main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters You Can Take the Farmboy Off The Farm... (Luke Skywalker Characterization)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by EmilieDarklighter, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    *blinks*

[face_plain]

You're joking, right? That's like asking Charlie if he'd like to see the Chocolate Factory.

DUUUUUUUUUUH! [face_laugh]

2. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Okay, Pariah, this is just for you then!

Well, reading back over this thread a little more carefully, I see that it's preferred to just post links here, so I'll erase this and do that!

Voyeurs

3. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    *spits drink all over keyboard*

OMG, Kay...[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

You are Teh Queen of Lukie Laughs. *Ewok bows*

4. kayladie97

Jun 6, 2003
    [face_blush] Why thank you, Pariah! I do try. :D

And I made it into your sig! [face_dancing]

Er, sorry about the keyboard, though... :p

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    :D [face_love] :D [face_love]

I love that vig, Kay!! I'd read it at the other site, too. [face_blush]

You just made my whole day! [:D]

(edits: It's too early to spell.....)

6. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_laugh]

That's a great vig, kayladie97.

I'm also very interested to see what people come up with for this challenge. It's a great topic, Pariah!

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    *grins stupidly* Now that was awesome! :eek: Escapism at its best, Kay!!! [face_laugh] There is another Skywalker isn't there? :eek:[face_blush][face_love][face_love] You always remind me of that. :D

8. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    LOL, rhonderoo. We have to remind the Anakin fangirls that there is hope indeed--Anakin might have been burned, but he did a fabulous job of passing down the hotness. ;)

9. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Okay, guys, new discussion topic. *racks brain* (Forgive me if I steal from the Obi-wan thread. They have good topics.) ;)

How does Luke relate with children? Most of us assume that he is marvellous with them and wants a huge family...but really, he hasn't been around them all that much, and considering his family history he mighth have a few issues with having his own. What's your take?

10. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Well, he's UNCLE LUKE. And having an almost 6 year experience as an Aunt, I know how it is with nieces and nephews. They love to get spoiled. I could see Luke being the type to spoil kids a lot. Especially when Jaina and Jacen and Anakin were younger. I also think he would talk calmly to them - even if he's upset.

And he'd probably melt into a puddle of "I'll buy him/her anything" if they used what is known as the sad puppy dog eyes. But for the GFFA, I think it'd be sad wookiee eyes. ;)

Does that sound right?

11. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Yes, I see Luke reacting that way. But I also see him as taking his responsbilities as an uncle very seriously, especially when it came to matters of the Force. I don't think he'd tolerate much nonsense in that arena.

Luke...in an arena... sweaty and bare-chested.

Ooops. Sorry about that. [face_blush]

12. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Apology accepted..........as long as you write a vig about it. [face_mischief] ;)

I'm sorry - what was the question? 8-}

Oh right. [face_blush] I'd agree that Luke would probably handle children very well. As far as having his own, he was the one in Balance Point who wanted a baby and, IIRC, even thinks at one point that he had given up hope. We had a discussion once in the MJSFC thread about whether he had 'given up' because of the Vong disease or because he and Mara had been unsuccesful in attempts to conceive in the six years that they were married before the NJO. I doubt we'll ever know the answer, or if it's even a valid question, but if the latter is true, then it could make Ben's conception one of those will-of-the-Force type things. But that's a whole different subject, I guess.

I've never been fond of the I-don't-want-kids-because-my-daddy-was-a-Sith-lord mentality. I mean, it's not like the dark side is a communicable or hereditary disease, LOL; it's a choice. But those are just my thoughts. Leia seemed to struggle with it quite a bit in the EU and since we only see Luke married in one book before the NJO...... :rolleyes:

[edit] Look at all the little baby Luke icons in a row. [face_love]

13. kayladie97

Jun 6, 2003
    All stuff with the Force aside, I think Luke would want to be a father partly because he missed out on having his father around when he was growing up. And I know some people don't buy into this, but being the last with the Skywalker name, I'd think he'd want to try and pass that on. (I know from personal experience that some men think this way...my nephew is the only one who'll pass on my maiden name, and my son will be the only one to pass on his father's name.)

As far as how he deals with children, well, I can definitely see him being the indulgent uncle (except when it comes to the Force). But I can see him babysitting and letting the twins and Anakin stay up way past their bedtimes because they wheedled and begged and he gave in.

It's different with your own, though! I spoiled my nephew terribly (I'm his favorite aunt! ;) ) but my poor son gets cut NO slack. :p Hey, I have to live with him!

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Yes, I think Luke had a deep desire to be a father, but he would not allow that to come between him and Mara. Did he want to be a father? Yes, I think he did. Did he want to let that lack keep him and Mara from being happy? No.

I also think he'd be indulgent. I'm my nephews favorite aunt (I have 10!). For the older one, I'm the aunt he can tell about getting drunk and being a naughty boy when he was on leave from Iraq. :p FOr the younger ones, I am the aunt they can be a little wild around. What can I say? They can be wonderful little savages!

I think Luke has the advantage of genuinely LIKING children. Some adults don't, he does. I don't think his heritage would dissuade him from having children. In fact, I think it would be a reason to have them, because he very firmly separated Anakin and Vader in his mind. They were two separate people. He was the son of Anakin and he had defeated Vader by resurrecting Anakin.

He would see children as a way to perpetuate the good that had been inside Anakin Skywalker - not the evil that had been in Vader.

Anyway, my 1/2 credits worth! :D

15. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003

That's a really good point... [face_thinking] Never thought of it like that.

I can see Luke having some initial hesitancies about fatherhood, given that he had no father-figure that he was particularly close to when he was growing up. That leaves him without a 'template', so to speak. But it wouldn't be something that would deter him from wanting kids. The whole Vader thing? Maybe when he was younger, it might have been at the back of his mind, but never as strong an issue as it was for Leia. I think he talks about it in one of the books in the Black Fleet Crisis series. It?s been ages since I read it, but doesn?t he say something like there?s always the possibility that the situation with Vader could occur again? Strength in the Force is a mixed heritage, after all. By the time he?d married Mara, though, I think he would have come to realise that the blessings far outweigh the risks.

Luke seems to keep those sorts of musings very quiet, though, so it?s hard to say...

All right, I'm done rambling. ;)

16. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Whoa, look at all the awesome conversation-like stuff. That's a good thing. Go with that. ;)

Hey, lookie lookie...

Hi, you are getting this message because I thought it would be fun to have the various threads that are related to The Saga in Resource ?sponsor? the Saga Summer Fan Fiction awards. In your case, this means the Luke Skywalker characterization thread. If you want, you can PM me a write up (preferably a humorous one) about why people should visit your thread, and they will be periodically posted throughout the awards ceremony. Please send your PMs to me, not to the Awards sock as it is already full of excerpts.

I look forward to hearing from you and to seeing you at the awards.

-JediJainaSoloFel
    Summer Awards Volunteer
    The Saga

Anybody wanna volunteer? I'm not a humor author...

17. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    ask her if you can do one for the SJRS as well. the thread fell to at least page 2 by now.

18. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    The SJRS isn't a purely-Saga organization. It's more like Beyond. ;)

19. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    You know, I've never really thought Luke wanted a passle of kids. His focus in all the books I've read has been rebuilding the Jedi Order. He's great with his neice & nephews and very protective of them, but I've never seen an indication that he wished for a child of his own. Apparently the NJO books prove me wrong, but I never got very far into that series.

That said, Luke seems like the type of person that's really good with kids. Patient, gentle, but there's an underlying strength that most kids would pick up on and they wouldn't test thier limits too far. They would look up to him because he's a Jedi and a war hero, but they'd grow to adore him because even with as busy as he is I think he'd always take time out of his work to spend time with them. He'd truly listen to what they had to say, and answer thier questions to the best of his ability rather than talking down to them as those of us who aren't so great with kids sometimes do.

20. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999

We're thinking about doing a group project in the Anakin/Vader character discussion thread.

We could do something here along the lines of the Dating Game where Luke "interviews" members of the thread according to how they write him. [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

21. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
  22. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    IIRC, He does have a conversation with Leia in Truce at Bakura about how he hopes she and Han will have kids because he doesn't think he ever will. :confused: I'm not 100% on that one.

In Darksaber it is mentioned that he and *shudder* Callista had "spoken of" having children if they were to "get married" but I got the impression it was mainly from her, because Luke as the primo Jedi Master, must have a brood of Force-strong children. It is said that Luke "didn't care" that he just "wanted her".

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Hi, you are getting this message because I thought it would be fun to have the various threads that are related to The Saga in Resource ?sponsor? the Saga Summer Fan Fiction awards. In your case, this means the Luke Skywalker characterization thread. If you want, you can PM me a write up (preferably a humorous one) about why people should visit your thread, and they will be periodically posted throughout the awards ceremony. Please send your PMs to me, not to the Awards sock as it is already full of excerpts.

I look forward to hearing from you and to seeing you at the awards.

-JediJainaSoloFel
    Summer Awards Volunteer
    The Saga

Is anyone doing this? If not, roo and I will take a stab at it: "Visit the Luke Skywalker Characterization thread - Win A Date With Luke Skywalker!"....or something like that. :D [face_laugh]

24. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    =D= Great minds think alike. My thoughts exactly. I've always been of the mind (being a HUGE Luke/Anakin/Vader fangirl) that when Luke looks at Ben, he sees some of his father in him. :)

25. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    re: challenge ...

... I can make him dark, can't I? o_O *is Elli and must ask questions like this* Because, um, it's what I do. :p

EDIT: I can spell, dammit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.