main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT you have learned much young one...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by mikadojedi, Dec 4, 2011.

1. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    how did vader know what level luke's learning was at when, on cloud city, they met for the first time? i love watching esb and having these questions come up..
    thanks, and may the force be with you!

2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I always figured Vader was using the Force to measure Luke's skills. Plus, he was also including a little bravado of "Wow, you must have balls of steel to face me, boy."

3. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    wow, i like that one. i can almost imagine vader saying that. but, that is a good point. vader knew something was up with luke. or how else could he have set such an elaborate trap for him on bespin. working with fett, who wanted han for jabba, bringing the empire's flag ship, and all to bear on cloud city. it was fairly elaborate. i don't doubt there was that aspect of knowing his skills via the force. and, when you think about it, did palpatine and vader think luke was even worth the effort? for the most part, until yoda came on the scene, luke was a self taught jedi.

4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    That was likely the premisis they were working under. They were dealing with a strong Force-user who was teaching himself how to be a Jedi and the two wanted to convert him to Sith-dom. Yoda probably hadn't even crossed thier minds.

Then again, I remember reading about a cut script in ROTJ where Palapatine learns that Yoda had been Luke's new mentor.

5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I think Luke's ability to keep his cool, tap into the Force and duel Vader all at once must have been impressive to Vader. He wasn't owned by his fear. Also, I think the comment was a bit of both father's pride and mockery.

6. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Vader was just referring to Luke's dueling ability at that point of the fight and the fact that Luke was able to control his fear when most wouldn't have fared so well when facing a Sith Lord.