You have been warned!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Plo_Koen, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rastafarian_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hm. I'll just let my child decide. I figure he or she will made his/her decision based on the coolest looking cover, as a kid would. They'll probably be too young to really care too much anyhow...
  2. Darth_Digital Jedi Master

star 4
    Ya all need to show your future offspring the movies in the order they were designed to be seen in.

Ie; Eps 4-6, THEN 1-3.

In a unique way, the Star Wars saga is a teaching tool.

Children should enjoy their Star Wars intro through the eyes of Luke and Leia, appreciating the struggles of a young generation caught up in interesting times.

Concluding with the message of love, peace and learning to understand, (and in some cases) forgive their parents for their mistakes;

Family redemption.

Then, ya throw on Eps 1-3 and let them 'walk a mile' in their parents moccasins and hope they get the idea about not leting anger, fear or aggression guide their actions.

Edit;

Its also great for teaching the errors of early dating...

-Sons should NOT fall in love with girls 4-5 years older then them.

-Daughters should DEFINETLY NOT date men ten years older then them.

:p
  3. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    without the shock of the revalation, ESB is just a matter of moving from point A to point B for the audience.

You don't know that... neither do I, but let me tell me what you lose with the revelation:

- The Anakin becomes Vader revelation in ROTS
    - The deeper meaning of the lightsaber duel in ANH
    - The sweet irony in the battle of Yavin
    - The notion that Anakin became aware of his son
    - The underlying tension in Vader's conversation with the Emperor
    - The deeper meaning of the lightsaber duel in ESB
    - The revelation that Anakin still aknowledges his former identity

Ya all need to show your future offspring the movies in the order they were designed to be seen in.

Ie; Eps 4-6, THEN 1-3.

Incorrect.
  4. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
  5. Darth-Jett Jedi Master

star 2
    Nope, If I have kids, they'll watch it in the way it was meant to be seen, Prequels First, Then the Trilogy.
  6. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    cute...

Of course you are allowed to experience the Saga in whatever idiotic order you desire in the privacy of your home. I'm only making you people aware that any other order than the numerical chronological order is incorrect.

Sure, for some years to come some people will still be 'guided' into watching them in the wrong order, but how do you think it will be in say... 50 years from now?

Will people still watch the Saga "Memento-style" then?
  7. geordiejedi1982 Jedi Master

star 1
    why should there be a right or wrong way to watch the saga?
    If somebody wants to watch it 4-5-6-1-2-3, so what? It should be just in whatever order you enjoy most. When I finally get the dvd's, I'm going to try out both ideas, and see which one I prefer.
  8. Darth_Sillyname Jedi Master

star 4
    4-6, then 1-3 (maybe)

4-6 = real star wars
    1-3 = EU
    (In my opinion) :)

Even if you view 1-3 as part of the real star wars saga (and I guess a lot of you do), I think the movies still work better when you watch 4,5, and 6 first.
    First watch the main story, then learn about the background of that story - what happened before, how it all started.
    I don't care what Lucas tells us, or how they are labeled - that is how he made them.
    But it doesn't matter too much, because these are two different trilogies that (more or less) take place in the same universe. So you can watch only one trilogy, or both trilogies out of chronological order, or both in chronological order. Whatever you want.

Oh, and the 'oh my god, he just told Luke he's his father!' thing is not much of a surprise or a shock.
    By the end of Ep3 you know Anakin = Vader.
    At the start of Ep4 and throughout ep4 and most of 5 this is completely ignored, because it was supposed to be a secret. It doesn't matter that we all know that Anakin=Vader, it's simply how those stories are told.
    Lucas might as well change the opening scrolls of ANH and TESB, reminding everybody that Vader is Anakin. I'm surprised he didn't do that with the upcoming extra special editions.
  9. DS615 Jedi Master

star 4
    My nephew watched 1 & 2 for years, and just saw 4,5, and 6 last month.
    He was properly suprised at all the right points. In addition, the death of Vader stuck him quite hard since Anakin is one of his favorite characters.

As far as I can tell, 1-6 works just fine.

Although, if you watch 1-6, you may wonder why the people and the universe stopped looking like a cartoon and suddenly turned real halfway through.

10. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    Too bad you didn't wait some longer.

But hey, experiments are underway and by June of 2005 we'll get the first reports from people who have seen the chronological saga unspoiled.

Then again, how do you objectively compare an experience? ;)
  11. Darth_Sillyname Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course there will still be surprises when you watch the PT first, but you don't really need to see the PT first for the most important surprises.

On the contrary, you get the best surprises when you watch the OT first.

Qui-Gon died!?!? I loved him!
    - You still have this surprise when you watch the OT first. You don't know in which episode Qui-Gon is going to die.

Wow! Qui-Gon's padawan took center stage!
    - Well... with Qui-Gon gone, who else would take center stage?

The Republic become the bad guys?
    - Considering that the republic was always corrupt, and considering the bad guys were behind the creation of the clonetroops, this can't really come as much of a surprise.
    Plus if you watch the OT first, you still don't know how the republic became an empire. That's still a bit of a surprise.

That nice senator is evil? What will they do?
    - The audiance will have to consist of fruitcakes if they can't tell that Palpatine is not such a great guy ;) This is already obvious in TPM.
    Plus the emperor in the OT is never called Palpatine. A first time viewer might think that senator Palpatine and that old evil emperor could be two different people (how many fans still believe that Palpatine is a clone?).

Anakin's mommy died
    - Still a surprise if you watch the OT first. You don't know when she will die, or how. Of course you can see it coming in AOTC the moment Anakin talks about his nightmares. I actually thought she would die in TPM, and was surprised when that didn't happen. That they left her behind was certainly a surprise.

Lil Ani just killed women and children!?
    - Still a surprise if you watch the OT first. Maybe a bit less shocking.

Anakin's killing everybody!
    - I guess he might do that in Episode 3...
    I don't think this can come as much of a surprise in Episode 3, but maybe to some first time viewers it will.

No! Obi-Wan and Anakin are killing each other!
    - As if nobody will see that coming. Plus I think that in the OT movies it's never really said that the two fought to the death in the PT.

Anakin killed Obi-Wan
    - Don't need to see the prequels for that surprise. Of course you won't know that Vader = Anakin, but it's still a surprise. Plus as a bonus you later get the Vader = Anakin surprise.

Yoda died
    - No need for the PT.

When will Luke know what really happened?
    - I doubt anybody will really be waiting anxiously for this super shocker. Won't be much of a surprise.

He told him!
    - Of course you'll see this one coming several hours before it happens.

SAVE HIM ANAKIN!
    - No need for the PT.

Anakin died
    No need for the PT.

- But you get the Vader = Anakin revelation in TESB, and Obi-Wan's (now redundant - for the audiance) talk in ROTJ. When you watch the OT first you still don't know 100% how it all happened.
    Plus after ep3 Anakin=Vader will then be ignored for most of the next two episodes... as if the audiance wasn't supposed to know...

- We already knew there was a deeper meaning to it. Vader had supposedly betrayed his master Obi-Wan, and now the two met again. After seeing TESB and ROTJ it became even more meaningful, and changed our perception of that scene. Cool.

- What sweet irony? That Luke is Vader's son? That Vader senses his son? Isn't the revelation in TESB sweeter?

- The notion that Anakin became aware of his son
    - Apparently this happened in between ANH and TESB, and it's revealed in the great 'I am your father' scene.

- But when Vader tells Luke to join him and overthrow the emperor, you'll know what Vader was up to in the hologram scene - when he suggested to turn Luke. The hologram scene then suddenly gets extra meaning. Cool if you think about that after seeing TESB.

- The deepe
  12. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Both orders (and mine, too!) work great.

Only if you play mathematics with movies, you'll see that they're supposed to be watched 1 to 6.

but: "You always do as you're told?", Pyro, X2 ;)
  13. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    Sillyname, I see where you're coming from, but you're still not thinking 4-Dimensional. Let me give the list a before/after treatment:

before: absent
    after: revelation

before: Obi-Wan vs. man who killed Luke's father
    after: Obi-Wan vs. Luke's father

before: Vader almost kills Luke
    after: Father almost kills son, and takes another spinning

- The notion that Vader became aware of his son
    before: absent
    after: nothing special, but something that wasn't there before

before: Vader pledges to convert or kill rebel leader
    after: Vader pledges to convert or kill his son

- The deeper meaning of the lightsaber duel in ESB
    before: Luke vs. man who killed his father
    after: father vs. son

- The revelation that Vader still aknowledges his former identity
    I guess it comes down to ROTS how powerful the revelation will still be

...In general I'd say it's more a family thing now. :D

That's what I put against the Vader surprise as compensation. Is it enough? I don't have a clue... I don't even really remember the Vader revelation anymore. :p

"The audiance will have to consist of fruitcakes if they can't tell that Palpatine is not such a great guy"

Negative, I know educated adult people who didn't have a clue. They even saw the OT before, but didn't have it fresh in mind. The thing is, when you watch OT-PT straight thru, it will be easy to deduce.
  14. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I am watching the Star Wars Saga 1 - 6. My child will watch it that way too.
  15. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
  16. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
  17. Lightsabre Fan Force Founder

VIP
    star 4
    I'll have my kids watch the Indiana Jones trilogy instead, they're out of order on purpose...
  18. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    In case you're worried:

No, I do not think the Indiana Jones Trilogy should be watched chronological...

Nor the Back to the Future Trilogy. :-B;)
  20. Vaderuncut Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lets clear this up right now..

1. Everyone keeps saying that the saga should be viewed "The Way it was meant to be seen..1-6" If this were true, GL would have released TPM in 1977

2. They are called prequels for a reason..The backstory leading up to the main original story.... END OF DISCUSSION!!!
  21. DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Master

star 4
    This reminds me a bit of a parent forcing a child to believe in their religion. Give them the facts, and let them decide for themselves which order they want to watch the movies in - it's their viewing experience, they should have the choice. For me, it'll always be I-II-III-IV-V-VI.
  22. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope not the end of discussion. I am watching it 1 - 6. My choice. Not yours.
  23. Vaderuncut Jedi Knight

star 1
    You can do whatever you want....as people have been saying...

As a matter of fact, i feel like going home tonight and watching "Old School in Slow motion...Backwards"
  24. Plo_Koen Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, I can do that too: Why should the Saga be watched 1-6?

BECAUSE THE CREATOR SAYS SO!!!

...but I don't care about that, so lets discuss some more. :)
  25. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Master

star 4
    "The OT is the best but why are some of you going to show them in the incorrect order? You also have to realize that if TPM was the first SW film then it would have been a lot more popular and the fact that we know Anakin is going to turn makes the new films less surprising."

I disagree. What would've mad it more poular?

Jar Jar Binks?
    The cheesey Battle Droids?
    The numerous fart jokes?
    The Wooden performances?
    The slow pace?

There are many other things on this list but I will leave it at that....

If TPM was the first ever SW film I don't think it ever would've made it to ANH...

D_M_S_L
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.