"You had to be there"--The fanfic oblique reference challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthIshtar, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    All right, this challenge was inspired by things like "I haven't felt you this tense since we fell into that nest of gundarks" and any other times when you read or see something in Star Wars that you KNOW has some backstory that just wasn't mentioned.

So, I know we all like to make oblique references to random events in our stories, so here's the challenge: Take any obscure reference to something, whether in the movies or in one of your fanfics and write the backstory to it. Response here.

Responses

A-E

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=20365527]Decoy[/link] by Bale
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22920625/p1/?20]Empty[/link] by DarthIshtar

F-K

L-P

Q-Z

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/23041645/p1/?2]Touch of Light[/link] by DarthIshtar

Per the new rule in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/22772604/p1/?11] Jan. 1, 2006 Fan Fic Update[/link], please use one of your existing challenge threads for this new challenge.
  2. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'd love to respond to this, but I'm having trouble remembering any references other than the nest one. Could you help me out with that?
  3. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight

star 5
    What a great idea! I know that in one of the Jedi Quest books Obi-Wan and Anakin have that encounter with the nest of gundarks.
  4. Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master

star 5
    OK, I get that the reference can be in a movie/book or in a fanfic, but the event that it's a reference TO - does that have to be a canon event or can that be a fic thing as well?

I think I have a few if they can be fic events.
  5. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    It can be a fic one. For example: the one in the index right now is one that I wrote to explain a scene in a fic I wrote 5 years ago about Vader seeing Padme for the last time.

Edit: Oh, and example of oblique reference other than gundarks: "And not for saving your skin for the 10th time." What were the other 9 times other than Cato Neimodia?
  6. Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    And what happened on Cato Neimodia? Is that in the EU somewhere? (Where?) Or is that just another reference?
  7. jacemathem Jedi Master

star 5
    Labyrinth of Evil, novel.
  8. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Cato Neimoidia is one of the settings for Labyrinth of Evil and yes, Anakin saves Obi-Wan's butt. It's a good scene...
  9. Lola64 Jedi Master

star 4
    I couldn't do this justice so if anyone wants it, there's always Han's comment in ESB. "I'm sure he's forgotten about that by now."
  10. 1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master

star 4
    The tricky thing here is, with oblique references in my fics, I'm usually planning on revealing the reference's origin at some point.
    I can't for the life of me remember who han is refering to in that quote.

Most of the oblique references in Jedi happen in Jabba's palace, and reference the previous movies. Are there any that occur after that portion?
  11. correllian_ale Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think the EU already covered that with references to both Han winning the Falcon, or the Yelsia mission at the end of Rebel Dawn from the Han Solo Trilogy. But I'm sure he's ticked off Lando in other ways if someone wants to do it any way. *i'll just shut up now*

Oh, there's the whole "No Disintigrations" line...

EDIT: Yod, for shame! How could anyone forget my good buddy Lando...wait forget him! He took that Colt 45 endorsment over my correllian_ale!!
  12. Zonoma Jedi Master

star 5
    I think he was referring to Lando, just before setting course for Bespin.
  13. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    That was actually as Chewie was saying something after the guardships shoot on them.
  14. Zonoma Jedi Master

star 5
    *shrugs*

Still, it was referring to Lando.
  15. Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    hey in ROTS there's Anakin comment to Obi-Wan "hey, no loose wire jokes." I don't know where you could take that one but what would a loose wire joke sound like:p
  16. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    TKeira_lea did a delightful explanation of that. I'll have to ask her if we can index it here.

Also, here's another one: an AU explanation of why Leia has memories of her "real mother." Or a canon version of why Luke has no memory of his mother, despite the fact that she actually had contact with him.
  17. divapilot Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    [face_thinking] Tosses in her two credits:

Maybe you could explain why Obi-Wan feels that "flying is for droids" or why he considers Mos Eisley (sp??) "a wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Or why he says "I hate it when he does that" as Anakin leaps out of the aircar in ATOC. (Boy, where'd all these bunnies come from?)

:confused:
  18. Vongchild Jedi Master

star 5
    In Of Scars and Love, in the second vig, Jacen makes a refference to getting distracted in the 'fresher. Dev and I started to write what went on, but, needless to say, it was not TOS-compliant.

Now that I've stuck you guys' minds sufficiently far into the gutter, I'm off to school. :D
  19. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    You could also explain how Leia recognizes Tarkins' Foul Stench. ;)
  20. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    How about the Emperor dissolving the Senate? ;)
  21. Pyxelle Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Oh! Good idea!

I gotta come up with an oblique reference to write about now...hmmm...

*Pyxelle wracks her brain for an oblique reference....*

Dang. I'm gonna have to watch the movies again...my memory is getting spotty...

Han's comment to Chewie "I'm sure he's forgotten all about that" is tempting, though...

Pyxelle
  22. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Great ideas. Bale raised a question regarding the responses. This is also an index, so if you have stories already written, send them to me.
  23. ophelia Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    I wanna know how Leia expressed her true feelings for Han in the south passage. :p
  24. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Um, the conversation about "I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee" WAS the conversation in the south passage.
  25. ophelia Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Yeah, but they seem to be making references to even earlier events there--Han claiming Leia wants a goodbye kiss and all. I'd always assumed there was some history there that was a little warm'n'fuzzier than kissing a Wookiee.

Although kissing a Wookiee would be pretty warm and fuzzy. Especially fuzzy.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.