main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation "You got PT in my OT!"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Guy-Gone_Weird, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    It doesn't seem all that long ago to me that people were whining about Lucas adding a Dug walking around in Jabba's Palace, and Gungans yelling "Weesa Free!!" in Return of the Jedi.

With the upcoming Sequel Trilogy, it is inevitable that the included Original Trilogy characters and groups will interact with aliens and elements introduced in the Prequel Trilogy. For all we know, Luke has a Jedi Academy complete with Gungans, Pau'ans and Kel-Dor. Or the leader of Rogue Squadron is a Nautolan.

Is everyone over their desire to separate the OT and PT?

Which prequel elements would you like to see included, and which would you absolutely hate to see?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The more blended, the better. They occupy the same universe and in context with the scope of the PT, the OT seems like a very human-centric place. Which is what the Empire was going for.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Can we at least all agree no one should say "midichlorians"?

4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I'd like to see a 100 meter tall memorial statue to Bea Arthur's character from the Holiday Special. It just won't be Star Wars without it.

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Homeless Valorum is my fan-wish.

7. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    ewwww, you totally did.

8. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I would like to at least see alien species from the PT in the ST, like Neimoidians, Geonosians, Muuns, Gossams, Skakoans, etc.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Amid the madness of the past couple of days, finally, a bit of sense.

We really need to find out what happened to this guy, too:

[​IMG]

Of course, what I'm really looking forward to is the TV series that will come after this Eps 7-9 nonsense.

[​IMG]

"Stir Whip Stir Whip Stir Stir Stir: Gormaanda's Kitchen Nightmares"

10. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I never had such an inane desire. I grew up on the OT, and despite the fact that it wasn't what I expected I embraced the PT (and all of its warts) as well as the paradigm shift in my view of Star Wars. It only makes sense for the ST to include elements from both of the previous trilogies. Definitely some of the aliens from the PT. Also some more of the advanced light saber duels as seen in the PT.

11. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    You bring up an interesting point.

I agree, the Sequel Trilogy will probably be the child of the Original Trilogy and the Prequels. However, as the new creaters will probably try to avoid the Prequels' disappointing reception, I guess the ST will be closer to the OT.

In a way, they should do that. That's a sound business decision, and the Sequels shouldn't feel like the continuation of Episode III.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  12. fishtailsam

Jul 30, 2003
    The problem with a dug in jabbas palace or adding gungans to the end of ROTJ wasn't that there was "PT in my OT", it was that Lucas CHANGED something that didn't need to be changed. It wasn't nessisary, just like it wasn't nessisary to have blinking ewoks or vader dubbed "Nooooooooooooooooo!"

I totally ignore the PT and the blue ray, but I would still be fine if there were dug-Jedi flipping all over the place because nothing needs to be changed to accomplish that.

The_Face and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  13. Guy-Gone_Weird

Jul 28, 2003
    Jobertus - I wasn't meaning to imply everyone had that desire, I maybe should have phrased it "are those that felt that way over it". I still see complaints in The Clone Wars about certain aliens and especially Jar Jar, but I think the Sequel Trilogy will finally put to PT vs OT distaste.

Still, I wouldn't make any assumptions yet about the creators not including PT aliens due to disappointing reception, because it's money that makes them make a lot of their decisions, and the PT was very profitable.

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Definitely. There may have been a real reason behind the Hayden Christensen Force ghost. But adding aliens, blinking, stuff that is pointless? Not to mention resource-wasting? Don't know why he did that.
    If The Last Supper's paints break down, we do restoration work. But we don't need to give Jesus mascara.

UseTheForceLady likes this.
  15. sidious1000

sidious1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2001
    But then we'll miss out on some great ( and pointless) bashing posts.
    I hope that in the end it will just be the POTTTS and everyone will be happy.

16. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Hopefully it will put such arguments to rest. I might agree with those critics of the Clone Wars and Jar Jar Binks, I'm just not in to tearing GL a new ***hole over it. Thinking of Episode VII, (VIII and IX) it's difficult not to let my imagination run wild, I can't wait for more details to emerge, so I know how much of the post-RotJ EU is going to be jettisoned out the airlock. I think the ST will have its own feel (closer to the OT than the PT), but also (simply based upon more modernized production) look more like the PT than the OT.

17. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    This is a really good question. Is there a chance we'll be seeing locations like Naboo, Geonosis, and Geonosis again? I hope not, as I'd really rather see new locations. Then again, I would love to return to Hoth, Dagobah, or Cloud City.

A few things I wouldn't mind seeing from the PT: double-bladed lightsabers, destroyer droids (only a few!), podracers, something like general grievous, cloning facilities, some of the ships from Episode 3.

18. Tibanna Gas Mine

Tibanna Gas Mine Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    What a great topic. I guess I have a problem with the idea of bringing back PT stuff to the ST if they don't absolutely have to unless it must tie into the story. Like for example if a character in the ST has to go to Naboo or something... it's just funny if you think chronologically, Naboo's existance would theoretically skip a whole entire trilogy (because I'm assuming Naboo didn't exist in Lucas's mind yet when he made the OT). And then it would seem like "OK, let's go back to some planets from the PT since the audience remembers them better from the early 2000's, even though they don't exist in any of the characters dialogues or minds during the OT, the actual trilogy in which our new story is jumping from." (With the obvious exception being Coruscant) If they're just trying to patch things together just for the sake of patching things together for the mainstream audience, and if it genuinely does not help the story, then it would be a little upsetting. They should truly use this opportunity of a rare blank canvas and paint something beautifully. Go for a mostly new and creative route, along with only the crucial places from the past trilogies.

19. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I'd like to see ship design more in sync with the OT than the PT. Always were MUCH more realistic IMO.

20. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I hope whoever writes the sequels doesn't just ignore the PT out of spite. I would love to see some PT aliens and planets appear. And if the Sith are involved, there should be more exploration of midichlorians and their ability to control them. In fact, if I was writing the new films I would throw in a midi reference just to annoy all the PT haters :p

21. Guy-Gone_Weird

Jul 28, 2003
    Well, LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out had lots of PT references - the main characters spent most of their time on Naboo with Gungans. Admittedly in a silly way, but that project was officially licensed, and I doubt Lucas had anything to do with it. Even as kid-friendly as it was though, I generally enjoyed it and it got me thinking about actually seeing new OT stories.

But like most everyone, what I look forward to most are the new planets and aliens, more than any PT or OT ones.

22. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    What I love about new Star Wars movies are the unforeseen additions to the canvas: new worlds, vehicles, costumes, aliens, creatures, factions, technology, etc. sprung from the greatest and most creative designers in the business.

It is impossible to predict what we will see but I'm reasonably sure that there will at least be some familiar pieces from the PT and OT peppering the creations minted for the ST. A seamless progression in design from Episode VI to VII and beyond would make sense in universe but a regression to 70's era style, tech and set dressing would not work in the real world. The scope of the CGI-era PT is likely to be continued in the ST instead of the budget-limited, claustrophobic feel of the OT.

If Luke Skywalker returns in VII, one of the moments that will create the most inner glee for me is seeing him in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If Luke Skywalker returns in VII, one of the moments that will create the most inner glee for me is seeing him in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

This is the one scenario that I have pre-psyched myself up to see. I have no care to hope for or even speculate about much else...

24. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, but remember how great some of these throwbacks looked in the prequel trilogy?

The retro electronics in the homestead:
    [​IMG]

The Tantive IV (Blockade Runner) in RotS:
    [​IMG]

DarthKreVass likes this.
  25. fishtailsam

Jul 30, 2003
    Those screenshots give me hope that the prequels might be good! I can't wait.

mutantchair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.