main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada You guys probally get this alot ......

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by tsunami_trooper, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    So what's this Shin dig all boot eh? I just don't get what you hosers are yakin aboot. we talk just fine eh, so take off any hose head that can't get it right...

One question though for you yankee neighbours eh? What's with all the green stuff eh?? Must be a pain for yer dog sled.

2. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    When I went to Australia when I was 15, most of them couldn't figure out where I was from.

One-third of the time, they assumed I was from the U.S., and one-third of the time they thought I was British "or something close to it", they'd say. Mind you, both my parents are British ex-pats, so like Woofer, I learned to articulate the Queen's English from a young age. ;)

The remarkable thing I noticed, though, was how much better I was treated the moment these Australians realized I was neither a "Yank" or a "P.O.M.E." (Prisoner Of Mother England), pronounced "PAW-mee".

I knew then how right my Dad was to give me a large handful of Canadian flag pins for the trip, so that I could wear one at a time and give them away to people I met abroad. It served as an identifier, as well as a gift of goodwill. To this day, whenever I travel outside North America, I still take with me a handful of Canadian flag or red maple leaf pins.

- Rani

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Actually, I don't say "eh"...and I've rarely heard anyone say it...*shrug*

You've heard me say it many times.

I always wear something that identifies me as Canadian when I travel abroad, including the US. I have fun with the Yanks. I walk into a store and finish every sentance with "eh", say "aboot" excessively, all that good stuff. I once walked into an American pet store dressed in a Team Canada hat and a "I am Canadian" Molson t-shirt, and asked for a beaver. They think I'm crazy.

4. tsunami_trooper

tsunami_trooper Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2003
    I don't know if to mant Pet Stores sell beavers, in U.S.

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    They don't, and I don't expect them to when I ask. Beavers do not make good pets. I just like having fun with the clerk. It's fun making fun of stereotypes. Maybe next time the FF comes over, I'll have a pile of empty Heineken bottles in my living room, a fridge full of sauerkraut, a freezer full of bratwurst, and a closet full of lederhosen. ;)

6. tsunami_trooper

Apr 7, 2003
    Hey I had all of that for dinner last night seriously
    And if this was a joke someone could of told me now I am goin to run home and cry

7. tsunami_trooper

Apr 7, 2003
    By the way your FF banner is pretty cool.

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You had sauerkraut, bratwurst, and heineken for dinner? You seem a little young to be drinking. I sure hope you didn't eat lederhosen as well. :p

9. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    ...drinking age in Ontario and everywhere else except Quebec is 19...

The drinking age in both Alberta and the Yukon is 18!

10. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I say eh all the time.

It's like the American huh (as mentioned before), but a lot more musical.

11. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    farting = more musical

:D

12. tsunami_trooper

Apr 7, 2003
    well maybe not the beer but the other stuff oh yeah.

13. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Oh dear. So we've finally reached the consensus on the drinking age:

The drinking age Quebec, Alberta and the Yukon is 18. Everywhere else, it is 19.

Hmm....AT60 I don't ever remember you saying "eh" - but then again I don't really listen for it. Maybe we're all just so used to it that we don't really notice? *shrug*

Anyway, I really surprised myself because I actually said "eh" today! I was talking to my room mate's sister and I said "Don't forget you $20, eh?" Whoa...that's *so* weird. It makes me wonder if I actually do say it more than I think I do.

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I didn't start using it until my 16th year. Once I started using it, I used it a lot.

15. tsunami_trooper

Apr 7, 2003
    Now that I brought this up is anyone saying it more often?

16. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Howzit goin', eh?

17. Rinannonwen

Rinannonwen Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2003
    I don't remember saying eh at all, or anyone else for that matter, but it seems somewhat natual. When I was in the states a few years ago with my family a woman asked us if we were from Canada, she claimed we said eh a lot. I didn't remember any of us saying it at all. I think we just don't notice it because we are used to it.

18. tsunami_trooper

Apr 7, 2003
    Well you awnsered some of my question but don't worry I'll have more moo ha ha ha

19. tsunami_trooper

Apr 7, 2003
    I jsut heard that the gambling age here is 21 starting in June

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.