main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You find a wallet on the sidewalk...

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Lobot_Omy, Mar 10, 2002.

?

You find a wallet on the sidewalk...

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. You take it to a police station and report it missing.

4.7%
  2. You look through it for a phone number and call up the owner.

66.8%
  3. You take out all the cash and credit cards and go on a shopping spree.

13.6%
  4. You leave it on the sidewalk as it is.

6.0%
  5. You do something else... (What is it?)

8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    There's actually a psychology lecturer called Robert Walletgone at my uni!

2. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Other... take the money, but forget the credit cards, that'll get you arrested.

3. Argarathoo

Argarathoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    I would never take it to the cops. I don't do to the cop shop if I don't have to.

4. TadjiStation

TadjiStation Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Funny, I found the contents of a wallet a few months back (not the wallet itself), including $52, at a subway station in NYC. Since I live here, and I'm actually an honest guy, I turned it in to the station attendant, even though if I had the time, I would have tried to call the woman it belonged to. I sure hope she got her money back...

;)

5. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I'd go to the cops and hope that no one clames the money within thirty days.. like on Barney Miller.

6. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    this happend to me once.
    me and some friends found a bag.
    we looked through it and we found a agenda with a couple of phonenumbers, and we just kept on calling untill we had the owner.
    she came to claim here bag the same day and we got our reward :D

7. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Hmm, I would return the wallet and credit cards. BUT, I would take out all cash and keep it for myself. It would be my reward for doing the honest thing and going out of my way to return the money.

Hell, I'm an honest guy, so I would return the wallet. But through the mail, I don't want some dude accusing me to my face of stealing the cash. i mean, the nerve! Throwing accusations around like that.

But I would keep the cash.

8. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Deffinitely keep the cash. Credit cards can be traced. ;)

9. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    damn you criminals ;)

10. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I'd call the person up. It would be much nicer to explain the circumstances in which it was lost and all, so that the person would be more careful about it in future.

11. TheEccentricJedi

TheEccentricJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2002
    I did find a wallet once - but there was no phone number so I took it to the Police station.

But boy - I hope my wallet never falls into the hands of some of you guys... sheesh... ;) LOL. it's not as if there's much money in there to steal mind you. :D

-Little Jedi-
    MTFBWY

12. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Me and three friends were walking down the street one day and we found 200 dollars on the sidewalk by a lightpost. Very nice.
    Coarse it aws a lot of money and somebody probably would've wanted it real bad. It wasn't in a wallet, so we couldn't call anybody. So we decided to wait there for an hour and see if anybody came looking for it.
    Well nobody did. So then the question came about. What do we do with it?
    Three of us agreed to split the money equal ways. But one of our friends was a goody gody and said we should give it to the cops. She was the one who found the money so it was ultimately up to her.
    We tried explaining to her how utterly stupid that was. None of trusted cops and wouldn't put it past them to just keep the money. We said that if she didn't want to keep it that that was fine too and she should just donate it to a charity. I mean around here nobdy would carry that kinda money on them besides a two-bit drug dealer anyway.
    She wouldn't hear of it and she reported the money to the cops >_<
    Sure we thought she was stupid. I mean, not only did it not go to the original owner or a good cause, but finders weren't even keepers. But in the end we were no more poor than before and we forgot about it.
    Long story short, if it was a wallet, we'd have tried tracking down the owner.

13. DarthSplinter

DarthSplinter Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    If you find it please give it back,
    I lost mine last week(no not my mind)with credit cards et al. in a foreign country where I had no access to a bank or any money but thankfully someone had found it and rang me up and I had it back in a couple of days I offered money as a reward but they wouldn't take it so, err so what? I dunno, just try and give it back. Also I believe that in alot of places if you do find something and take it to the police if it isn't claimed after a certain period of time I think you are entitled to it, might be only certain places though.

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I lost my wallet two days ago. No money or credit cards, but all my ID. So, if you find a wallet, it's mine. :p ;)

15. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    finders keepers... i've lost my wallet before, i never got it back! plus if i tried to give it back, they would probably say there was more money in it and accuse me of stealing it... i'm greedy so yeah, i'd just take the cash...

16. Another.Sky.Walk.er..

Another.Sky.Walk.er.. Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2000
    I would call the owner if I found a number.

There was a time a few years ago that a found a hundred dollar bill on the ground at a grocery store and I picked it up and kept on walking. I saw it as the Will of the Force since I was almost broke. ;)

17. Malazaf

Malazaf Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Mine own.,...

18. carl713

carl713 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    Do something else...

Well...

First off, I would inspect the wallet...

Looking to see if this person was a, how you say, 'cool' person(basied off from all sorts of different things), or not.

If they are a 'trendy' kid, I'll take the cash...but not any Credit Cards(they can be traced), and maybe the wallet itself, just for the weird story...

19. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    id spend the money but not the cards

20. _Zap_

_Zap_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    the 2nd one

21. jedijedi

jedijedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    I give it to the police and hope it finds its owner. If not, I'll donate the contents to a charity or something. I know I wouldn't ever want to let my money into the wrong hands... ;)

-jediidej-

22. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    This happened to me several years ago...

I went to the guy's house & gave it to his wife. She took my name & address. Turns out he owned a homemade chocolate shop. He stopped by my house the next day with a ton of candy as a reward.

mmmmmmm...free chocolate :)

23. triggerfinger

triggerfinger Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    most of you say you would be honest and give it back. in real life you wouldnt.

24. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    I'd look through for a phone number. Taking other peoples money is just wrong. I wouldn't even do it if I needed the money.

25. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    This question reminds me of Edward Scissorhands...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.