main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST You know....I feel like this movie could have benefitted from a bit of political talk.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Air, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Air

Air Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2016
    Now, I know the absolutely droning political talk in The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones is probably one of the most detested parts of the prequel trilogy. Revenge of the Sith is praised for NOT having it and getting straight to the action for the most part, and I'm sure many people were happy it wasn't present in this movie at all too.

The Force Awakens tried really hard to be a classic Star Wars movie through and through. Cutting straight to the action and characters, and advancing the plot. Yet a issue that I've seen people have with the movie is that its not really explained how the First Order came to power, why they wanted to blow up the senate and why The Resistance seems to be acting independently from the galactic government. All of this and more is explained through expanded universe content, but why do we need to check out extra stuff in order to make sense of the First Order's motivations and history? Personally I think that they could have included at least a few lines of dialogue explaining what happened in between RotJ and TFA. I think there could have been a scene where Leia or someone else briefly explains how the First Order and Resistance came to be.

The biggest issues with the political talk in the prequels is that they were emotionless, characterless, long and completely visually uninteresting in terms of direction, sets and cinematography. A good writer and director could have pulled scenes like this off rather nicely, I think. If JJ Abrams were to be directing these scenes there would always be something visually interesting, and good direction for the characters. And with a good writer there could be some good dialogue exchanges to give them more personality than what was present in the prequels.

What do you think? Are you happy they omitted this hated part of the movies entirely? Do you agree that there should have been at least a bit of it to make the politics of the galaxy since Return of the Jedi clearer? Could they have made them fun to listen to? Do you think they could have shown the politics in a more visual manner? Or do you simply prefer the droning and convoluted conversations that went on for like 20 minutes in the prequels?

Viceroy Gunray likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Seeing as how the OP is PT bashing, and this is probably a flame war waiting to happen, I'm locking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.