main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You Can Put Moby's Music in your movie -- for free!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by jbird69, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    On page 10 of the issue of Filmmaker Magazine(the one w/Steve Buscemi on the cover), there's an article about Moby. He is making 60 of his songs available for filmmakers to use on Moby.com. If you're making a non-profit movie, you can use them for free!!. If you plan on making a profit, there's a simple license to fill out to use it.

And in the article, Moby says: "I wouldn't deny any filmmaker the use of my music unless the content is egregiously unethical."

Wow! This is a MAJOR coup for indie filmmakers like us. I definitely plan on taking advantage of this.

2. CodySmith

CodySmith Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2007
    I know it's unlikely, but it would be awesome if more artist's started following his lead on this.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    This is really damn cool.

What you didn't point out is that for those of us trying to make money with our films, Moby's license fee goes to the Humane Society.

Cool!

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. Lord2

Lord2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2006
    Can I download them free too, or just use them?

EDIT: Found the answer on the website.

5. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Moby's a bad enough dude to rescue the president.

6. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Completely and utterly agree. I'll have to grab the whole batch somehow so I can listen to them on my hard drive in a playlist or something for inspiration... A couple things from studio albums, but dang, that's a LOT of unreleased stuff he's got on there for use.

7. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    I wonder if the quality will get better with there go ahead, cause if that stuff is at it's max quality, then I understand why most was never released.

I already am ordering some for my Luna movie. I think they actually send you the songs once your request has been approved, for most on there are not on the market and impossible to get.

You know, it's a good thing what he's doing, too bad more big artist dont help out the lil guys, jeeze, just imagine how much stuff aerosmith has that they never released and never will thats just sittin on a floor right now. Hmmmm.

8. SirWicketMcYubYub

SirWicketMcYubYub Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2006
    This is really awesome. However, I would use this sparingly. I might use this if the opportunity to create my own music proves to be proves to be fruitless or too difficult, which might be often since I'm not musically inclined in the least bit. I'd want to avoid using the same piece of music someone else might use in another film as much as possible.

9. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, "acts of violence" is a fairly broad term. I wonder where they draw the line.

10. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    Maybe they should have used the word "real" or "actual" before the above statements as I'm pretty sure they don't mean staged/fake acts of the kind that might appear in standard G to R rated movies.

11. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Heh, Moby's music becomes the new DotF. That's pretty cool though. Back when Rob Dougan's site was up, he said in the forums he didn't mind if people used his music for non-profit projects. Generally, if you're not making money or mass distributing, people shouldn't care. It's a form of free promotion for them.

-Vaportrail

12. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    Hard for it to be the DotF if you can't use it fo any actual, y'know, dueling.

Hm. Shame that <i>My Weakness</i> isn't on the list, that's one I would have been interested in using eventualy.

13. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Not that licensing has stopped anyone on this particular site before, but this is pretty cool. It would be nice if more artist's did the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.