main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You have been warned!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Plo_Koen, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Ok, I will make an exception for those who were unfortunate enough to see the original 'Star Wars' between 1977-1980, but for the rest of you:

You have been watching the Star Wars episodes in the wrong order, and you KNEW it. in 1980 'The Empire Strikes Backs' was presented as episode 5 of the Star Wars Saga, and somewhere around the same time 'Star Wars' was redubbed 'episode 4: A New Hope'. Both events got broad media exposure, you could have stopped watching right there.

For the video generation there is no excuse at all, the correct viewing order was always clearly indicated.

So far no harm done you think, you enjoyed the heck out of the second half of the Saga. But along comes Lucas with the first half, as promised since 1980, and all you do is complain and complain, how it doesn't seem to fit, how it is lackluster...

Well what did you expect, you spoiled yourself! You already know everything, who's gonna die, who's gonna live, everything that will happen. Shame on you.

Fortunately, our children will not have to endure this test of patience. ;)

2. DARTH LOEAK

DARTH LOEAK Jedi Master star 2

Feb 13, 2000
    Good topic, wrong forum.

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    My kids will still be watching them 4-6 and then 1-3

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Yeah.

Where is the mystery of whether or not Luke is Vader's father? Who is this freaky-deaky green guy on that swamp planet where Luke is looking for the great Jedi Master?

The correct order = 4-6, 1-3

5. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Poor kids, will you also let them wait 3 years between each episode?

and Obi-Zahn, for someone who has count Dooku as his icon it's funny you can't count. ;)

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Where is the mystery of whether or not Luke is Vader's father? Who is this freaky-deaky green guy on that swamp planet where Luke is looking for the great Jedi Master?

*sigh* Once again

Qui-Gon died!?!? I loved him!
    Wow! Qui-Gon's padawan took center stage!
    The Republic become the bad guys?
    That nice senator is evil? What will they do?
    Anakin's mommy died :(
    Lil Ani just killed women and children!?
    Anakin's killing everybody! :_|
    No! Obi-Wan and Anakin are killing each other! :(
    Anakin killed Obi-Wan :(
    Yoda died :(
    When will Luke know what really happened?
    He told him! [face_shocked]
    SAVE HIM ANAKIN!
    Anakin died :(

Yup. Absolutely no suprises when watched 1 - 6.

7. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    and Obi-Zahn, for someone who has count Dooku as his icon it's funny you can't count.

There are 10 types of people. Those who can count in binary, and those who can't.

8. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    The OT is the best but why are some of you going to show them in the incorrect order? You also have to realize that if TPM was the first SW film then it would have been a lot more popular and the fact that we know Anakin is going to turn makes the new films less surprising.

9. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    It has nothing to do with "popularity".

I want them to enjoy the films in the order in which I did... not to mention I don't want them overwhelmed by the effects in 1-3 and then be dissapointed in 4-6 simply because of the effects.

10. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Agreed. If you watched the OT knowing Vader is Luke's father from the beginning, you'd hardly think it was a great suprise either.

11. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Wascally, among too numerous to mention other examles, you forgot:

Yoda is still alive! :D (ESB)
    and the scheming Darth Sidious returns! :( (ROTJ)

Moments that will be greatly enhanced by watching the Saga in correct order.

And yes, the Vader revelation was great, but it's only a short rush. Knowing who Vader actually is brings greater depth to every scene he is in.

12. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    OT, PT- that's it.

13. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    If I told you I was going to punch you in the nose before I actually did, does that make it any better?

I agree with you, but not because of the reasons listed.

14. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    I would duck.

Care to elaborate?

15. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    When will Luke know what really happened?
    He told him!

what is more important, the revalation, or the timing of the revalation?

by your logic, "vader is lukes father" should have been an ad campain for ESB.

[face_plain]

16. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    *sigh*
    By my full logic, and not simply a part of it, I was illustrating how there were suprises left to be found by going 1-6 and how the revelation still had some literary impact for the characters.
    Obviously your sarcastic reply has flaws even within my own logic.
    1)ESB came out first. Before ESB no one knew Vader = Luke's dad. Thus, there was no build up to 'when will he tell him?' as it wasn't even a posed question.
    2) With them all out in order and watched 1-6, you still don't want to be ruined by the suprise that he actually told him.

17. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Don't worry fosh, the revelation will still be a revelation, but on a different level.

Question: do you still don't think of Vader as Luke's father when you watch ANH and ESB nowadays? or when you do, does it ruin the story?

Indigo, I can relate to the FX thing, but I think it's cleverly worked into the storyline: in the PT we see the center of the galaxy in it's heyday, and in the OT we only see backwater planets and industrial locales during the dark times. The more modest FX emphasise this story arc.

18. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    I guess showing your children 1-6 is like raping them. One should get arested for this! It´s a sin.

So, as soon as my son (I doubt my yet imaginary dauther will be willing to watch it at all) are able to understand the sense of the order I will make them watch it to become Star Wars fans!

19. Darth Vince

Darth Vince Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2000
    Any chance we can make posting *sigh* a an offense punishable by banning?

Seriously, it detracts from your statement when you do that, and it's just plain childish.

What we need here though are some people to experiment with. My ex said she wouldn't watch the OT until after EP. III. She wanted to see them in order. After AOTC she'd lost all interest. So I showed her ANH to regain her interest. That experiment failed when she loved ANH, but cited "Harrison Ford is so sexy" as the reason for it lol. I then asked her if she wanted to see Ep. III, and she asked "Is Harrison Ford in it?"

I'll show them to my kids in the order that I saw them. I hope I can take them to a re-release at a theatre though.

20. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    well... I guess forcing your kids to watch them in any predetermined order is... eh... not so nice.

So why don't you let them decide for themselves? If they have any mathematical knowledge, they probably won't be inclined to watch them in the wrong order, since you don't start at 4 and end at 3 when you count to 6.

But hey, at least you won't be a bad parent.

21. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Heh, my kids are currently 2 and 3, so they don't have any idea what order they are "supposed" to be in.

I am just not going to show them 1-3 until they are old enough to know the difference, and by that time, they will already love 4-6... cause they already do... well, at least Yoda and Chookie and Princess! :)

22. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Any chance we can make posting *sigh* a an offense punishable by banning?

Seriously, it detracts from your statement when you do that, and it's just plain childish.

You mean kinda like when people respond with sarcastic hyperbole?

23. RednepSuS

RednepSuS Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Poor kids, will you also let them wait 3 years between each episode?

No, not 3 years, but at least 6 months.

[face_devil] 8-}

24. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    I'll show them to my kids in the order that I saw them.

I don't think it's a good idea to show my kids the OT episodes a thousand times in random order, they'll be adults by the time we get to the PT... :p

25. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    You mean kinda like when people respond with sarcastic hyperbole?

sarcastic? how was i sarcstic?

you gave your reason for why the timing of the revalation makes it signifigant, and i gave mine as to why its original purpose matters more.

the ESB revelation scene was ment to suprise the audience through a sudden shift in the plot and characters, while at the same time, serve as the climax of the movie.

when it is just a matter of "hmmm okay, so now luke knows" the scene(and movie) looses a great deal of punch.

without the shock of the revalation, ESB is just a matter of moving from point A to point B for the audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.