main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ~*You Get Me*~- - now COMPLETE!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by val solo, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. val solo

val solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2000
    Title: ~* YOU GET ME *~
    Time Period: NJO--Post Traitor
    Main Characters: Jacen /Tahiri
    Genre: Mush, drama, angst and smidgeon of humor here and there! :)

Enjoy!!! :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chapter 1?

Jacen was back from the dead it seemed. Tahiri had felt his death on board the stolen Yuuzhan Vong ship all those months ago just like all of the other Jedi had including Jacen?s own twin sister. But now, he had returned and the whole station was buzzing with excitement.

Tahiri fought back the flash of anger she felt as the thought entered her mind for the millionth time since Myrkr. Why did Anakin have to die? And now knowing Jacen was still alive the wound was ripped back open. Why couldn?t it have been him instead of Anakin?

She clenched her fists and blinked back the angry tears. This train of thinking would take her to places she shouldn?t go. Her feelings would be easily sensed by the family full of Jedi she was to dine with in only ten minutes. Master Skywalker would most likely be the first to pick up on any anger, but then there was Leia, Jaina, Mara, not to mention Jacen himself. Would he know how much she despised him?

Trying to clear her mind, she quickly combed out her blond hair and splashed a bit of cold water on her face.

?Time to face the music,? she muttered to her reflection in the mirror.

As she made her way to the Solo family?s private quarters she felt a twinge of guilt. Tahiri knew it was of the Dark side to have such ambivalence toward Jacen. He was not the one to kill Anakin. That had been the Yuuzhan Vong, and she had more experience than she wanted with them. And as she pondered that thought, she realized that Jacen was now the only other person beside herself with such close contact with the Vong who had lived to tell about it.

All too soon, she was standing at the Solo?s door. It had become a second home to her? a second family. After Anakin?s death, they had welcomed her into their fold with open arms and warm hearts. Never had she felt more a part of something than now. She pushed the buzzer and in a brief moment, it was opened, and she was enveloped in a huge wookie-style hug by Han Solo.

?Tahiri!? he exclaimed as he squeezed her so tightly that her bare feet left the floor. She?d never seen Han Solo so happy. ?We?ve been waiting on you, kid.? He let her go and the air rushed back into her lungs. She forced a smile and looked up into his rugged face shining with joy. ?Isn?t it great? Jacen?s back!?

She nodded silently and peeked around to say hello to Leia and the Skywalkers who were already seated at the dining table. Luke was holding Ben on his lap trying desperately to get the boy to eat something green and leafy.

?Hi, Tahiri,? the Jedi master offered casually. It still surprised her how the legendary man managed to remain so unassuming. He never held his status over anyone?s head, even a lowly orphan from Tatooine like her.

?Having trouble, Master Skywalker?? she asked with a chuckle. She slid into a chair across from him and grabbed Ben?s chubby little hand. ?Hi, handsome boy,? she said and the baby grinned widely revealing his few tiny teeth. Luke seized the opportunity and shoved the food into his son?s mouth. The Jedi allowed himself a moment of triumph, which instantly disappeared once Ben got a taste of the stuff and spat it out right onto his father?s shirt.

?Sorry!? Tahiri offered while she wrinkled up her nose. ?You could always use the Force,? she suggested teasingly.

?Don?t think I?m not tempted,? Luke answered as he wiped off the mess.

Tahiri surveyed the room and noticed that Jaina and Jacen were missing. As if reading her thoughts, Leia announced, ?The twins will be here in just a moment. Jaina went to get Jacen.? Tahiri couldn?t ignore the looks of utter relief and delight that were present on everyone?s faces. It was a palpable presence in the room, and she hoped she?d be able to convince everyone she felt the same.

Just then, the doors swished open, and Tahiri froze in her

2. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    You Get Me-- Chapter 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~

The piercing scream jolted her from her sleep, if one could even call it sleep. It took her a moment to realize the voice had been her own and she had been dreaming once again? of him. The images were still fresh in her mind of the last time she?d seen him alive fighting valiantly against the Vong in order to save the lives of others-- including herself. Every night she was forced to relive the horror of seeing her love simply cease to be, leaving only an empty, lifeless shell behind.
    So many people had told her that time would ease the pain, but with each passing day the pain seemed to be getting worse.

Since Jacen had returned several weeks before, the hole in her heart felt like it was expanding, leaving her more alone than ever. So many things about him reminded her of Anakin? the way he walked, the way he laughed, even the way he smelled only served to taunt and tease her. Fate, it appeared, was a wicked thing, which delighted in the misery of others? or more pointedly, Tahiri?s misery.

Everyone else was deliriously happy that Jacen had come back and that the war seemed to be taking a turn for the better. They were full of hope for the future. But not her. What did she have to look forward to even if they did defeat the Vong? Her one true love was gone. She had no remaining family despite the Solo?s insistence that she was part of theirs. There was no place for her in the universe? no purpose. What was the point of it all?

At that instant, the door buzzer sounded causing her to jump and her heart to lurch. Taking a deep breath, she headed for the door wondering who would be stopping by in the middle of the night. It couldn?t be good news. Nothing good ever came from the night.

Opening the door she was startled to see Jacen standing there. His hair was mussed, and he looked as if he?d just awakened.

?Jacen??

?Hi,? he replied. ?Can I come in??

Tahiri glanced down at her baggy sleep pants and ran a hand through her tangled hair. ?I ? I guess so,? she conceded and then moved aside for him to enter. He walked hesitantly inside as if he was unsure about whether he should be there or not, and Tahiri watched him intently. The door swished shut and she flipped on a light.

?Is something wrong?? she asked waiting for the bad news.

Jacen looked at her in bewilderment. ?Um, why don?t you tell me,? he stated.

Tahiri stared back. ?I don?t know what you?re talking about.?

?Well,? Jacen began, ?I came because I felt you call out to me through the Force. You woke me out of a sound sleep, and I got here as fast as I could.?

She studied him for a few moments trying to decide if this was a joke or if he was for real. ?Jacen, I didn?t call out to you,? she finally declared as she turned and plopped on the edge of her bed.

?Hmm?,? he pondered. ?That?s strange. I was for certain that you had. It felt urgent? like you were in danger or something.?

Tahiri?s gaze shot up, but then she instantly looked away. Surely he hadn?t sensed her thoughts, the debate she?d been having about whether it was worth it to even be alive. She immediately put up a block on her emotions, despite the risk that Jacen would easily figure out what she?d done, and tried to sound nonchalant.

?Well, I didn?t call you and, as you can see, I?m perfectly all right.?

Jacen chuckled. ?All right, huh?? Tahiri felt her temper flare, but she kept it in check, watching him as he casually sat down in the chair by her small desk. ?Well, that?s good to know. I was a little worried about you even though Mom and Dad seem to think you?re doing okay. Maybe that?s because I know better than them what you?ve been through.?

The serious tone in his voice took Tahiri by surprise, and her defenses snapped reflexively into place. He was headed down roads she didn?t want to travel, ready to dredge up memories and feelings she?d been trying desperately to squelch for way too long.

?Do you want to talk about it?? he invited, leaning forward and restin

3. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    You Get Me?Chapter 3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jacen found his twin sister right where he guessed she would be--- in a flight simulator. He alerted her through the Force that he wanted to speak with her as soon as she finished her latest practice run.

Sure thing, bro, she shot back to him right before blasting through the three remaining coralskippers on her screen. Soon enough the cockpit popped open and Jaina Solo hoisted her petite frame out, landing gracefully on the deck. As she pulled off her helmet, Jacen noticed how disheveled her hair was and chuckled. She never was one to bother with her appearance, and she didn?t need to. Her innate cuteness and air of unflappable confidence still managed to turn a few heads even if a few hairs were out of place.

Once she drew nearer, however, he noticed something different. Even though they had just celebrated their twentieth Lifeday, the lines around Jaina?s eyes made her look nearly ten years older. Both of them had experienced enough life for a fifty year old in less than half the time. Immediately, he wondered how old he looked, and his hand shot up to rub the scraggly beard on his chin. For the last year in captivity with the Yuuzhan Vong, Jacen hadn?t paid much heed to his looks. The last thing a Vong wanted to accomplish was to look ?attractive?, so mirrors and personal grooming products were nonexistent. However, one of the first things he had done once he returned was to take an extremely long, extremely hot shower. Cleanliness was a good thing even though he could probably do with a shave.

?I agree,? Jaina stated as she walked up to him grinning, ?you do need to shave. You?re beginning to bear a striking resemblance to a scruffy looking nerfherder.?

?Funny,? he muttered flatly trying not to smile back.

?I can?t help it. I was born this way,? she added jokingly. ?So, what?s up? What did you need to talk to me about?? She slid her arm through his, and he patted her hand. It felt good to have her next to him, his other half.

?How much time do you have?? he asked. ?I have a lot on my mind.?

?For you, dear brother, I have all the time in the world.? Although she said it teasingly, he knew she was being truthful. Finding one another again had brought them both closer than they?d ever been before.

The last few weeks hadn?t given them much alone time. Jaina and her squadron had been sent on a short mission, and Jacen had split his time between debriefing meetings with officials, visiting Vergere, and spending time with his parents. Leia couldn?t seem to hug him enough, as if constantly reassuring herself that he was indeed alive and well.

Jaina offered her room, and they set off arm in arm. Jacen mentally sorted through the list of topics he?d written in his mind. It was overwhelming, so he just picked a starting point.

?Um, how about Jag Fel?? he began. Jaina nudged her elbow into his side. ?Ow! That wasn?t necessary,? he scolded. ?So, it?s true? You two are an item??

He noticed the faintest blush on her cheeks and knew the answer before she spoke it. ?I guess,? she acquiesced. ?At least I think so. He?s kind of hard to read sometimes.?

?Has he kissed you?? Jacen continued as he studied her reddening face. She wouldn?t look at him or say anything. ?Well, your silence has answered that question.?

?Next topic of conversation.?

Jacen snickered and received another elbow in his ribs. ?Okay! Okay!? he surrendered. ?No more teasing you about your new boyfriend. Tell me about Anakin?s funeral.? The lighthearted mood instantly vanished. Jaina glanced up at her brother, now taller than just a year ago, and struggled to hold back the tears forming in her large brown eyes.

?I?I don?t remember much,? she admitted, hanging her head. ?That was a bad time for me.? They had reached her room and went inside. Jaina proceeded to tell Jacen of her near fall to the dark side after Anakin?s death while he listened intently holding her hand and offering a hug every now and then.

?So, Kyp helped to pull

4. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Chapter 4--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was following her--- again.

It wasn?t that Tahiri could feel him approaching through the Force. No, it was simpler than that. She could hear his heavy footsteps as they padded up the corridor behind her. Sighing inwardly, she refused to stop, even when he called her name. Instead, she continued on into the dining hall wishing he?d just go away and leave her alone. For the past week he?d been practically stalking her. Every time she turned around, there he was? at meals, in the training room, even in the local library, a place she?d been using as a get away for the past few months. Life on the planet of Mon Calamari, the current capital of the Galactic Alliance, was too full of people. Studying in the library helped to balance out her life between the ruthless daily workouts she put herself through and the peaceful solitude she?d grown to crave ever since?

Ever since Anakin had died.

Increasing her pace, she managed to put more distance between herself and Jacen, enough so that he would have to push his way through several people to catch up with her in the food service line. Taking a tray, she hurriedly made her way down the line, taking fewer items than she normally would have. Curiosity got the best of her, and she couldn?t resist a quick glance to see if he was still in pursuit. Peering around the Mon Cal beside her, she was met by the smiling face of Jacen Solo five people down the line. He offered her a friendly little wave, and she snapped her gaze away with a jerk.

She sighed again, annoyed at his undaunting persistence, yet strangely amused at the same time--- something she hadn?t felt in a long time. Surely, he had better things to do than baby-sit her, and it was clear that?s exactly what he was doing. Until he had returned, she had been able to stay under everyone else?s radar, making them believe she was well over Anakin?s passing. She had nearly convinced herself that she was okay, too, until Jacen showed up. He had some kind of second sense about her inner workings, and he was just enough like his younger brother to bring the memories flooding back, and with it, the pain.

Quickly, she paid the cashier droid and proceeded to find a seat at an empty table in the large, open eating area. Glancing up at the transparent ceiling, she still felt queasy every time she came here. It didn?t seem natural for a girl from the dry, sandy planet of Tatooine to be eating under water. Luckly, most of the time she didn?t have to think about being submerged under the ocean, but here the ceiling of the dining hall was made of a transparisteel dome so that diners could enjoy the view of Mon Cal?s wide variety of marine life.

With a shudder, she returned to the food on her plate.

?Credit for your thoughts,? Jacen offered as he slipped into the seat across from Tahiri. She glanced up to find the Jedi smiling warmly at her. It was amazing how grown up he looked now, she noted.

?No thoughts,? she replied and then stabbed a fork into something fishy and pink. Avoiding eye contact with him was a necessity. He was way too perceptive for her comfort.

?Oh, I don?t believe that,? he argued. ?Why, there?s steam coming out of your ears from all the brain activity happening inside your head.?

Tahiri simply glowered at him. Did she dare tell him the steam was a result of the anger at being followed around all the time?

?Now, that?s not a very happy face, Tahiri. Did I say the wrong thing?? Jacen was trying the innocent act she?d seen his father try so often on his mother? and it was extremely annoying. She sat her fork down and took a deep breath.

?Look , Jacen,? she began, ?I know what you?re doing, and really, you don?t have to bother.?

His smile was gone, a more serious expression taking its place, and suddenly she sensed waves of strength rolling off of him. ?And what exactly am I doing that I don?t have to do??

So, he was going to do this the hard way.

Tahiri sighed heavily and gathered her thoughts. ?You?re ba

5. SpacedOutAnna

SpacedOutAnna Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2002
    Aw......... that post is so SAD. Jacen is such a sweetie tho. More soon!

Anna

6. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Chapter 5--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````

The next few days passed by and Tahiri saw no trace of Jacen anywhere. However, instead of feeling relieved, she was surprised to feel a little miffed. Deciding he must not have been as concerned about her as he implied, Tahiri slunk back into her usual routine. After a restless night?s sleep, she?d get up early, shower, go to the training room and push herself past the point of all sensibility, clean up, grab some breakfast and then head to the library for some peace and quiet. Most evenings she?d spend alone in her room or sometimes strolling around the city.

One afternoon after she returned from the library, a message was waiting for her from Jaina Solo. She wanted to get together for dinner and just catch up since she had been gone on a mission for several days with Twin Suns Squadron. Tahiri accepted. The company would be nice for a change, and besides? she had to eat anyway.

They met in a small café Jaina had heard about from another pilot, and Tahiri was pleased to find the place did not serve any seafood whatsoever.

?If I have to eat one more piece of fish, I think I?ll throw up!? she exclaimed as she and Jaina were led to a small table.

?Yeah, I know what you mean. I?m dying to have a good nerf steak, and this place is supposed to have the best.?

They settled in and took a look at the menu. In just a few moments, the waiter returned to take their order and bring them drinks. Tahiri realized as she sipped her beverage that Jaina was staring at her.

Jaina plopped her elbows on the table and asked bluntly, ?Are you okay??

A bit taken aback, it took Tahiri a few seconds to answer. ?I?m?I?m fine.?

Jaina scrutinized the younger girl?s response, trying to get a good read on her. ?Are you sure??

?Jaina, I?m fine, really. Why--- why do you ask??

Jaina sighed and leaned back in her chair shaking her head. ?I don?t know. It?s just that Jacen has it in his head that you might not be? you know? over Anakin.?

Tahiri froze and her heart lodged instantly in her throat. When would it stop hurting so badly every time she heard that name?

?I?m sorry, Tahiri,? Jaina offered. ?I didn?t mean to upset you, which I?ve apparently done a bang up job of. Jacen?s just worried about you. You?re almost like a sister to us, you know, and we just want you to be okay.? Jaina took Tahiri?s silence as the end of that conversation and decided to start a new one. ?All right. Enough of that. Do you want to hear about my last mission??

Tahiri nodded her head and smiled weakly encouraging Jaina to continue, which she eagerly did. After a few minutes of Jaina?s story, Tahiri tuned her out and began thinking about what Jaina had said about Jacen. Why was he so concerned about her? Why couldn?t he just leave her alone like everyone else had done? He was sticking his nose where it didn?t belong, and now it seemed he was bringing Jaina into it as well. Would he never be out of her life?

?? and then Jag and I shot down the whole squadron of coralskippers and?? Jaina continued to ramble, and Tahiri continued to nod every once in a while. But if the truth were told, she couldn?t wait to get back to her room away from other people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner was not as good as she had hoped. Perhaps it was the pre-meal conversation that had embittered the taste. The rest of the night was a bit strained, at least on Tahiri?s end. She wasn?t sure if Jaina even sensed her discomfort or not, she was so absorbed in sharing the latest relationship news between herself and Jagged Fel. Tahiri thought he was a little dry and stuffy, but he seemed to make Jaina happy which was all that really mattered she supposed.

She turned out her lights and crawled into bed, burrowing under the covers. After growing up on a desert planet with two suns, every other place seemed too cold for her liking. Using the Force, she tried to calm herself and stop thinking about dinner and Jacen? and Anakin.

Anakin. He was always somewhere

7. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Chapter 5? continued
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ?Now,? Jacen urged softly, smoothing back Tahiri?s short-cropped blond hair, ?tell me what this is all about.?

Her body trembled as she tried to cease her crying, and he waited patiently for the sniffling to ebb. In a few moments, she pulled back and wiped her nose with a handkerchief Jacen had retrieved moments before from his small dresser.

?Thanks,? she muttered with a small smile. She situated her legs into a crossed position on the floor in front of Jacen, and he did the same. She remained quiet and simply stared down at her hands lying in her lap.

?Tahiri,? Jacen tried again, ?I think I deserve to know how you ended up here in my room crying your eyes out in the middle of the night, don?t you??

Daring a glance up into his face, she instantly felt like a little child who was caught trying to hide a secret. His brown eyes bored into hers until she knew she would have to answer him.

?I?I saw him. He led me here,? she said.

?Who? Who led you here??

She swallowed hard and stared at him knowing he?d never believe her. Oh, well, she decided, here it goes anyway.

?Anakin,? she stated plainly. She waited for the shock and disbelief to erupt into a mocking laugh, but it never happened. Instead Jacen?s face morphed into a very serious scowl as he sincerely contemplated her response.

?What exactly do you mean-- ?Anakin??? he questioned.

Did he actually believe her?

?Um, I saw Anakin in my room. He?he woke me up, and then he brought me? here.?

Jacen looked around the room; the serious look still etched on his face, as if searching for any sign of his younger brother. ?Tell me exactly what you saw.? For some reason, Tahiri didn?t hesitate to explain all that had occurred.

?He looked real? solid, you know? But there was this blue light surrounding him, so I don?t know if he was actually there in front of me. I don?t know, maybe I was just dreaming again, hoping that he was coming back.? She paused and looked up at Jacen. He was listening intently to her every word, no sign of disbelief yet evident on his face.

?Did he say anything to you? Anything at all??

She hesitated for a moment before nodding her head. ?I asked him if he was real and he said ?yes and no?. Then he told me he had something to show me, something that was for my own good. Next thing I know, I?m here, in your room, and he just? just disappeared.? A lump formed instantly in her throat as she fought back another round of tears desperate to escape.

Jacen grabbed her hand and squeezed it gently, reassuring her with a warm smile. ?Am I going crazy, Jacen?? she asked wiping a tear from the corner of her eye.

?No, no,? he said squeezing her hand more tightly. ?You?re not crazy, Tahiri, not unless I?m crazy, too.?

?What do you mean? Did you see him?? she questioned anxiously.

?Not just now, but I have seen him before? on Coruscant.?

?You did??

?More than once, as a matter of fact,? he added.

?Was he real? When you saw him, was he for real?? she asked hopefully.

?Yes? and no,? he chuckled. ?He was real to me at that particular moment, but was he real like we are?? He sighed deeply. ?Not exactly.?

Tahiri pulled her hand from Jacen?s and shook her head in confusion. ?I don?t understand. Why? How??

?I don?t know how,? Jacen attempted to explain. ?I have no idea how it is possible, other than the fact that Uncle Luke was able to see his father, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda even after they were dead to this life. Perhaps that is what we saw? a Force vision.

?The why,? he pondered, ?actually, I might have a theory on that? if you?d care to listen.?

Tahiri nodded in agreement. ?Okay.?

Jacen shifted to get more comfortable and then started to share his hypothesis. He knew she might not like what he had to say.

?If it was really Anakin, maybe his appearing to us was truly for our own good. When I saw him on Coruscant, I was ready to give up hope. Seeing him gave me the push I needed to keep livi

8. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jacen Solo braced his arm against the wall of the shower and let the steamy, hot water cascade over his tired body. The heat and pressure helped relieve some of the tension that had built up in his muscles. The night had been a long one, and he replayed its events over in his mind again.

He?d gone to bed at a normal time, had no trouble getting to sleep. Then as if appearing from nowhere, Tahiri had woken him with a cry. How she had gotten into his locked room was still a mystery unless he chose to believe her story about Anakin?s ghostly apparition. And he did believe her. One look at her and no one could doubt her sincerity that she in deed did see Anakin Solo.

Broken, she had fallen into Jacen?s arms, crying until she could cry no more, finally admitting she needed help to work through her grief. It had been a breakthrough, one he welcomed without hesitation.

They talked for a while longer until she could barely keep her eyes open.

?Why don?t you try to get some sleep,? Jacen suggested with his arm around her shoulders. ?We can continue tomorrow when we?re both a little more rested.?

?No!? she protested, shocking him with her firm reply. ?I mean I?m okay. I don?t need any sleep.?

Jacen chuckled. ?Tahiri, you?re ready to fall down right this very minute. You need some rest, and I?m not taking no for an answer,? he asserted.

She paused to glare at him and then plopped down on his bed in surrender. Glancing up at him, she looked like a frightened little child. ?Jacen, I?m?I?m scared. I?m afraid to go back there? afraid to sleep. Sometimes my dreams are, well, I just don?t want to go.?

Jacen stood there and studied her weary face, so young and yet so old, and his heart yearned to comfort her. Sitting down on the edge of the bed next to her, he took her hand in his. ?Okay. You don?t have to go. You can stay here, but you have to rest.? He cut off her argument before she could get a word out of her mouth. ?I?ll help you sleep. How does that sound??

Slowly, she nodded her head. ?Okay.?

?All right then. Why don?t you lie back on the pillow and close your eyes.?
    She shot him a suspicious look and he laughed. ?Trust me. This will work.?

She did as he ordered even though it felt a bit strange having his brother?s girlfriend lying in his bed. However, her fear of returning to her room alone and to the recurring nightmares she often must have far outweighed any apprehension she felt. Jacen scooted up along the edge to be closer to her.

?Now, try to relax and don?t block me out. You?ve got to work with me for this to be successful.? She flinched when Jacen?s fingertips touched her temples, but she forced herself to do as he asked. ?Take slow even breaths,? he said softly, ?and just focus on resting.?

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, willing herself to calm. The feel of her face was surprisingly soft to his touch, and the last thing she said was, ?I don?t know if this is going to work.?

Well, that didn?t take long, he thought. Now to ensure that she?d be able to sleep in peace.

Jacen closed his own eyes and breathed in deeply as he delved into her mind. At first, he encountered a bit of resistance until he offered a reassuring brush through the Force. As he purged deeper into her thoughts, he found things he had expected would exist: sadness over Anakin?s death, anger at the Yuuzhan Vong for their attempted shaping of her, fear of it all happening again. He saw flashes of her memories from childhood with the Tusken Raiders, when she first went to the Jedi Academy, when she first met Anakin. With each memory, he also felt the emotions that were so securely tethered to each one. It was as if he was watching her life play out like a holovid in his own mind.

He braced himself as the scenes escalated toward what was surely the climax of her life? Anakin?s death. He ?watched? as she and Anakin escaped the enemy on Yavin 4 after her horrible capture by the Vong shapers. Jacen felt her confusion as she struggled to rediscover h

9. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the first time in a long time, Tahiri was actually looking forward to a new day. She felt like she had been drifting in some kind of emotional limbo for so long that this glimmer of hope was like a drop of water to her thirsty soul. It wasn?t that she expected Jacen Solo to work a miracle for her, but just the idea that he was taking time out for her helped to ease some of the pain she?d been wallowing in for the past year.

Looking around her room now made last night?s ?visit? by Anakin?s ghost seem like it never happened.

Ghost?--- Is that what he had been? Or was it as Jacen said??a manifestation of her own heart?s needs and desires. She chuckled and shook her head. If it was her own desires, then why in the world did she lead herself to Jacen?

Her eyes shot to the door. Jacen was waiting patiently on the other side, ready to begin?but begin what exactly, Tahiri had no clue. Part of her was frightened, unwilling to confront the very pain she?d been clinging to, while another part of her?one that had been forced to hide since the entrance of the Vong into her life?was anxious at the prospect of the unknown and unpredictable future.

Quickly, she jumped in the shower; then hurriedly dressed in a pair of black pants and a tan-colored tank. Glancing only briefly in the mirror to ruffle her still damp hair into place over her Vong mark, she grabbed a jacket and left the room. When the door opened, she found Jacen leaning against the wall, his eyes closed and a peaceful look on his face. A tiny grin escaped his lips.

?That was fast,? he stated, opening his eyes and standing up straight.

?Were you sleeping?? Tahiri asked.

?No, no?just meditating while I had the chance,? he explained. ?I find the older I get, the more I need it.?

Tahiri laughed out loud. ?Oh, yeah, you?re so old, Jacen Solo.?

His grin widened but then the expression on his face grew more serious. ?Maybe not chronologically, but I think we?re both mature beyond our years. Don?t you??

?Um,? the statement took her by surprise and she stammered out a response. ?I guess you?re right.?

Jacen sensed her uneasiness and knew he needed to take it slow. Tahiri tried to put forth a tough front, but he knew deep inside she was as fragile as a delicate shadowmoth.

?You hungry? Because I?m starving!? he exclaimed. His move worked. He felt the tension leave her as she smiled and nodded her head in agreement. ?Great! I know this neat little place??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Breakfast had been delicious. It was as if her taste buds had awakened from a long hibernation. Every bite tasted better than the one before it.

Jacen had taken control of the conversation, a fact she appreciated. The topic eventually turned to Anakin, which Tahiri had expected would happen sooner or later. However, after the initial stab of pain in her gut, it gradually ebbed away, partly due to the stories Jacen was sharing. They were all good memories he had of his younger brother while they were growing up. Tales of trouble they had either caused or found themselves smack dab in the middle of?stories of their relentless aggravation of poor C3PO, of teasing Jaina until she ran to their parents crying. Jacen quickly added that it didn?t take long for their sister to figure out all the advantages of being ?daddy?s little princess?.

?My rear end still smarts from those memories,? he admitted with a chuckle. ?Dad always did like her best.? He was rewarded with Tahiri?s laughter from across the table.

?I didn?t realize he was such a little troublemaker,? she said.

?Yeah, well, I was usually the brains behind the mayhem. He usually just came along for the ride.?

Tahiri grew silent and Jacen was afraid she was going to block him out. Then she surprised him.

?He looked up to you, you know,? she said looking him straight in the eye. Those were words he hadn?t expected to hear. Jacen was speechless as he gazed into her bright green eyes. Funny

10. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Yay! First post for me, and a new post from you, val! Wonderful!

You're just now having spring break? I hate you! ;) We had ours like two or three weeks ago...and right now they're loading us down with homework...which I haven't done yet. *sigh* And I have to finish a book tonight to write a report on it tomorrow for English class. Well, that's high school for you.

Anyways, I'm sure you're looking forward to your (I'm sure well-needed) break!

Wonderful postie! I'm liking their interaction. It's very natural, and I think that's right for them. They can tease and talk about serious things, too. That's good to see. Tahiri laughed out loud. ?Oh, yeah, you?re so old, Jacen Solo.? That's exactly what I was thinking when he said that! [face_laugh]

Very, very nice!

Is it too soon to ask for more? (It probably is, and that's okay, I had to say it anyways ;) )

11. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Awwww!! Jacen thinks she's CUTE!! 8-}

wonderful post Val ^_^

EJ

12. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Awwww, I love it val! :) I've been missing this fic, and I read through it all again before the last post. ;)

I'm loving the whole "friends" dynamic between Jacen and Tahiri. I think it works better for them than it would for some. If I wasn't such a big fan of Anakin/Tahiri and if I wasn't convinced he was coming back, I'd definitely be converted. ;) And wonderful writing as always. :)

Jae Angel

13. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Oh, NJ! You're a resurrectionist? LOL! Well, I hope you enjoy this fic anyway. ;)

I do see Jacen and Tahiri as starting out as friends first, too. Hopefully, I can make it believable.

14. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    I still have hopes for a Tahiri and Piggy union. :p

Great post Val.

Oh I updated Sands.

OWLC

15. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    LOL, OWLC! That makes me think of that scene in RD or RS (can't remember which!) where Sharr and Piggy first meet Jaina. Do you know that one? It's one of mu favorites.

16. Obi_Wans_love_child

Aug 30, 2001
    Ah yes where Piggy was to stand guard as Jaina and the other man to were to bathe each other. Its in Rebel Dream :)

OWLC

17. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    LOL! That's it! [face_laugh] I laughed so hard when I read that for the first time. My husband thought I was losing my mind--- but it's been gone for a long time. :D

18. Obi_Wans_love_child

Aug 30, 2001
    My wife keeps wondering if I ever had mine. ;)

OWLC

19. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Ah Star Wars and spouses. My fiance doesn't get it either. ;) Oh well, at least I have you two goofs, eh? :D

And get to doing homework, mister! :mad: BAD OWLC!

Jae Angel

20. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    Who you calling goofs? ;)

Yeah, my hubby stopped trying to understand my obsessions a long time ago. And I've done the same for him. It makes our marriage much more enjoyable!

21. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Just for the record, and I want everyone to know this, I am NOT a resurrectionist. If they bring him back in some cheesy, corny way, I will be almost as mad as when they kill off Kyp.

Upsie!

22. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    I agree with JJD!! Ressurecting people is just...weird...and its unrealistic.

Anyway...that was a wonderful post--Jacen is starting to think about Tahiri.... :D Yay!!! It's nice to see how Tahiri is starting to come out of her shell so to speak, not as anti-everyoneif you get my drift!

23. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    If it was her own desires, then why in the world did she lead herself to Jacen?

Hmm. I think we all know the answer to that one ;)

Again, she laughed out loud, and he found he liked to see her smiling. Her whole face seemed to light up, and he could see why his brother had been attracted to her. She was pretty, in a sweet and natural kind of way? really cute.

Ohh, you can just feel the love between those two. He already has special feelings for her.

Now, I must go and update the J/T thread :D

~aeryn

24. Danny_Quee

Danny_Quee Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2002
    Well, I figured I owed it to myself to check out Val's non-Danni stories and I decided to start with this one. And it is very nice! :) It's a very good story and you write both Tahiri and Jacen really well.

That said, I am, as you know, a Jacen/Danni fan and while I can enjoy reading stories about Danni with other male characters, there's a part of me that doesn't like Jacen with other female characters. I honestly can't say why, and it kinda scares me. 8-}

But I'm enjoying this story and I'll try to keep up with it. :)

Oh, and Val, is there any chance that you might move your Jacen/Danni story to the new board with a new post soon? Pleeeeease? *looks hopeful*

25. val solo

Jun 22, 2000
    You read my mind! Yes, I am planning on moving that story here as well. Just let me get through tomorrow-- the last day of school before Spring Break!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.