main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters You Can Take the Farmboy Off The Farm... (Luke Skywalker Characterization)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by EmilieDarklighter, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkbva

bkbva Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2005
    If it makes you feel any better, I was in the same boat. I was cursing out(figuratively) B&N about it. I got an e-mail back from them saying UPS didn't work on the 31st, so that didn't count in the three days. At least I got mine on the 5th.

I'm about a third of the way through (talk about those "real-life" obligations, too), and I'm trying to decide what I think about it. I got really grossed out within the first thirty pages, but after that it's been fine. I think Stover's done a good job getting the characters right for that period.

2. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    You must be talking about what Shadowspawn does to his captives. That was pretty 'yuck'.

I wrote to B&N too, and their reply about their not sending it out till the 30th was: 'All pre-ordered items are given release dates by the suppliers. This is the date the product is scheduled to start the fulfillment process, not the date the item is delivered.' Which sounds like nonsense to me. They could ship it several days before, and the buyer still wouldn't receive it before the release date. They didn't mention UPS being off the 31st. But I'm pretty sure gabri_jade said she ordered it from amazon, and they shipped it the 29h, and she got it the 31st. And I thought amazon always used UPS, too.

Oh, well, I just won't buy anything from them anymore. We have another bookstore in town - Hastings - that discounts new releases at least 30%.

Speaking of new releases, has anyone here seen the coming cover for Outcast? (I know few, if any, of you will be buying it!). Someone complained on the sw.com boards about Luke looking too young, and here was Sue Rostoni's reply:

Probably so -- we aged him some, but with the two-color treatment it was difficult -- adding wrinkles and lines would have made his face look like a Sharpe; one of those wrinkley dogs.

Consider it more as Luke's essence -- ageless.

And she said this about the color:

Right -- I was "wowed" by the MINDOR and BLOOD OATH covers... this one is just different. Personally, I'm not a fan of orange/yellow... but with nine books, we had to start somewhere. I'm hoping the foil and embossing will give it a punch.

Now, isn't she part of the team that approves these covers? She did say she liked the story, but she says that about all the books, and I have to heartily disagree there.

I think they should've used blue or green for Luke (for his eyes or his lightsaber), and I think he looks too young, too. And it's hard to tell much about Ben's pic on the back.

3. bkbva

bkbva Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2005
    Well, I didn't let it bother me too much. I might have read it over the previous weekend it it had arrived that Friday, but I'm so ambivalent these days it may not have mattered. It was more that I acutally paid for shipping this time rather than fill out a $25 order for free shipping (I had a really good coupon so it was worth it).

Yes, and yes, I won't be buying it. I hope I stick to my guns on that. I despise where the plot is going (never mind where it's been), so I can't imagine I'd buy it. I'm wishy-washy on the looking too young part. So many of the recent covers were so ugly, that I think I'm happy with a decent looking cover, even if the age is off. Although, that color definitely gives me a headache. At least it won't be on my bookshelf.

Of course she liked the story -- she authorized it, didn't she?

4. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007

Jedi-2B posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Speaking of new releases, has anyone here seen the coming cover for Outcast? (I know few, if any, of you will be buying it!).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll buy it. As long as Luke's in it I'm prepared to sell my soul and buy my books, simply because I need to know what happens...
    Honestly I've never cared much what happened to him in most Bantam books either, except for Mara and a few exceptions so I can't agree that Del Ray is worse. In most books I find something good and something bad, far too much bad always o_O, but I'll stay with Luke to the bitter end...

The cover - had to check that out - yuk! :( But NJO was worse. I think...
    And Luke looks young, yes. On the other hand, bacta, you know, bacta...:p

I'm pretty intrigued about the flap text though: "may bring his quest - and life as he knows it - to a sudden end". That could open up for pretty much everything...[face_thinking]

5. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    I had a 40% off coupon that I used, and then I also ordered the 2009 wall calendar, so I could get free shipping. Of course, it was a week into January until I got the calendar, and January is a 'Luke' month!

Ah, so I'm not the only one here who will stick with the books, as long as Luke is breathing. I agree that more than a few of the Bantam books were real losers.

And I usually don't get too worried about what the flap text says. They tend to make everything overly dramatic. Then again, I'm guessing this series will set up whatever happens to the Jedi Order to bring them to the point they are in the Legacy comics (which I still haven't started reading yet.)

6. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I did finally get my copy at the end of last week and am four chapters in (had a busy weekend). I'm doing a chapter-by-chapter review over on LJ if you're interested. The first one can be found here. Hopefully I can get through the next five chapters and have another review up within the next day.

7. kataja

May 4, 2007

LOL I haven't started to read Legacy yet either. Im my case I guess that's because I'm still a bit depressed that Luke was robbed of his role as 'The Grand Redeamer of the Galaxy', not once (by George Lucas turning Anakin to the Chosen one) but twice since Legacy somehow makes all the sufferings so far meaningless... I think it goes against my idea of a story: it should simply end at some point, and a story like Star Wars should end with the victory of light...

And to me Luke is this ultimate Champion of Light. With all his faults and shortcomings; they only makes him more inetersting as such. And despite me being a huge Mara fan, even her death could give meaning in terms that now Luke has to fight on alone; it makes him more tragic, but as he never gives up it still pleases my melodramatic heart. Yet, with Legacy and the dark rising again, and again and again, it becomes a bit too much Real Life to my taste...
    Even Lord of The Rings ends, ok, with a statement that dark will rise again, but at least with the certainty that it has been overthrown in this form, that the heroe's struggles were worth it...

Yet, reading som of Sue Rostoni's comments (sorry, lost the link) I fear we won't leave FotJ at the point of Legacy comics yet. She comments that the lifetime in GFFA is around 100 so Big Three still have about 30 years to go... And even then FotJ starts around 43 ABY, while Legacy's starting 130 ABY. Even with added 40 years for Luke and Leia we would only get to 70/80 ABY...

8. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    I agree with you totally about being disappointed that Luke's heroicism and sacrifice thru the years seems to have been for naught. If peace ruled for a thousand generations before Palpatine, then how come, after all Luke's bravery and hard work, there's a war or evil despot every few years? While I'm glad the franchise didn't die off after the movies, I don't like seeing Luke's legacy taking such a beating.

And I didn't mean that FotJ would lead right up to Legacy. I know there will still be a big gap in years. I just was surmising that something would happen in the series that would put the gears in motion for the eventual return of the Empire and the return of the Sith. Such as Jaina marrying Jag, to begin the Fel dynasty? And Luke's Jedi descendants having to compete with the Force-strong Fel descendants?

I'll be sure to check out your LSatSoM reviews, BF. Sounds interesting!

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Finally got to start reading Mindor. I know zilch about this period in Luke's life, so it's been really interesting so far. :)

Speaking of Legacy comics & Luke, I'm torn. I'd like to know how we get from Luke's Order to Kol Skywalker's Order, but I cringe at the thought of Del Rey playing anywhere near Dark Horse's sandbox. Everything in the comics indicates that the galaxy was in a relative state of peace for a time before Legacy began. Hopefully, Luke will get to see some of that in his lifetime.

10. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    That's good to hear, and I hope Luke is still around to see a long peace, too.

I really need to add 'Reading Legacy comics' to my goals for 2009. LOL!

11. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I don't think you'd regret it. :cool:

I went back and found the quote from the introduction in the first Legacy book:
    "As this era began, Luke Skywalker had unified the Jedi order into a cohesive group of powerful Jedi Knights. It was a time of relative peace, yet darkness approached on the horizon. Now, Skywalker's descendants face new and resurgent threats to the galaxy, and to the balance of the Force."

We don't SEE that peace at first, the story starts with the Sith attacking the Jedi on Ossus, but as the story is progressing we're learning more about that time period and seeing flashbacks to what life was like before all hell broke loose. You probably already know this since you've got the icon ;), but Luke is a recurring character in the comics and I love the way he's written. :D

But yeah, we have the hope for a "cohesive group of powerful Jedi Knights" in the future if the novelists cooperate with Dark Horse's continuity, which they have done so far.

12. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Heck, I not only have the icon, I've got all the comics (up thru #30). LOL! Now isn't that sad? I read the first few (and a couple scenes with Luke and Mara). Then I kinda was waiting until I had a bunch, because I hate waiting a month or more in between issues. Then I got sidetracked by other projects, and they just kept stacking up. So just as soon as I finish my WIP fic, I WILL start again from the beginning.

And it is great to know that Luke will be around long enough to regroup the Jedi and have peace. They must get rid of Daala somehow. I'd forgotten reading that passage from the first comic. Thanks, Trace!

13. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks for your interest. The second part (chapters 5-9) is up over here. Again, the first of the four reviews is here.

14. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Whoa! Suddenly my interest in reading the Legacy comics went up some 100%!

Hey, that's great! And a good way to go through the book again since I don't have the time now to actually re-read it.

15. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    They do a very nice job with him. I don't want to mislead you - he's been in 3 scenes in 30 issues, so he's not around a lot, but it's always a great scene when he shows up. And he looks really good. [face_mischief]

I just got to that gross part y'all were talking about in Mindor. Dude. That's messed up.

16. kataja

May 4, 2007

I have to agree he does! :p Thanks for pointing this out!

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I just thought I'd mention for the folks who don't mind seeing Luke with someone other than Mara (and this is one of the few threads where he's NOT attached to her at the hip) I have a little story. right here.

I hope that there's a new 'official' topic soon! If not, I have an idea!

Luke is so much more than either and old (mistreated, misdirectred, mis-anything) Jedi :p or a young farmboy!

What's he like as a 'daddy'? (if your fan fic 'swings' that way) or as an uncle? What is he like around children when he is at any stage of his life? Either as a parent or even a fellow youngling?

I'm finding (because of that dratted diary challenge that sucks away any scrap of free time I have! [face_laugh]) that Luke is very rich when it comes to children - balancing both the idea of parent and teacher...

How about you?

18. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
  19. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks for the links, BF. Enjoyed reading them.

Has anyone else read the new Scholastic book, Rebel Force: Target? I know it's aimed at a younger audience, but I liked it. It starts just a couple weeks after the Battle of Yavin, and everyone is exactly in character as they were in A New Hope. Han and Leia have some lively bickerings, and Luke alternates between lovable awkwardness, indecisiveness, boldness, natural-born Jedi reflexes, and a desire to impress Leia. He struggles throughout the book to capture any semblance of skill using the Force.

Now I just have to track down the second book in the series.

20. kataja

May 4, 2007

Thanks! That was really interesting - and reminds me why I have to reread that book; I read it far two quickly first time!

No, I saw it in a weblink but haven't seen it in my bookshop so far. Maybe I should just order it from the net? Thanks for poiting it out. I think it's so cool if they give us more early-Luke. I've adored the Empire and Rebellion cartoons (or ahem, some of them) just for giving me glipses from that time.

21. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    No, I saw it in a weblink but haven't seen it in my bookshop so far. Maybe I should just order it from the net?

I believe the second book in the series (Hostage) is already out, too, so you could get two at a time. I couldn't find Target at my usual haunts, so got it from Amazon when I was ordered a couple other things anyway. But I haven't checked at my local B&N yet. (Still miffed at them for shipping my Mindor book so late. LOL!)

22. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I have access to a very reliable fantasy bookshop in central Copenhagen that usually comes up with titles even before the release date; however is doesn't seem to have the Rebel Force books. Fortunately I found them on the net. Really looking forward to reading these!

At the moment I'm chewing through The New Rebellion without being able to make up my mind what I think. On one hand I think it's an ok book; nothing too fancy but nothing grouse either; the characters (pretty) much in place. On the other hand I get so irritated by the obvious lack of timeline when this book is written. Luke is still sighing after Callista, after - what? - five years!?! I understand the author want some references to what has been happening to Luke earlier, yet this seems exaggurated. I wonder if the timeline was even constructed by the time this book was released (1996)?

23. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Ah, The New Rebellion. Well, there have been worse books. And much better books. Nothing gross? Then you haven't gotten to the part yet where ... I won't spoil it for you. :p At least Mara does show up eventually. Though I wouldn't say she distracts Luke from sighing over Callista. I do remember wondering why I hadn't heard of this Brakiss as being a student at the Academy.

Let us know how you like the Rebel Force books when you get them.

24. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Michele, you wouldn't at all be referring to those swamp bubbles on Msst, would you? :p Acidity FTL!

He pretty much gets beat up left and right in that book. He doesn't do too well. [face_beatup]

I never realized TNR was set so far after CotJ. Holy crap. :oops: Then again, I guess I never had much reason to give it any thought. If it makes it any more believable, as it were, we can pretend it's only been four years of pining since technically Planet of Twilight is closer to 13 years ABY. :p

25. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Actually, I was thinking of when that big whatever-it-was animal eats him whole. [face_beatup] [face_sick]

Maybe TNR was just written soon after PoT, and the author had no concept of getting over a person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.