main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know, up until the DVD set was announced, I NEVER thought that Shaw was actually Anakin...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BauconBatista, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I just thought the ghost was some other important Jedi from the days of the Old Republic. I'm serious.

[face_plain]

2. Emperor1121

Emperor1121 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2004
    Are you joking? Obi-Wan and Luke call Vader, Anakin. And then you see Vader unmasked, then that same person shows up as a ghost? How did you miss that, lol?

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    How could you have not made the connection between the guy underneath the helmet and the ghost at the end? They're the EXACT same person. It's not hard to figure that out.

4. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    It took me years to make the connection that Vader unmasked and the ghost at the end were the same person. They do look different. One guy is in Jedi robes and has hair with a big smile on his face, whereas the other one is bald and scarred.

I always thought it was just some other Jedi too. It wasn't until about fifth grade or so that I finally made the connection, so I can easily see how someone else might not have.

5. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    oh wow

that's really, really odd. who else could it have been? :confused:

you guys are silly :p

6. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Wow. I'm surprised that you would admit that 'Return of the Jedi' was over your head.

7. SW_Holiday_Special

SW_Holiday_Special Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    I too never realized that the ghost was Anakin Skywalker (it wasn't until someone told me that I found out).

8. Grand-Moff-Tarkin

Grand-Moff-Tarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2004
    When I was a kid I didn't really think too much about it. I just remember thinking 'wow, these are great movies!' Just like I first thought that DS1 and DS2 were one and the same, DS2 just being battle damaged.

Silly kids, me included.

9. masterjedi747

masterjedi747 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2004
    You know, up until the DVD set was announced, I NEVER thought that Shaw was actually Anakin...
    Come on... didn't you even ONCE watch the first few seconds of the credits after the movie had ended?
    It says SEBASTIAN SHAW AS OLDER ANAKIN SKYWALKER right across the screen in big blue letters... :rolleyes: :p

Just like I first thought that DS1 and DS2 were one and the same, DS2 just being battle damaged.
    ^^^[face_laugh] I'm sorry, but that's just too funny. :D

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Just like I first thought that DS1 and DS2 were one and the same, DS2 just being battle damaged.

My "Star Wars buddy" at school actually thought that until we were in tenth grade or so. :D :D

Though actually, I guess I can sort of understand that. The Empire could have recovered the largest piece of the DS I that was left after the explosion and starting rebuilding around it or something. :p I'm trying to remember how the opening crawl is worded. Does it specifically discount that possibility?

11. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    This is the most surprising thread in a long time.

12. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I was surprised (and amused) when someone told me that for years they thought it was Uncle Owen.

I was even more surprised when i found out there were more people who were left confused by it.

13. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I have to say, when I saw RotJ for the first time, I guessed it was Anakin, but was slightly confused as to why he looked older than Obi-Wan. I think Sebastian Shaw was 78 at the time - hardly the right age to play a 45 year old - or, indeed, a 23 year old - spirit.

14. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Well, in terms of actors, I had difficulty recognising Shaw with hair and robes as the same person under the Vader mask, but in terms of the story I knew it had to be Luke's father, Anakin - who else would it be?

15. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    "You know, up until the DVD set was announced, I NEVER thought that Shaw was actually Anakin..."

So its true. Really Young fans wernt the only ones confused by Shaw. Dang. I Didnt doubt that. Terrific observation if you will.

16. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I am doubtful.

17. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Heeey, twilekjedi. You edited my last code in that post?

18. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    ...but was slightly confused as to why he looked older than Obi-Wan.

You mean, as a kid, you really thought the old guy with the DARK hair looked older than the old guy with the SNOW-WHITE hair and beard?

When people say that they were confused because Anakin's ghost wasn't all burned and scarred, I wonder why they aren't equally confused that Obi-Wan's ghost isn't cut in half. :confused:

Well, it never made sense to me that Luke looked FIVE YEARS OLDER than his twin sister Leia.

I hope they 'fix' this. :rolleyes:

19. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, I was 14 when I first saw RotJ, so I wasn't really a kid, but anyway - yep, Shaw definitely looks older than Guinness to me. Maybe it's just my eyes, but to me he's very wrinkly, and his teeth look weird - did he have false teeth? Anyone know? I know Guinness had white hair, but that doesn't mean much - Shaw had grey hair, and overall, to me he looked older. He certainly doesn't look 15 years younger than Alec Guinness. Just the way I see it. :p

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "Heeey, twilekjedi. You edited my last code in that post?"

heeY... mE? edit? codeS? I have no idea WHat You're talking about? [face_whistling]

21. Leias_love_slave

Oct 26, 2003
    You guys are talking about codes...

...But I don'T gEt what you MEan. :p

22. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    For one person not to realise that's Anakin is incredible, but for there to be others is completely....well, I don't think there's a word for it. Then again, I've often wondered what happened to that girl in the first film who had those buns on the side of her head. Should have brought her character back for the sequels.

23. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004
    Ya know, for a while I was totally amazed that people didnt get that it was Anakin in the end. I thought it was ridiculous that I put it together as a 6 year old and lots of others couldnt.

But I will say that I am now eating crow because I always thought SS looked much younger than OB1 and I always figured he was about 50 [face_blush].

24. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    It's actually not that uncommon. I think there were a number of people who thought that the ghost was Uncle Owen. And it certainly isn't uncommon to think that Shaw looked older than Guinness since he actually was, by about 9 years.

25. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I've often wondered what happened to that girl in the first film who had those buns on the side of her head. Should have brought her character back for the sequels.

[face_laugh] That made me laugh, Palp_Faction. That's pretty good.

It is a strange phenomenon, really. Just what is it about Sebastian Shaw that makes some people not recognize this guy from five minutes earlier in the film. His face isn't that messed up in the unmasking scene at all. In fact, If the back of his head from ESB was any indication, I bet most of use expected Anakin's face to be in much worse shape, the first time we all saw him unmasked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.