main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "You fought in the clone wars?"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Simply Flawless, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Simply Flawless

Simply Flawless Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2015
    I would like to ask those people who saw ANH in theaters what they thought the clone wars was? Like what did you imagine that conflict was like?
    Also in general a question to anyone who saw the original trilogy before the prequels came out what did you imagine about the lore of Star Wars established in those movies? What did you think the Jedi order was like before it was destroyed? What did you think of the backstory to characters like Vader, the emperor, Yoda, obi wan, etc? Basically in your imagination how did you imagine the Star Wars galaxy before the setting of the original trilogy?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I never had a clear picture of any of that, to be honest. I just hoped that I'd get to see it someday.

3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    - I imagined the Jedi had some sort of HQ where they lived and studied the Force.

- I imagined the Stormtroopers were once good guys who somehow became evil. I blamed the Force on that one.

- I imagined Yoda was Obi-Wan's master.

- Palpatine was a demon born of the Force.

- Anakin/Vader was basically his head on a mechanical body.

4. hollywooddove

hollywooddove Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2015
    I was very young, so I thought, what the hell is a clone. Then I did some asking around, and I wondered what the war would have been like. Was it a battle where people were being cloned and fighting themselves? I just didn't know.
    But I didn't think too much about it because it just had cool ring to it.

When the prequels mentioned the clone wars, I was like, yeah... I remember that from the book back in the day.
    (Yes, back then, we did not have the VCR, so if we wanted to relive the experience, we bought a book -- upon which we said, I don't remember this Biggs in the beginning. The novel actually had photos of those deleted scenes.)

The battle with Vader, I saw something in my mind with a man clinging to the cliff of an erupting volcano and the lava rolling down over him, causing him to loose his grip and fall in to darkness. As for the reason why Vader would turn to evil, I never really dwelled too much on that. I simply thought, well, he tampered with the dark side and liked it, and was good at it, and it was maybe like a drug to him. I certainly did not envision anything as sappy as what we got in the prequel.

The Jedi knights, I did not see as such a large part of the Republic. I thought they were probably a weird little sect all of their own, and were asked to intervene at times because the could influence minds and such. I would think the ability to choke your enemy in a fight while hiding behind a bunker would be pretty cool. But I guess Jedi don't fight that way.

All in all, I did not see Vader to be much more than an ordinary man, who had turned to evil. Remember, in ANH, we all believed Vader had murdered Obi's friend, not that the friend had became Vader.

5. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    I thought the Clone Wars would stem from an external threat to the Old Republic, not from a civil war manipulated by Palpatine.

I envisoned the Jedi as a less organised and hierachical institution. Probably because there is no such things in the OT, where everything is less informal, with Ben and Yoda being as much friends to Luke as they are his teachers.

Thought the Emperor would be more ambiguous and not purely evil from the beginning.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Interesting question. Little girl me thought the term sounded cool and did not think much else of it, outside of wanting to see Obi-Wan fighting in this war using this force and his lightsaber.

7. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I first saw the films on TV and VHS as a child and was a fan of SW for years before the prequels. I wasn't born yet when they were in theaters. But, I never thought much of the Clone Wars as mentioned by Luke in ANH. I thought it was simply a throwaway line just to give some added warrior mystique to Obi-Wan. I never thought we would one day see them in hypothetical prequels. I imagined the extinct Jedi as being like Obi-Wan, but they didn't wear Jedi robes as we now know them. I thought Obi-Wan wore what he did because he was in the desert, as numerous Mos Eisley denizens and even Owen Lars dressed similarly. I thought they dressed like Luke did in ROTJ. I thought Yoda was Obi-Wan's direct master. I thought Jabba the Hutt was always as sinister as he seems in ROTJ without a lighter side to his personality as we later saw in the SE. I also thought the Emperor was wearing goggles in the ESB hologram scene, which is why he looked different from ROTJ. I also didn't know about the Sith. I thought Vader was just a good Jedi gone bad, with the Emperor being someone who was similar to a Jedi but quite different... a dark wizard that managed to become Emperor. The word Sith wasn't something I knew about until I read it on the packaging for the toys in the mid '90s.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Most of us had assumed that the Jedi and the Republic had fought a bunch of rogue clone warriors over a period of years, possibly lead by the Sith.

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Among the Clouds: Very interesting thoughts about Jedi clothing! I had similar thoughts about Luke's ROTJ outfit, actually. It seemed to me like he'd chosen those particular clothes because he was now a Jedi.
    I was pleased to see Anakin wearing all black in ROTS, because it connected him to Luke's look.

Come to think of it, I was surprised to see the Jedi Order so vast and organized, with a temple and a council. It made sense, of course, but the thought had just never occurred to me.
    I also never imagined that Yoda and Obi-Wan would be such prominent members of the order.

10. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    i remember when i first heard of this...it was very exciting and really sparked my imagination...i had no idea the stormtroopers were the original clones and i thought it was a war between clones and normal humans...never thought it was against droids or seperatist ...one thing the movies and show did do that surpassed my imagination of it was the battle sequences...they were so epic and awesome...true galactic warfare!

11. bluecadet3

bluecadet3 Jedi Knight

Apr 5, 2013
    I saw the Originals for the first time a few years before the Special Editions came out, so as far as the the Clone Wars are considered, I honestly never thought much of them. I just assumed it was some war fought in the past. The interesting thing is, though, I didn't think the Jedi were involved in it to a large degree, as we eventually found out they were, given Luke's surprise that Ben had fought in the war. I also didn't assume they were as important to the entire saga as they ended up being.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I never really thought much about the backstory, I just thought it sounded cool. I never tried to map it out or form any origin stories.

I guess I imagined the Clone Wars as lasting much longer than they actually did, perhaps decades. I thought there would be multiple wars, sorta rapid fire, hence Wars, plural. I definitely thought clones would be used as fodder by both or all sides. The droids work too, though.

I didn't think much about the Jedi Order, or that there even was an actual order as organized as in the PT. I thought they were more like what we see in the OT, loose, unorganized, a sorta scattered association of hermits and old wizards. I did imagine they usually only gathered in pairs, master and apprentice. We sorta got that feel in TPM, I thought, if only for a moment. I do like the way the Order is set up in the PT, though.

As for Vader's backstory, I thought he was just a terminator of Jedi, and by the time of ANH he had no more Jedi to terminate, so he's just kinda there. Never thought much about Anakin Skywalker.

Never thought much about Yoda.

Thought of Obi-Wan as a General, a guy standing on the bridge of a ship or something, serving directly under Bail Organa. I thought of Bail Organa as some sort of Baron, Lord or whatever, and Obi-Wan his Knight.

I thought the Empire was around much longer than it was, many more decades, and that it started as its own separate faction, and made itself into a Galactic Empire through conquest in the Clone Wars.

13. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I thought the Clones were enemies of the Jedi when I first hear, well in the end it turned up that way though...

Sarge likes this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    when i was a little kid i thought he was saying "Colon Wars" Like Colonial. :p

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No idea what I thought happened. Just beginnings of ideas of ROTS.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought that the Clone Wars probably had something to do with the rise of the Empire but had no specifics in mind, and I also thought the clones fought against the Jedi from the outset.

Beyond that I had no preconceptions.

Sarge likes this.
  17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    one other thing, prior to the PT i read that Lando was originally going to be a clone in an early TESB script. So i figured there were probably lots of clones around, not just how it turned out to be.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I also thought it was clones vs Jedi, like many other posters have said. In my head, there were evil overlords building clone armies to overthrow the Republic, and they would clone the best warriors they had access to, including captured Jedi.

As for the Jedi, I thought they'd be more like medieval knights and less like oriental monks.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Prior to the PT, everybody was going to be a clone.

Obi-One Kenobi was a clone of Obi-Two Kenobi.

Palpatine and Sidious.

Laandoo Calrissian.

Haan Solo.

Booba Fett*

*Oh hell.

20. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I thought the Clone Wars was everyone in the galaxy vs clones of themselves.

21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I though the Clone Wars was a much smaller conflict that it became. An attack by rogue clones, Mandalorain Supercommandos and others against the Jedi and Republic forces. Obi-Wan served Bail Organa

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Luke was surprised that Ben fought in the war, but that's before he knew he was a Jedi. Ben then smirks and responds, "Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight," as if such a thing was naturally implied by his participation in the war. So the Jedi were clearly always a large part of it.

Well, he did serve Bail Organa. ;)

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I thought the clones were the villains, as if just the Jedi were fighting against them.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Zahn thought the same:

"I should have thought that obvious. Joruus C'baoth - note the telltale mispronunciation of the name Jorus - is a clone."
    Pellaeon stared at him. "A clone?"
    "Certainly," Thrawn said. "Created from a tissue sample, probably sometime just before the real C'baoth's death."
    "Early in the war, in other words," Pellaeon said, swallowing hard. The early clones - or at least those the fleet had faced - had been highly unstable, both mentally and emotionally. Sometimes spectacularly so...
    "And you deliberately brought this thing aboard my ship?" he demanded.

That said, back in 1978, Star Wars Poster Monthly portrayed present-day stormtroopers as clones:
    http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post4-03.jpg

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I need to read that trilogy again, it must be 20 years since I last read them.

Great find on the SW poster monthly too.