg] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/6/66/Galaxy_class_docked_at_DS9.jpg] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/a/ab/Towedcardassianship.jpg]
    DS9 101/102: Emissary
    -Premise: On the edge of explored space, a new crew takes command of an abandoned space station and makes an incredible discovery that will change the galaxy.

-T2Q Comments: As a preface, I remember seeing brief previews of DS9 back in the day, before they revealed it was set on a space station, and how it gave the impression that the visuals we did see of the station were actually that of a ship's saucer section, and I came to the conclusion that it was set in a time period when the Federation was really beaten up by the Borg, so even the ships looked dirty, stripped down and industrial- ironically somewhat like people would later expect to happen with Voyager, though that never really came to pass. Still, I was very surprised at how wrong I was about the show's concept at the time.

Really smart idea of anchoring the introduction of the main character into Wolf 359, part of what was likely the most watched part of TNG at the point of development- I'm surprised they never used this concept for other main characters. Also, the only time we ever see an Ambassador-class in action, alas.

Explosion outside the window while he searches the rubble is the only effect to not quite work so well. The shaky handheld style here, combined with the fact that everyone is dirty and burned really adds a new sense of reality to things that we haven't really seen in the franchise so far- also indicative of filmmaking trends of shows to come like Galactica. And the dirt, well, the Federation is always shown to be so clean- even when they're on messy away missions, they usually just get some sand or dust on them. Here? It's burns and carbon and soot, grease and blood. Explosion of ship outside escape pod window is great, however.

When I first watched DS9, I remember finding the theme a little boring compared to the more triumphant marching of TNG's theme, but over time, I think it's become my favorite of the Trek themes, rivaled by the theme to First Contact. This introduction for this episode alsso wisely ommits the wormhole ending effect so as not to spoil it before it's introduced in the acual show. The actual visuals of showing off the station are appropriately slow and graceful to mirror the theme itself- though I much prefer the later season intros where the station is shown to be more active with ships coming and going and repair crews working on the exterior of the station ala Baylon 5's first and second season intros, though it's not so bad right now considering the state DS9 is in at this point and not yet fully active.

Very good idea to have the Enterprise there, not only as a passing of the torch from one show to the next, but also for simply a sense of scale to the station; always handy to have a T-1000 as your security offer; I love how the Wolf connection throws Picard off.

"AND a thief" [face_laugh]

Interesting multi=plane effect on the matte painting. I like Sisko's reaction to the holo-fountain stairs cause, yeah, that is kinda cool. Avery makes that Beach scene work surprisingly much better than it probably should have. Sisko's comment to Jake is kinda funny because it's sorta saying "i was just thinking how much you look like a girl".

Logical choice to have O'Brien here, given his past with the Cardassians. Miles farewell to Picard and the Enterprise done just right, ending with a great little transition from the opening of the TNG theme into the DS9 fanfare. Kind of a rough transition into the arrival of the Cardassian vessel, though.

Dig the look of the of Grande/Runabouts- sorta of like a shuttlecraft but cool looking. "Are you capable of communicating with me?" um, isn't that what they just did?.

Odo brings a welcome breath of sarcasm as a character. The ext

21. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    - You forgot to mention that there's a character named Dhukat in Babylon which sounds similar Dukat (although their roles are completely different) ;)

-I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the new uniforms (at some point Miles switches between the uniforms) which has a more workers feel to it. The TNG style uniform will still be used as the starship uniform.

- I always find it amusing that Nog starts out as thief, and ends up being a Starfleet lieutenant (spoilers tags in case 2ndQuest doesn't know)

- J.G. Hertzler makes his first Star Trek appearance in this episode, as the Vulcan captain, he'll be playing Martok later in this series (and he has several minor guest appearances in Enterprise IIRC) You can also see Rom on the background, and of course the talkative Morn sitting at the bar. :p

Anyway as for the first episode, I like it although it is a bit slow (like much of the first two seasons)

Indeed, and don't forget Dominion vs Borg debates are as speculative as pirates vs ninjas debates. :p

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I meant to comment on the uniforms witch but didn't notice them until the end for some reason. I do like them better- they also seem to avoid the problems of the TNG two-piece uniforms making every actor perform a "Picard manuever" whenever they stand up. ;)

And, yeah, I always loved Morn's look.

Also, I'll add the Dukat note, thanks.

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    The little factoids are cute...but I'm glad you're going to consciously avoid series compare/contrast/bash.

Reality is that it's become much too popular in these circles to decry DS9, as it's "hip" to claim fan loyalty to B5, a series that suffered perpetually throughout it's run from a lack of consistent viewership and sponsor support.

DS9 faired little better, as especially in it's final seasons, was pitched around like a a rag doll in syndication. Reality is, for as much as both shows are lauded now, most people didn't give either one the credit they were due at the time.

Playing the "intellectual property" and "who did it first" game is old. Reality is with a space station, there is only so many plot directions one can take...as BOTH shows in later seasons had to get off their stations more and more. This "stolen idea" stuff, merited or not, doesn't change what the actors did on screen, or how the stories they told were compelling.

(one credit I will make to DS9 that helps is be unique from B5, there actually was some story about the "guts" of the station...whereas B5 rarely focused on such things in it's macro-political plots. And where B5 was building a universe, DS9 crafted a legacy for the station itself while building on the established uni. I'm not making a preferential choice, only noting that these series are different and not "Star Trek" vs. "Non Star Trek" flavors of a single koolaid.)

24. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I recently found out that Patricia Tallman (Lyta Alexander on B5) was an occasional stunt double for Nana Visitor (and also Gates McFadden on TNG)

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    She also shows up in at least two TNG episodes- she's briefly seen as an Enterprise security officer who gets shot by the possesed Data/Troi/etc who are trying to take control of the ship via hostages in Ten Foreard, and later I believe she's in the episode where Picard is left on the ship during some kind of radiation cleansing (a wall of energy moving across the ship that he has to stay ahead of).