main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know, I usually stay clear of EU...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by son_of_the_tear, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    But today I did something daring!

Well, to start off let me say that as far as EU has gone, I have only read the Thrawn Trilogy like when it first came out. There were somethings in it I enjoyed and some things that I did not like at all, but it was a nice read. Anyway I pretty much stay away from EU for reasons that may be obvious for some and for some other reasons I have of my own.

But today I went to this cool new store that deals with books, anime, comics, graphic novels, etc, etc.

And after looking around for a bit I noticed I had to go soon. So I had no idea what I wanted to get, so I just picked up this cool graphic novel collection of stories on a whime.

It was called SW Tales: Volume 1.

It cost me 20 bucks, but it was over 200 pages and so what the hell.

So I picked it up, started reading it and found myself enjoying it very much.

It had a great deal of good stories in it, some serious, some just plain odd and some just plain hilarious like "Skippy, the Jedi droid".

Anyway, it was worth every dollar.

Has anyone else read this volume of really interesting graphic tales?

And if there are more graphic novels like this one, which are some good ones you would recommend?

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Volume Two comes out in May...same length, same price.

3. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    You have taken the first steps to a larger world. ;)

Congrats, s_o_t_t! :) The movies rock, and I will always love them. However, as obsessed with Star Wars as I am, I want more than the movies, which is why I love the EU. True, there are some things in the EU I do not like, but then the same is true with the movies. Does being a Star Wars fan mean you have to enjoy every second of all 4 (soon to be 5 and then 6 in 2005) movies? Of course not. ;)

Tales is cool series. Some of it is considered to be within the official timeline, some of it isn't. Still a good read. I loved Tales when they first came out, so great, so funny... then they went downhill for a bit, but now they've gone back up in quality as Dark Horse heard from fans on what they did and did not like.

~*~Bria

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What you picked up was the first collection of the comic series "Star Wars Tales", it's published bi-monthly or something to that extent as far as the individual issues go, each issue has about 3 or 4 stories in them. I forget how many issues are going to be collected in each volume though, haven't picked up it up yet, but have been meaning to.

5. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I think there are 4 per TPB, though I'm not positive... my comic shop got one copy in, and they held it for me, even though they doubted I'd buy it (since I buy individual issues), and I didn't...

DH doesn't increase the price alot for TBPs and the regular issues are 4.95 if I recall correctly, so $19.95 + tax sounds like 4 issues...

~*~Bria

6. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Hmmm, interesting. Tales Volume has like around 12 stories in it. Pretty good deal.

I enjoyed it. I will admit it. The funny ones really made me bust a gut.

Now, I won't read actual EU books, so for now I will stick with the graphic novels or comics heh

A question for EU readers and those who venture into AOTC spoilers.

How will the EU deal with the more and more contradictions to it? One of them being Vader and a certain big spoiler in AOTC that was handled in another way in EU, especially SOTME and the Thrawn Trilogy?

How will the EU work that out?

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The only contradiction that AOTC brings up is Owen's relationship to Obi-Wan. Aside from that, AOTC meshes almost seamlessly with the established EU.

8. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Why do i find it disturbing that lots of people know enough about a movie (that doesn't come out for months) to say that it meshes well with the EU ? ;)

The comics are sort of like the novels : some bad, some good and some really awesome. I truly hope you enjoy them.

9. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Owen's relationship to Obi Wan does not contradict the EU. In one of the JA books, it?s revealed that Obi Wan had a brother named Owen, but it?s not the same person. Owen is obviously just a common name, like Bail or Antilles. However, the Owen/Obi Wan relationship does directly contradict the novelizations and screenplays. Luke?s references to Owen as Obi Wan?s brother are based on false information given to him by Obi Wan, and so contradict nothing; he was just misinformed.

I wonder if this means that Return of the Jedi is no longer canon? ;)

10. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    What you picked up is the first year of Tales issues. It's a quarterly series. 64 pages (twice a normal sized comic) every 3 months. IMO, the first year was by far the best. The most recent issue was #10, #11 comes out in March or it should.

If you are interesed in some AotC related comics the writer of Extinction (Ron Marz) has two comics coming out next month. Both double sized (should be 56 or 64 pages). Jango Fett and Zam Wessell. Assuming no more changes they'll both be out in March. Jango Fett was originally supposed to be out in December it's now supposed to be out in mid March.

11. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Whoops. My bad, has 16 stories in it.

Yeah, I wil probably pick up the Jango one. Not interested in Zam as a character so much though.

Yea, I know some could be cleared up easily, but in the ROTJ novel it says more than Ben having a brother named Owen. That he took Luke to his brother Owen and his wife Beru.

And that is not what I was talking about anyway. Um, well, a main one being Fett's origins and the other one being being a certain spoiler I cannot mention here bit it concerns Vader and and something that happened to him in SOTME and then alluded to in Zahn's book.

12. muuurgh8150

muuurgh8150 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Congratulations, and welcome to the rest of the Galaxy

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, understand that tales is infinities(AU of star wars) and by definition to LFL doesn't apply to the continuity. The stories are made to be enjoyable but not used in a timeline, unless lfl goes back and refrences them in a later Continuity source.

14. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    son_of_the_tear: Like I said, it's really easy to clear the cahnge with the EU. But it's pretty much impossible to clear it with ROTJ. Therefore, as ROTJ has been blatently contradicted by a more recent canon source, ROTJ shouldn't be canon. [face_devil]

15. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    sott: Zam is in the Jango book and Jango in the Zam. I think they're pretty closely linked together.

16. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yeah, the new Insider says that both Jango and Zam appear in each other's books. Anyway, I normally stay away from the comics (for no particular reason other than I really cant afford them on top of my other purchases) but SW Tales # 1 sounds too sweet to miss ! Im going to pick it up as soon as I get my hands on some $$$$. !

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In regards to the AOTC spoilers, to address the issue while skirting it, while i'm not the ultimate spoiler-repository of knowledge, my guesses could be off, but I'll venture a guess as towards what you mean...

Boba Fett's origins are not contradicted, you what happens to him during episode 2 and 3 and where he comes from, then between episodes 3 and 4 he at some point changes his identity for a brief period of time to Jaster Mereel, who is a Journeyman Protector on the planet Concord Dawn. He kills another Protector and is banished, he then briefly joins the empire as a stormtrooper recruit, but leaves after he kills a superior officer and then finally becomes a Bounty Hunter like his "father" . A history which makes sense, as I get the feeling Boba Fett would be the kind of kid who would grow up trying to figure out just what and who he is and where he belongs in life. Then, you could also argue that he only joined the protectors and stormtroopers as part of a bounty, and the men he killed were the conclusion of said job.

As for Anakin, if your referring to his loss of something rather handy, you have to keep in mind that everything thats "explained" that did so while he was Vader, so all those "explainations" were simply subsequent events to what happens in AOTC.

18. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    The Tales series is awsome. You picked up an excellent book.

19. SithSpit777

SithSpit777 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    What you are failing to consider though, is that Lucasfilm has already stated that Jaster is NOT Boba fett. They said that they were in between deciding whether he is another imposter in the vein of Jodo Kast, or just a fake cover story Fett spread to hide his true origins.

And for God sakes, before anyone goes thru the thread screaming "Infinities! Infinities!", this announcement was made before there WAS an infinities.

Same goes for Owen Lars and Ben being brothers. LFL made and announcement through the Jedi council on the main site concerning that. They are not brothers.

20. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    We're going to have to wait and see on that, Sithspit. A lot of the authors like including obscure continuity in their books, and it's quite likely that the new Boba Fett series of books will tie the continuity together. It's already quite likely that Boba's Marvel comics history will be alluded to.

21. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Or, it could be that Boba just went to Concord Dawn after AotC... it's not impossible.

22. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Dan Wallace who works for LFL has told me once that after the movies are out, he will try to incoporate all the boba fett events into a cohesive list. As well he agreed with the alias theory.

Now if the EU already does it now, so much easier for him later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.